What's new

Can you help me with buying a tablet for playing YouTube videos while I learn to play the piano?

I'm interested in learning the piano, my sister is a piano teacher. (and I'm taking lessons from her.) However, I found several videos that I find helpful on YouTube. I also have the iPhone 7+ with 5 1/2 inch screen. But, given the distance from where I'm sitting at the piano, to where you place the sheet music, it's just too small to see the content.

So, I was wondering if you guys knew of a tablet or other device I could use to help me, while I learn to play the piano?

Also of concern, is the investment I will make the device won't last that long, or at least that's what I've been told. i.e. The Lyft driver said my iPhone, (that I just bought in Oct. '18) will likely last only 2 years as apps on the phone will no longer be able to support the operating system on the phone. So, I'm just wondering if there's a parallel experience like that on other devices...

Thanks in advance,

Duggo

Check out convertible Chromebooks. I have an Acer R11. I think something like that would work better for you than a pure tablet, and they're affordable.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I currently use a 5 year old iPad with no troubles (not for learning piano, however). My wife’s iPhone is just as old. They don’t go out of date as quickly as some would say, and getting that many years out of a mobile device is good. I can’t talk to Droid products, but they probably are much different.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Your Lyft driver is somewhat uneducated on the matter. Don’t listen to him. Your iPhone was originally released in September 2016, a bit past 2 years ago. You’re still getting updates right?

Just today I upgraded to the iPhone XS Max. I previously had an iPhone 6, that I got the day it was released in September 2014. 4.5 years ago. Never ran into an app or software update I couldn’t download. Now, perhaps your Lyft driver wasn’t entirely uneducated on the matter, because any Apple product 5+ years (not 2) old is considered obsolete by Apple. Meaning yeah, you may have a hard time getting app updates and software updates but you’ll still be able to use the device. Just no longer support from Apple. Any apps you currently have may not be able to upgrade - depends on the app maker. But you’ll still be able to use what you currently have.

Since I’m an Apple user of many years I’m going to recommend the ipad. I think the basic 9.7” model is now $329. For what you get that is REALLY hard to beat.

If this is for limited use, maybe one of those phone magnifiers would help out enough? To avoid the need to purchase another device. (I have never used one , so I don't know about the image quality.) There are various ones to found on the internet. An example of one that came up in a search.

proxy.php

Congrats Jason on your new iPhone.

The issue for me is a/ cost, ~300 dollars max, as I don't know how far beyond learning piano, and b/ getting the right size so that I can see the content from where you sit on the bench to where you place the sheet music is placed.

Also, my wireless - G router, (even though well out of date,) doesn't doesn't have the range to get to where the piano is. I know the signal is weak from this router downstairs. And if I'm going to be playing YT videos, won't I be needing a stronger signal?

So now what?

Thanks in advance,

Duggo

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Congrats Jason on your new iPhone.

The issue for me is a/ cost, ~300 dollars max, as I don't know how far beyond learning piano, and b/ getting the right size so that I can see the content from where you sit on the bench to where you place the sheet music is placed.

Also, my wireless - G router, (even though well out of date,) doesn't doesn't have the range to get to where the piano is. I know the signal is weak from this router downstairs. And if I'm going to be playing YT videos, won't I be needing a stronger signal?

So now what?

Thanks in advance,

Duggo
WiFi boosters go for around $50. Even in my smaller house it comes in handy. I have very little drop off in speed in my car bedroom.

Upright piano, electric piano? I've an electric that would be easy enough to mount a decent sized, inexpensive monitor to the wall above it hooked up to a laptop, well, except for the window there.

dave

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I use a 10'' HD Fire tablet from Amazon , I found mine for $135 awhile back and I am very happy
I watch YouTube all the time on it and the screen has a wonderful picture as good or better than some more
money brands

So, if all you want to do is stream YouTube videos get something cheap like a Fire tablet. Depending on screen size, you can find them under $100 pretty easily.

If you have any desire to actually USE the tablet as a tablet, you'll need to spend a bit more. Fire tablets at the low end are laggy and flaky, you'll get annoyed with them very quickly.

After a bit of research, I had an idea: What you you think if I got a second router and connected that wirelessly, on it's own SSID, so, when I went down to where the piano is, I connected to where the repeater, so to speak, I could get a strong signal in that room...

What do you think?

The problem with the two routers I own are, one, is from before the time there was such a thing as "Wi-Fi", and the other one, is a good 13 to 16 years old. but built like a tank, and on it's own, won't reach to where the piano is. I tested that out with my iPhone, and my network wasn't listed under the available WiFi connections. (down where the piano is.)

The Kindle Fire is a good idea. but "now" they all come with Alexa. i.e. Since my original Kindle Fire (Gen 1), that is. And that iteration, as of this late date, I haven't been able to find a solution solution to downloading the apps necessary, to play YouTube videos, as I couldn't find them in the "App Store." on the Kindle I own.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you to watch YouTube you are going to need the internet. If you want to watch YouTube at your piano you are going to need internet at your piano. You’ve stated your current router isn’t strong enough to get the signal there. How much do you want to watch YouTube at your piano? You may just have to bite the bullet and upgrade your router. Or run a cat5 cable from the back of your router all the way to the piano and hook in to a laptop or other device that supports a cat5.

The Kindle Fire will have a web browser that you can access YouTube from. Pretty sure YouTube also makes an app available on any device. I haven’t done the research but I’m pretty sure you can get a wireless router and a Kindle Fire for under $300. Since that is your max price. Or a wireless router and any other cheap tablet to watch YouTube on.

I'm slowly coming to that conclusion, about biting the bullet.

But, if I placed another altogether new wireless router near where the piano is located, wouldn't the wifi signal seek out the nearest and strongest signal, that being the router plugged in, in the same room? Is that how it would work?

(I'm thinking of buying one or two new routers, and going that route.) And then buying a separate device for the new router, well not technically, to access. Or would the second one be called an "access point?"

Last edited:
You could get a wifi extender/repeater instead of a second router. But before I took that step I would consider:
1) Moving your current wifi router. Maybe it is not easy or practical to move it across the room or into a different room, but just moving a few feet might make a difference. Especially if it is sitting behind something which is partially blocking the signal. Moving it to a higher shelf for example.
2) Upgrade (replace) your current wifi router since it is using older radios and standards anyway. Paying attention to product reviews to get one that has better range.

I'm slowly coming to that conclusion, about biting the bullet.

But, if I placed another altogether new wireless router near where the piano is located, wouldn't the wifi signal seek out the nearest and strongest signal, that being the router plugged in, in the same room? Is that how it would work?

(I'm thinking of buying one or two new routers, and going that route.) And then buying a separate device for the new router, well not technically, to access. Or would the second one be called an "access point?"

A totally different approach:

I use a program called 4K Video Downloader to download videos from Youtube to a PC. You could just download the video and then watch it on any device. No internet needed at the piano.

Top Bottom