What's new

MIld blade recommendation?

I've been shaving at least once a week with my new-to-me Hoffritz Slant, a good heavy razor. But the Personna Red blade I'm using, while it has always worked well for me in my Slim, Super Speed, and Tech razors, seems a little aggressive for this razor. I've followed the idea of pairing sharp blade with mild razor (a Feather with the Tech, for instance). So I wonder if a milder blade would complement the Hoffritz.

Derbys? Voskhods? (No Gillette or P & G brands, not while they are on their current "Men are toxic" kick.) I have some Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows and Silver Blues on hand, though. Ideas?

Vosks are more hit than miss for me and pretty smooth so that night work. Astra SP? Lab Blue? I think Gillette Platinum would be good but alas, I don’t want you to compromise your morals.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I find Derby Extra work really well, but only in a rigid design. I'm not familiar with that razor so I cant say.

If you like a smooth blade, Gillette Yellow, Rapira Platinum Lux, Lord Platinum, Perma-Sharp Super, Gillette Green and Voskhod are all very smooth for me. Of them all I'd prefer a Perma-Sharp over the rest.

Rapira. Try a sampler of their various blades.
Amazon sells them, and as it happens I have some dough left on my Amazon gift card. Which ones -- Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Stainess Chrome, R. Swedish Super Steel (that sounds cool), or Rapira Super Stainless? Or I can get a 5-pack of each.

(Hey, the sketch of the guy shaving on the Perma-Sharp packet looks like Wolverine!)

Last edited:
Which ones -- Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Stainess Chrome, R. Swedish Super Steel (that sounds cool), or Rapira Super Stainless?
The only ones I tried are the Rapira Super Stainless and they give me a good shave. Not sure about the Voskhods but maybe about the same.

proxy.php

I prefer these but the platinum lux aren’t bad either.

Ordered 5 each of Perma-Sharps, Derby Premiums, and Rapira Platinum Lux. I needed to check out some different blades anyway; this provides a good excuse for some research!

I find Derby Extras work really well in my slant. Derby Premiums are quite a bit sharper, though, so I'd avoid that route if you're looking for mild.

Top Bottom