What's new

Limberger Cheese....Thoughts?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@EL SOFA, there have been times when I was talking to a cheesemonger, pointed to my wife, and said "I want something that she'll make me take outside to eat."

I like funky stuff. I mean like I want George Clinton/Bootsy Collins funky stuff.

Reading about the bacterium used during fermentation I am not surprised you had this reaction.

I like cheese, the sharper the better. But there are limits and mine is OKA. I did finish a puck of OKA when my family was not around and I can tell you that melting that thing in the microwave was a mistake.
Oh well, live and learn.

Being a Wisconsin guy, I eat a lot of cheese. I can tell you that this is the right way to eat Limburger. Given it's overwhelming nature in both taste and smell, it's best consumed with food and beverages that are robust. Consumed along side a Bock, Stout or Porter and it's not all that bad.

good stock out in those parts :001_cool:

Being a Wisconsin guy, I eat a lot of cheese. I can tell you that this is the right way to eat Limburger. Given it's overwhelming nature in both taste and smell, it's best consumed with food and beverages that are robust. Consumed along side a Bock, Stout or Porter and it's not all that bad.

Yep -- the old blue-collar guys in Milwaukee used to love this stuff. Limburger with onions on rye was original pub grub in Beer City, but you're right -- the adjunct pilsners that always went with it might as well have been water. Not many beers can stand up to a ripe old slab of Limburger. I haven't touched the stuff in decades, but if I did, I'd slap it on pumpernickel and dig into the beer cellar and dust off the oldest Courage Imperial Russian Stout I could find, hoping for some barnyard aromas. One good stank deserves another.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It is hard to figure but some of the most stinky cheese tastes divine.

Many years ago I shared an office with four other people. We were coming to the conclusion that something had died in the walls and was rotting. Lunch time arrived and Andy broke open his briefcase and a wall of fumes emerged. Yes he was a Limburger fan.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Earlier today, I had some durian with a hoppy Czech pils. Limburger or some other stinky cheese goes at least as well with a relatively crisp beer with a healthy handful of noble hops.

Earlier today, I had some durian with a hoppy Czech pils. Limburger or some other stinky cheese goes at least as well with a relatively crisp beer with a healthy handful of noble hops.
I had to look up durian. Is it worse smellings than Limburger? Here's what wiki says:

its odor is best described as pig-sh**, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away.

If its good Limberger, its going to have a smell like that. Thats kind of just the deal.
When my wife and I first started dating, we were living in Wisconsin to a small town called, "New Glarus". Its a town that was first settled by Swiss immigrants in the 1840s. The story thats told is that most of them saw the rolling hills of southern Wisconsin and it reminded them of home, so they settled there. Anywho, my wife is a cheese lover and she said that she always wanted to try Limberger, so I took her to this restaurant that is known for that. This place is so legit that it has a huge map of Switzerland on the wall. Almost life size but not quite.
Anyways, she tried it and ate maybe 2 bites before she couldnt stand the smell anymore. She did say that taste was quite good but couldnt get past the smell.

When my wife and I first started dating, we were living in Wisconsin to a small town called, "New Glarus".
No doubt, the good people of New Glarus would convince you that Limburger pairs perfectly with Spotted Cow, the ubiquitous (in Wisconsin) craft farmhouse ale that is brewed in that town. I would agree, but only because I don’t much care for the beer and if I must drink it, I would prefer not to have to taste it.

No doubt, the good people of New Glarus would convince you that Limburger pairs perfectly with Spotted Cow, the ubiquitous (in Wisconsin) craft farmhouse ale that is brewed in that town. I would agree, but only because I don’t much care for the beer and if I must drink it, I would prefer not to have to taste it.
LOL...as someone who loves Spotted Cow, Id have to disagree with you on that one. I mean, I always say that Spotted Cow tastes like home. LOL

Maybe I am twisted, but just about every facet of life can be co-related to a Monty Python sketch.

You’re not twisted. There are good reasons why Monty Python sketches and movies have perennial appeal. Accuracy with skewers gives them longevity.

Old Gnome

Top Bottom