What's new

How Much Aftershave Should Be Applied?

I have come to the conclusion that I apply too much aftershave. I suspect others may also.

I find if I use only 3 or 4 drops maximum my facial skin feels better. I put that amount into the palm of one hand and rub the hands together, then I pat it into my face. I don't rub it around.

With aftershave I believe "less is more." I would invite your views on this.

I definitely think you can apply too much and it’s heavily dependant on the content of the aftershave. The splashes that have a high alcohol content can be used more liberally than those that are more heavily laden with moisturizers and such. My general rule of thumb is about the size of a penny in my palm is sufficient. After applying my hands should feel nearly dry. If i use too much i tend to have a greasy feeling face which i believe is the result of too much moisturizer sticking around. Personally i don’t like the feeling but others with different skin types might find that more is better. Also, just like any cologne, too much aftershave on a person can be offputting so i’m conscious of that as well.

Avoid being "that guy" who offends others. Only someone with whom I am intimate should be able to detect the lingering scent.

I don't see how 3 or 4 drops maximum could possibly make someone's skin feel better. It doesn't seem like that would even be remotely enough to cover the shaved area of one's face. A product can't be effective if it doesn't cover the skin. I splash aftershave on liberally and rub it in. When I'm done my face is damp but it dries very quickly. I find that most aftershaves (at least the ones I use) don't have much staying power. After an hour or so the scent is gone or you'd have to be intimately close to smell anything at all.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I put a finger over the top of the bottle and apply that to my face. Probably takes 4 or 6 trips to bottle and back to my face.

And yes, an aftershave bottle lasts me years, lol.

According to the old Mennen Skin Bracer ads, a woman shouldn't be able to smell your aftershave until her face is within ten inches of yours.

I use a dot on my palm and do my whole face.

I like to have the positive effect without the lingering smell so I cut my aftershave with witch hazel. If I want to carry a smell then I put on a cologne. I apply as much as my pam will hold. With a strong aftershave I might cut it 1 part aftershave to 3 parts witch hazel.

I tend to use lots. It's for my benefit and enjoyment.
At least five shots from a small spray bottle. Three directly on my neck, and two shot on my left hand for rubbing onto my cheeks. (The face cheeks, that is.)
I don't rub my hands together first because that wastes about 1/3 of it.

Sometimes I'll dab a drop or three on my chin just before I go to bed.

I was in a large grocery store once and caught the unmistakable aroma of Aqua Velva wafting through the air. It was from a guy 2 aisles over from me. Don't be that guy.

I’m a liberal applier of WH and once dry use a nickel to quarter size dollop of AS in my cupped palm.

+1

I tend to use lots. It's for my benefit and enjoyment.
At least five shots from a small spray bottle. Three directly on my neck, and two shot on my left hand for rubbing onto my cheeks. (The face cheeks, that is.)
I don't rub my hands together first because that wastes about 1/3 of it.

Sometimes I'll dab a drop or three on my chin just before I go to bed.

Fine AS samples introduced me to spraying AS on. It’s not quite as fun as applying with the hand, but it certainly helps make application even. I wouldn’t mind if more AS can with spray tops.

I use a lot, enough to thoroughly wet my entire face and neck. I follow it up with Nivea creme, so I don't worry about the alcohol drying my skin, and I also find that the creme knocks down the strength of the scent quite a bit (covers it up, as it were), and since I like to smell the aftershave I make sure to put on enough that I can still get a whiff through the creme.

Worth noting though that while the creme makes the strength of scent diminish, I actually think it increases the longevity of how long the scent sticks around for, so it's a win-win!

I suppose it really depends what you use. If you use a splash, 3 or 4 drops probably isnt enough but if you use a balm, it probably is.
I know that with a splash, I use quite a bit. Probably a quarter sized amount in the palm of my hand. With a balm, its more like a dime sized amount. A little balm goes a long way, I find.
If you use a splash with a lot of alcohol or witch hazel, you can get away with using more because much of it will evaporate due to the alcohol.

Top Bottom