What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Would be good to know what version of the 37c are we talking about...i heard that
The new "version" is milder..

Tam
I have heard the same comments.
I'm using the RR German 37.
Love it!
It is my understanding that it is patterned after the older version.
It is a heavy razor and shaves beautifully.

SOTD 2/14 - the new star of my slant lineup

Wunderbar head on PAA 75mm brass/nickel handle
Voskhod (about 4 shaves?, nicely broken in)
Semogue 1250 boar
Col Conk Amber bowl-lathered

I am rapidly getting comfortable with the used Wunderbar I picked up on BST. I’m giving it high marks for efficiency and ease of use. I have done half-and-half shaves comparing it to my Merkur 37, ATT S2, and iKon X3. It doesn’t take second place to any of them.

The open question: what handle will be my first choice? Current contenders are RR titanium Halo 85x13mm 44g, Giesen&Forsthoff SS 80x10mm 43g, and PAA brass/nickel 75x12mm 35g. The Wunderbar head is 35g loaded.

6F1526C5-5218-4DAB-8743-1C33CE046655.jpeg

The PAA knurling has the most grip, but even the new-to-me Halo feels completely secure and easy to control in pitch, roll and yaw. At the middle length and the smallest diameter, the G&F is likely to win my favor, especially since the Wunderbar head has the bulkiness endemic to every one of my slants, except the ATT S2 head.

For me, the Wunderbar is efficient, but not aggressive. I can get BBS everywhere but the trouble spots in two quick passes, which gives me less time to enjoy the shave but enough time on my hands to overtweak the finishing touches. First world problems!

I hadn’t used the Col Conk in half a year, but reading soap threads sent me off in that direction. I found it both slicker and more protective than I remembered. A very nice soap to visit.

And boars still rule! Face or bowl! IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc...

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

Semogue 1250 boar

I am rapidly getting comfortable with the used Wunderbar I picked up on BST. I’m giving it high marks for efficiency and ease of use. I have done half-and-half shaves comparing it to my Merkur 37, ATT S2, and iKon X3. It doesn’t take second place to any of them.

The open question: what handle will be my first choice? Current contenders are RR titanium Halo 85x13mm 44g, Giesen&Forsthoff SS 80x10mm 43g, and PAA brass/nickel 75x12mm 35g. The Wunderbar head is 35g loaded.

View attachment 952882

The PAA knurling has the most grip, but even the new-to-me Halo feels completely secure and easy to control in pitch, roll and yaw. At the middle length and the smallest diameter, the G&F is likely to win my favor, especially since the Wunderbar head has the bulkiness endemic to every one of my slants, except the ATT S2 head.

For me, the Wunderbar is efficient, but not aggressive. I can get BBS everywhere but the trouble spots in two quick passes, which gives me less time to enjoy the shave but enough time on my hands to overtweak the finishing touches. First world problems!

I hadn’t used the Col Conk in half a year, but reading soap threads sent me off in that direction. I found it both slicker and more protective than I remembered. A very nice soap to visit.

Another beauty in your shave den, I see! I've been lusting for a Wunderbar for a while, but for now, I must live vicariously through you.

Semogue 1250 boar

View attachment 952882

A really nice looking setup!
This is a razor that I have been interested in.
Also curious about the ATT slant.
Thanks for the helpful review.
I always learn from your posts.
Haven't tried Colonel Conk yet.
I shaved with the German 37 today and am really liking it.
Going to try a Personna Red.
A GSB works fine.
What blades do you like?

Going to try a Personna Red.
A GSB works fine.
What blades do you like?

I haven’t tried very many blades. I have a lot of tucks to try, but I usually finish a tuck before I open the next. Plus I get at least 5 shaves out of most blades, so I will need a lot of time to get thru the blades I own.

Just my opinions so far, and not exclusively in slant razors:
I’ve liked Astra SPs and the Voskhods I’m currently using. The one Sputnik I was given started rough and then smoothed out very nicely.

Derby Extra were OK. Personna Red just didn’t do it for me, but I kept plugging almost through a tuck of 10. I was shocked to find out I didn’t like either Merkur or Timor blades.

I have over a dozen tucks of blades I really want to try, plus a few more I bought for laughs. I have GSBs and several other Gillette branded blades. Maybe I’ll give the GSBs the next slot.

Too many blades, not enough shaves in a year!
2D174BCE-29AE-4820-A2E7-01A87F542A98.jpeg

I haven’t tried very many blades. I have a lot of tucks to try, but I usually finish a tuck before I open the next. Plus I get at least 5 shaves out of most blades, so I will need a lot of time to get thru the blades I own.

I’ve liked Astra SPs and the Voskhods I’m currently using. The one Sputnik I was given started rough and then smoothed out very nicely.

Derby Extra were OK. Personna Red just didn’t do it for me, but I kept plugging almost through a tuck of 10. I was shocked to find out I didn’t like either Merkur or Timor blades.

I have over a dozen tucks of blades I really want to try, plus a few more I bought for laughs. I have GSBs and several other Gillette branded blades. Maybe I’ll give the GSBs the next slot.

View attachment 952984

If you want to try blades faster join in on The Daily Double and use two razors with different blades. I and I believe others have even used three razors for one shave. And I don't even shave my beard, just front and back of my neck and my cheeks.

View attachment 952984

Thanks!
I have a tick of Astra SPs on the way.
One of my favorites along with the GSBs and Personna Reds.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Just my limited 2-cents on blades for my Slants: Feathers, GSB and Voskhods are my faves. I worked my way through a sample pack of different blades, and most were okay (I could not make my peace with the Derby Extras, and I may be the only shaver on the planet that isn't a big fan of the Astra SPs); but if I had to pick an absolute favorite, it would probably be the Voskhods....just a really good value blade that is nicely smooth (for me).

I've been curious about the Nacet.
I want to see Switzerland someday.
My folks brought me a Grindelwald ski sweater rom their visit.
Someday...

I've been curious about the Nacet.
I want to see Switzerland someday.
My folks brought me a Grindelwald ski sweater rom their visit.
Someday...

Frankly speaking I was really surprised donc the 37c /Nacet combo....it was like there was no blade....
Switzerland is a really nice country ...lakes , mountains etc,,,

Tam

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
My Maggard slant head and WCS 110s handle works better in the the rich lather created by Arko, an Omega boar brush and my glass salsa bowl with its pebbled interior.

DSCF0002 - Edited (1).jpg

My Maggard slant head and WCS 110s handle works better in the the rich lather created by Arko, an Omega boar brush and my glass salsa bowl with its pebbled interior.

View attachment 954110

I gave up on my WCS handle of that model, even though it would probably give me a right arm to match an old time blacksmith.

But, Arko! I will never give it up. Best soap for breaking in a new boar. It will lather in spite of any residual hog grease, covers any trace of the piggery (never have smelled any pig scent on a brush myself, but I spent plenty of time with actual pigs as a lad - probably overwhelmed my nose FOR LIFE), and, as stated, is rich. Old, comfortable rich; not skinny, fashion-plate nouveau riche.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I gave up on my WCS handle of that model, even though it would probably give me a right arm to match an old time blacksmith.

But, Arko! I will never give it up. Best soap for breaking in a new boar. It will lather in spite of any residual hog grease, covers any trace of the piggery (never have smelled any pig scent on a brush myself, but I spent plenty of time with actual pigs as a lad - probably overwhelmed my nose FOR LIFE), and, as stated, is rich. Old, comfortable rich; not skinny, fashion-plate nouveau riche.
The WCS 110s handle is a tad longer and lighter than the comparable Maggard one. It gives me the right balance with the slant head so I don't have to use excessive pressure.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I just ordered one, also with titanium. Not inexpensive, buy being a slant fan, it's kind of a grail. I got back into wet shaving too late to pick up any of the RR Stealth Slants.

I have a cheap Stealth clone, price and quality both, so I can’t really judge the Stealth by it. The Wunderbar was a grail for me too, so that ‘justified’ going far beyond my usual price range.

Top Bottom