What's new

Yintal Bronze: first look

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As we have seen with the runaway success of the Yaqi shave gear, China is turning out a pretty good product these days.

I was curious about a particular line of razors from China, Yintal. So I ordered the "Bronze" long-handled model. It took about three weeks from China; arrived yesterday. Here's a look:

full

It came with a tuck of Dorcos in packaging I hadn't seen before. I do like Dorcos; got a thousand-pack of the Dorco Platinum Primes. They're good. (I was glad it didn't come with Chinese blades, which are so-so in my experience).

full

The handle is indeed long - likely going to be chopped by me - and it's bit heavy all-in-all, at 112 grams.

full

The rails on the baseplate should assure good blade rigidity.

The razor is made of brass and alloy (below), not actual bronze. Or is it?
Bronze is copper plus tin; brass is copper plus zinc.
Anyways; that's a bronze finish, with a clearcoat over it.

• Material: brass + alloy
  • Process: electroplating
  • Size: 109 * 41 * 24 mm
  • Weight: 112g
full

Though a closed-bar, a few file strokes could make it an open comb, in my opinion.

full

With a Feather in it; can see generous blade exposure.

full

full

And the lockup. Looks good.

full

Here's some info from the back of the box.

My impression: Very good quality overall. I had to rub off a bit of clearcoat from the topcap, which caused a slight wave in the bladeline. Prices vary on this model, saw it on the bid site for as much as $25. Mine was $13.75, from a seller with 100% feedback. Not a true bronze razor, but a well-made new (to me) razor.

Shaved with it this morning. The weight makes it a little, hm, not clumsy, but you have to be cognizant of the weight. More later.

AA

Last edited:
Great razor! I like mine a lot because I think it´s the perfect balance on agressiveness, I tend to like shorter and lighter handles so I cutted mine to about 3 in
There is a razor stand from Yintal that matches the razor but it comes bundled with the TTO version, which is a milder shave but it´s a good razor nonetheless...
rau9063_43556270_334292163795209_7273517704762999185_n.jpg
rau9063_43690801_482056838966746_309503457308712048_n.jpg

I find it's a good donor razor. I don't use the base plate 16g, which is a Maggard V3A but probably better made. The handle is solid brass, and I shortened mine as well. It's quite grippy. Just as far as handles go, though, I prefer the Yaqi Matte Black handle which sits beautifully in the hand. 91x12mm and 66g and solid brass with a matte black coat. I do like the top cap, and my guess is that at 16g it's brass. The base may be zamak. So this is my current razor - R41 with Yintal cap and Yaqi base. This is a really good combo at 99g, and is smooth and very efficient. Easy to get BBS and no irritation with an Astra SP in it.

R41+Yaqi1.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great razor! I like mine a lot because I think it´s the perfect balance on agressiveness, I tend to like shorter and lighter handles so I cutted mine to about 3 in
There is a razor stand from Yintal that matches the razor but it comes bundled with the TTO version, which is a milder shave but it´s a good razor nonetheless...
View attachment 953070 View attachment 953071

I see the shorter handle! Want to get this one down to around 75-80 grams ...

Can't decide, off the top or bottom. I do have a 10/32 drill and tap, for razor-handle-making.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I find it's a good donor razor. I don't use the base plate 16g, which is a Maggard V3A but probably better made. The handle is solid brass, and I shortened mine as well. It's quite grippy. Just as far as handles go, though, I prefer the Yaqi Matte Black handle which sits beautifully in the hand. 91x12mm and 66g and solid brass with a matte black coat. I do like the top cap, and my guess is that at 16g it's brass. The base may be zamak. So this is my current razor - R41 with Yintal cap and Yaqi base. This is a really good combo at 99g, and is smooth and very efficient. Easy to get BBS and no irritation with an Astra SP in it.

View attachment 953081

I appreciate your thoughts, and want to try the topcap on R41, as you've done!

"Electroplate" in the ad copy has me wondering ... bronze over brass? But why bother? More likely a chemical "bronze" finish over brass.

AA

As we have seen with the runaway success of the Yaqi shave gear, China is turning out a pretty good product these days.

I was curious about a particular line of razors from China, Yintal. So I ordered the "Bronze" long-handled model. It took about three weeks from China; arrived yesterday. Here's a look:

full

It came with a tuck of Dorcos in packaging I hadn't seen before. I do like Dorcos; got a thousand-pack of the Dorco Platinum Primes. They're good. (I was glad it didn't come with Chinese blades, which are so-so in my experience).

full

The handle is indeed long - likely going to be chopped by me - and it's bit heavy all-in-all, at 112 grams.

full

The rails on the baseplate should assure good blade rigidity.

The razor is made of brass and alloy (below), not actual bronze. Or is it?
Bronze is copper plus tin; brass is copper plus zinc.
Anyways; that's a bronze finish, with a clearcoat over it.

• Material: brass + alloy
  • Process: electroplating
  • Size: 109 * 41 * 24 mm
  • Weight: 112g
full

Though a closed-bar, a few file strokes could make it an open comb, in my opinion.

full

With a Feather in it; can see generous blade exposure.

full

full

And the lockup. Looks good.

full

Here's some info from the back of the box.

My impression: Very good quality overall. I had to rub off a bit of clearcoat from the topcap, which caused a slight wave in the bladeline. Prices vary on this model, saw it on the bid site for as much as $25. Mine was $13.75, from a seller with 100% feedback. Not a true bronze razor, but a well-made new (to me) razor.

Shaved with it this morning. The weight makes it a little, hm, not clumsy, but you have to be cognizant of the weight. More later.

AA

Great write-up it's certainly an interesting razor and has a lot of potential. Like the Karve it's weight and size can be a bit off putting but manageable.

For $13.5 its a steal!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great write-up it's certainly an interesting razor and has a lot of potential. Like the Karve it's weight and size can be a bit off putting but manageable.

For $13.75 its a steal!

Thanks. Though I haven't handled a Karve - I want one (of course!) they likely can't be compared quality-wise.

But pricewise, also not! :001_tt2:

As others have noted, it lends itself to modding - at little risk.

AA

This razor looks very solid. I will add it to my list of potential purchases. Aggression wise, what razors might you compare this to?

Shortened as shown, with round end it's 94x12mm and 75g. I would definitely take the material off the bottom and leave the thread intact. If you cut the round end off as well it's 88x12mm and 70g

Yintal1.jpg

This razor looks very solid. I will add it to my list of potential purchases. Aggression wise, what razors might you compare this to?

I'd say Rockwell 6C at plate #4. The blade isn't too well supported - I prefer more rigid designs with less blade gap and more blade forward.

Good looking razor! The design does not appear to provide particularly good blade rigidity however. There’s a decent distance between where it clamps and where it shaves.

Good looking razor! The design does not appear to provide particularly good blade rigidity however. There’s a decent distance between where it clamps and where it shaves.

Yes exactly, which is why I use an OC plate like R41 or Fatip or Old Type. All good and fit OK.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Good eye. With one shave in, I can't say much ... but did notice some blade-feedback "singing," which a firm blade-clampdown should have prohibited.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the review, interesting razor.

What he said^^^

There need to be more solid Brass/Bronze/whatever razors on the market!

The R41 is no more a rigid design than the typical EJ head. They both support the blade in the same way and the same amount.

EJ DE89 blade support points.

de89 support points.jpg

R41 blade support points.
R41 support points.jpg

I'd say Rockwell 6C at plate #4. The blade isn't too well supported - I prefer more rigid designs with less blade gap and more blade forward.

Thanks for that insight, it is most helpful. I too prefer more rigid designs, so as good as it appears to be, I don't think this razor is for me. Much appreciated!

Top Bottom