What's new

My Grande Journey

View attachment 949662

The sales page on mine is still up as are the reviews. Link. Not that they have any for sale, but you can add it to your IB wishlist. Maybe Joe reads the wishlist data?

All they really need to do is make more exactly like mine. I see nothing to change.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The V2 made the top cap rounded and fixed some issues with the pins on the baseplate. I had both the V1 and V2 in aluminum and sold the V1. The V2 was more efficient and had less blade feel to me (weird, right?). I regretted every shave I tried with the V1, so I didn't actually understand the AC razor hype for awhile. Then I read enough reviews on the V2 to convince me to try it out, which then led to me buying the General in SS when it came out. I still haven't picked out a daily driver yet, but I'm narrowing in. I think it may end up being the RR Hawk V2. It is slightly smoother in feel than the SS General, and sacrifices a touch of efficiency, but that seems to be needed with these razors. I have to go almost 36 hours between shaves with the General or I don't have enough stubble to shave. I guess I could shave every 48 hrs, but I like a clean-shaven face, and so does the wife.

I'll be buying the new SS Hawk whenever it arrives. One of these days I'll settle into more of a routine with things. I'm thinking I should start small in the same vein that Rave uses: one week of a fixed kit. I have two badger brushes so it could work out ok, and my synths dry plenty fast enough to use daily. We shall see if I can manage that kind of shaving monogamy though...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The V2 made the top cap rounded and fixed some issues with the pins on the baseplate. I had both the V1 and V2 in aluminum and sold the V1. The V2 was more efficient and had less blade feel to me (weird, right?). I regretted every shave I tried with the V1, so I didn't actually understand the AC razor hype for awhile. Then I read enough reviews on the V2 to convince me to try it out, which then led to me buying the General in SS when it came out. I still haven't picked out a daily driver yet, but I'm narrowing in. I think it may end up being the RR Hawk V2. It is slightly smoother in feel than the SS General, and sacrifices a touch of efficiency, but that seems to be needed with these razors. I have to go almost 36 hours between shaves with the General or I don't have enough stubble to shave. I guess I could shave every 48 hrs, but I like a clean-shaven face, and so does the wife.

I'll be buying the new SS Hawk whenever it arrives. One of these days I'll settle into more of a routine with things. I'm thinking I should start small in the same vein that Rave uses: one week of a fixed kit. I have two badger brushes so it could work out ok, and my synths dry plenty fast enough to use daily. We shall see if I can manage that kind of shaving monogamy though...

I think I used to know which version my Hawk is (as in V1, V2, etc.), but I do not know now. I think it's a V1, but that's just going by memory and is barely better than a 50/50 guess.

AC.Razors.649.7-18.JPG

My other AC safety razors - the SS General and the ATT SE2/1 - went on an extended road trip. Their journey began not long after I discovered the merits of design angle (neutral angle) and steep angle shaving. Prior to that I was riding the cap and not getting the most out of the AC razors. The razors became vastly better when I began using them at a steeper angle.

All the steeper angle stuff was an outgrowth of injector shaving.

Anyway, the razors went on a road trip. I didn't think I'd miss them, but I immediately went into AC safety razor withdrawal. About that time a very nice looking new Hawk popped up on the the BST at a great price, only a dollar more than retail. I jumped on it.

If there are any improvements which should be made in the design of my razor they escape me. It's a great razor in my view of it. The only blade I've ever used in it is the Proline.

Hawk.AC.ABC.8-12-18.640.JPG

The only problem I have talking about my Hawk is I've not actually been able to compare it with any of the others. I think I like it at least as well as the General and the ATT razors, but maybe that opinion would change if I were using all of them.

Actually, I'm only using my straight razors. It's been a while since I've used any safety razor (and longer since I've used any safety razor other than the Schick E-2 open to clean).

upload_2019-2-6_10-48-1.jpeg

You mentioned something called a Daily Driver. I believe I've heard mention of these but it was always in the context of other mythical creatures such as the Pegasus Unicorn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 950013

You mentioned something called a Daily Driver. I believe I've heard mention of these but it was always in the context of other mythical creatures such as the Pegasus Unicorn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Seveneighth starts laughing
Mrs Seveneighth: what's so funny?
Shows her post.
Mrs SevenEighth: I don't get it.
SevenEighth: It's a shaving thing. Trust me it's funny.
Mrs SevenEighth: Aaaaaah...

My two favorite razors, MMOC and twin BIC blade Shake Sharp mano a mano. No "winner" but if I had to give one the edge it would go to the Shake Sharp.
proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Seveneighth starts laughing
Mrs Seveneighth: what's so funny?
Shows her post.
Mrs SevenEighth: I don't get it.
SevenEighth: It's a shaving thing. Trust me it's funny.
Mrs SevenEighth: Aaaaaah...

You're a brave man.

I don't want to hear the lecture again.

Mrs. Chan Eil Whiskers, "My grandfather had one straight razor, one brush, and one mug with soap my whole life. Why do you need more? It was good enough for him."

Etc.

Her grandfather was probably the cheapest SOB in the history of the world. That's not a compliment of any form. I did not like the man nor did I respect him much except as my wife's grandfather. I was polite and kind but it took an effort.

upload_2019-2-6_12-48-52.jpeg

I'm in real trouble when I'm being compared to him. It never comes up, but Daily Driver might be a trigger.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Marvel cap on the Conrad-Barbasol NFH plate transforms an overly mild shaver into a real winner. Glad I have the extra Marvel cap,, stock cap is going in a drawer.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Shaved consecutive days with my two "most aggressive" SEs: Colonial General in Stainless Steel with a Proline and GEM Junior (1912 style head) with a Ted Pella SS PTFE blade. Used the same soap and brush between both shaves. Brush is TurnNShave Quartermoon synthetic, soap/aftershave were WhollyKaw Pasha's Pride (fantastic soap and scent). I was recovering from a rough shave last night when I used the General.

The quality of shave, comfort of shave, and the noticeable difference in blade sharpness stood out between the two (and not in a good way). I've noted the same trend with both of these razor and blade setups in the past and always chalked it up to a bad blade or some such. And this is going to be a very contrary opinion to the general consensus here, but for me and my beard, I'd be as well off shaving with a cartridge as I would be using the GEM PTFE blades. They are one of the only blades that consistently get actually stuck in my chin hair when going ATG. I've tried many many angles with it, and about every other shave with one of these blades it gets stuck in my chin hair (like carts used to do). I then have to force it through which always takes some amount of skin and requires styptic. I often get one or two weepers in a shave. I've come to accept this as part of my normal shave routine due to my somewhat uneven (but improved) complexion. Things get planed off quite easily. The PTFE SS blades will bite in places I never get weepers, and cause nicks like I haven't had since the Edwin Jagger. The blade I used today had 3 shaves on it, this was 4. So it wasn't even too harsh because it was fresh.

I'm used to a rough shave every so often when things just don't line up well during a shave. My best GEM shaves are sometimes better than those other rough shaves. Sometimes. Most of the time I get a shave like tonight that makes me wonder if it'll be one day off or if I'll need two so my skin can heal.

The General with the Proline was a fantastic shave that was gentle on my skin. And my skin was quite irritated last night before the shave. It actually was feeling the same or better after my shave last night. Today it felt great. So the deck was stacked against the General/Proline combination. For me it is definitely the better option.

Anyone want to buy a GEM Junior and about 97 Ted Pella SS PTFE blades lol?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Shaved consecutive days with my two "most aggressive" SEs: Colonial General in Stainless Steel with a Proline and GEM Junior (1912 style head) with a Ted Pella SS PTFE blade. Used the same soap and brush between both shaves. Brush is TurnNShave Quartermoon synthetic, soap/aftershave were WhollyKaw Pasha's Pride (fantastic soap and scent). I was recovering from a rough shave last night when I used the General.

The quality of shave, comfort of shave, and the noticeable difference in blade sharpness stood out between the two (and not in a good way). I've noted the same trend with both of these razor and blade setups in the past and always chalked it up to a bad blade or some such. And this is going to be a very contrary opinion to the general consensus here, but for me and my beard, I'd be as well off shaving with a cartridge as I would be using the GEM PTFE blades. They are one of the only blades that consistently get actually stuck in my chin hair when going ATG. I've tried many many angles with it, and about every other shave with one of these blades it gets stuck in my chin hair (like carts used to do). I then have to force it through which always takes some amount of skin and requires styptic. I often get one or two weepers in a shave. I've come to accept this as part of my normal shave routine due to my somewhat uneven (but improved) complexion. Things get planed off quite easily. The PTFE SS blades will bite in places I never get weepers, and cause nicks like I haven't had since the Edwin Jagger. The blade I used today had 3 shaves on it, this was 4. So it wasn't even too harsh because it was fresh.

I'm used to a rough shave every so often when things just don't line up well during a shave. My best GEM shaves are sometimes better than those other rough shaves. Sometimes. Most of the time I get a shave like tonight that makes me wonder if it'll be one day off or if I'll need two so my skin can heal.

The General with the Proline was a fantastic shave that was gentle on my skin. And my skin was quite irritated last night before the shave. It actually was feeling the same or better after my shave last night. Today it felt great. So the deck was stacked against the General/Proline combination. For me it is definitely the better option.

Anyone want to buy a GEM Junior and about 97 Ted Pella SS PTFE blades lol?

I've not used a GEM junior, or a 1912 for that matter, but if that happened with my MMOC I'd say wrong angle and insufficient pressure. The GEM PTFE blades are among the sharpest I've used.

I'll suggest one thing you can try before you rid yourself of it Joel. The red lines at the back of the head on my MMOC.

MMOC_Fresh_Blade.jpg

Focus on putting pressure on the very back edge of the cap until your skin rises to meet the blade edge, then shave. With a fresh PTFE in my MMOC I use the back of the head applying considerable pressure. As much or more than I might with my Mach 3. As the blade wears my angle of use steepens and my pressure lessens.

You want the edge as parallel to your skin as possible with just enough pressure to make the blade engage. Get the pressure and angle right and nothing works as well as my MMOC, but like I said, I have used a Junior or 1912, but the technique should still apply.

I've not used a GEM junior, or a 1912 for that matter, but if that happened with my MMOC I'd say wrong angle and insufficient pressure. The GEM PTFE blades are among the sharpest I've used.

I'll suggest one thing you can try before you rid yourself of it Joel. The red lines at the back of the head on my MMOC.

View attachment 953057

Focus on putting pressure on the very back edge of the cap until your skin rises to meet the blade edge, then shave. With a fresh PTFE in my MMOC I use the back of the head applying considerable pressure. As much or more than I might with my Mach 3. As the blade wears my angle of use steepens and my pressure lessens.

You want the edge as parallel to your skin as possible with just enough pressure to make the blade engage. Get the pressure and angle right and nothing works as well as my MMOC, but like I said, I have used a Junior or 1912, but the technique should still apply.
I actually did try putting a lot of pressure with the handle towards the back part of the cap with a very shallow angle. I also tried a very steep angle, starting with the handle perpendicular to the ground then raising the handle until the blade engaged. Both ways, it was harsh. Steep seemed to cut a bit better, but no real difference on the chin. Hard to maintain the correct angle on the neck and chin since I have to hold the razor upside down for those areas when going ATG. Not efficient enough to do only XTG passes. Even going ATG I have some whiskers that it missed on my neck. I've given the GEM blades and GEM Junior another dozen or so shaves (maybe more) and the results seem to be the same no matter how I change my technique. I have too many other good razors at this point so I'll put it into the BST pile. Oh well, I gave the GEM platform another shot after selling off the five i used to have last winter.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I actually did try putting a lot of pressure with the handle towards the back part of the cap with a very shallow angle. I also tried a very steep angle, starting with the handle perpendicular to the ground then raising the handle until the blade engaged. Both ways, it was harsh. Steep seemed to cut a bit better, but no real difference on the chin. Hard to maintain the correct angle on the neck and chin since I have to hold the razor upside down for those areas when going ATG. Not efficient enough to do only XTG passes. Even going ATG I have some whiskers that it missed on my neck. I've given the GEM blades and GEM Junior another dozen or so shaves (maybe more) and the results seem to be the same no matter how I change my technique. I have too many other good razors at this point so I'll put it into the BST pile. Oh well, I gave the GEM platform another shot after selling off the five i used to have last winter.

Yep, cant say you didnt try!

You shouldn't judge all GEM razors based on one experience with one GEM razor.
It isn't just the Junior. I tried a G bar, MM bullet tip, Clog Pruf, Contour 2, and a different Junior. I sold all of those last winter, then later regretted it based on many threads here. Bought another Junior last May and have tried using it a number of times since. I used each of the others at least once, most of them multiple times. I just don't think they're for me. The blades have never felt like they cut my beard well, with any of the razors. They cut my skin just fine, however, lol. I think I'll stick with my injectors and AC razors and leave the GEMs to those who enjoy them.

Jim is right about Grooming Dept btw. Holy slick soap, Batman! Barely used any today and could have shaved two or three times with all of the lather it created. A dime sized amount and lots of extremely slick, protective lather issued forth. Mo has earned himself a lifelong customer. My skin needed the break today, and I got in my first soap from him I will probably have other companies' soaps, as I can't say I'm a huge fan of the scent I have, but the performance is truly outstanding.

Fine Marvel cap on Swing plate. Made for each other. Strikes me as more efficient than stock Marvel and smoother than stock Swing. Pretty close to perfect. I'm downright giddy about this one.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom