What's new

Shaving daily Vs. Shaving every other day

I wistfully dream about having an hourly 5 o'clock shadow, so I could shave more!

In all seriousness, when I first started DE shaving I wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overshaved as the hobby was taking hold. Over time, I found that the irritation around my neck area completely disappeared as I learned proper technique. For a time I adjusted my technique to a two pass shave every other day and using cold water.

Now, fast forward nearly 6 years and I can shave a 3 pass shave everyday, and I've had a few two-a-day shaves in the last week as I learn how to SR shave.

Good luck!

@Dukbrand,

A little background for you... I started shaving about 40 years ago, but I just started using DE razors in September of 2017. I had to shave for work, but had to shave every other day because of irritation and ingrown hairs. I had no idea what I was doing because I had never been taught, so I just did what I saw other people doing. This is most definitely a YMMV activity.

Until 16 months ago, I used a variety of electric razors (foil and rotary) and multi-blade cartridges. I can now shave everyday without any irritation. I changed my preparation, tools, and technique. It's not perfect, but it's a heckuva lot better than when I started. And my development is a result of the wealth of information I found here on the B&B forums.

I know that's more information than you asked for. Worse yet, it may not even be relevant to your original question. If that is the case, I apologize.
I used to have the same problem using multi blade razors. Even with poor technique my skin was happier with a DE.

I wistfully dream about having an hourly 5 o'clock shadow, so I could shave more!

In all seriousness, when I first started DE shaving I wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overshaved as the hobby was taking hold. Over time, I found that the irritation around my neck area completely disappeared as I learned proper technique. For a time I adjusted my technique to a two pass shave every other day and using cold water.

Now, fast forward nearly 6 years and I can shave a 3 pass shave everyday, and I've had a few two-a-day shaves in the last week as I learn how to SR shave.

Good luck!

I've always used hot water. Is cold water better for shaving?

Ì shave every day as I enjoy the lather on my skin. Also, if I shaved less than that, I reckon I would have irritation big time. I have zero irritation and less passes are needed I reckon.

As you can see by my signature, I shave daily. For me, it's a 4-pass shave on my face and neck and 2-pass shave on my head. I never have irritation - but I have been shaving for a very long time.

I find that if I use a mild to moderately aggressive razor daily shaving is not a problem. However, a light touch is the key.

I've found that my hair grows slowly enough that is if shave daily, I get more irritation than I want. It's doable, but I'm generally not happy with it, so for years now I've been shaving every other day. I'm thankful I'm not in a situation where I have to be perfectly clean shaven and sometimes will go up to a week. But my best results come shaving every other day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This thread should give you all you need to know about cold water shaving. Believe it or not, but cold water shaving has been around for a very long time: from the 18th Century. The advantages of this kind of shaving are as follows:
  1. It saves time. No need for hot towels and elaborate preparation
  2. You can do it at any time. A number of months ago our hot water heater broke down and I could not get it replaced for a number of days. I could still shave without hot water. Other times I have been able to shave on fishing trips when warm water was in short supply.
  3. Some find that a cold water shave results in a stiffer beard which is easier to cut. The idea here is that soft beard is more difficult to cut.
  4. Hot water can dry out your skin but cold water is beneficial.

What I do is to warm water shave when the weather is cold and cold water shave when it is hot. Since it is hot more often than cold in AZ I cold water shave more often. But the fact of the matter is that I get the same shave no matter what the temperature of the shave!

When I first started shaving with a DE I was getting irritation on the right side of my neck. At first I thought it was a reaction to a scented product (which I later discovered was not the case), so I incorporated cold water shaving and this did ease some of the irritation. I still enjoy cold water shaving.

In hindsight, I realized that the irritation was the result of overzealous shaving and poor technique. Before I started to wetshave and DE shave, I used canned goop which was applied with my hand, then I dragged a multi-blade cartridge over my face with fast one pass shave and some limited touch-up. That was my normal routine. It was a reluctant chore. Then I started wetshaving with a DE razor and there many more steps involved in my shaving routine. There was hot towels, pre-shave products, various shave creams/soaps, scratchy brushes, double edge blades (various brands), slow multiple pass and directional shaves, and then post shave products. All that equated to irritation. Think of it like lifting weights, if you lifted 20 lbs every day for years, then suddenly bumped up to 50lbs, your muscles would get sore. That is my analogy on what happened with my overzealous shave routine. Eventually, my shave prep developed and my shaving technique improved which led to zero irritation.

I still use cool or cold water, I like how it feels, and I do believe it reduces irritation.

Last edited:
If I had to choose one or the other, it would be every other day. When I first started working, I had to shave every day and I couldn't wait for the weekend for recovery time. Luckily, as things became more casual at work, I could get away with every other day unless I was with clients/customers. With DE, I can go as many as four days in a row without too much pain, no more than two passes, sometimes one plus touch ups. But, I usually only go a couple of days without a break.

And, that four letter acronym...

I shave every day. I could go with every other day, but I actually enjoy the morning ritual. I find it helps to ease me into the day ahead. I don't have to shave at all anymore, but I prefer to be clean shaven. Some guys look good with facial hair; I just look like the scruffy old dude who didn't bother to shave. I don't mind being old, but I don't like being scruffy; I just don't think it's a good look for me.

Some keys to a good shave:
1. Slick lather.
2. Proper angle.
3. Light pressure.
4. Short strokes.

Shaving every day is fun...but quite often the shaves are so close and good that there's little need to do so again on the next day!

I don't have a heavy or dark beard so I could go every other day during my working years or early boot camp years. Fortunately, I wasn't a suit so most of my jobs didn't expect me to be BBS every day. If a 5 o'clock shadow appeared the afternoon of that second day, no one really noticed. Every other day (or two) always works best for my face. My normal shave is WTG, ATG and touchup. If something comes up where I have to be clean shaven several days in a row, I can get by with just ATG and minimal touchup on those consecutive days.

I don't shave everyday because my job is awesome.

When I was new to wet shaving though and wanted to shave as much as possible, I found that 36 hour shaves were the sweet spot for balancing skin irritation and keeping away stubble. Shaving every 24 hours was possible, but irritable. I may re-visit this question now though since improving my technique and making osage rub and nivea balm my post-shave treatment.

I shave every day because I enjoy it and have no skin issues. Faces pretty obviousky are different, OP needs to sort out what's best from his own experience rather then asking the internet.

I moved to every day because addiction to the hobby. Sometimes I think I'll do my previous routine of every other day, but catch myself shaving before bed on the off day. Thankfully my razor is mild and smooth.

This thread should give you all you need to know about cold water shaving. Believe it or not, but cold water shaving has been around for a very long time: from the 18th Century. The advantages of this kind of shaving are as follows:
  1. It saves time. No need for hot towels and elaborate preparation
  2. You can do it at any time. A number of months ago our hot water heater broke down and I could not get it replaced for a number of days. I could still shave without hot water. Other times I have been able to shave on fishing trips when warm water was in short supply.
  3. Some find that a cold water shave results in a stiffer beard which is easier to cut. The idea here is that soft beard is more difficult to cut.
  4. Hot water can dry out your skin but cold water is beneficial.

What I do is to warm water shave when the weather is cold and cold water shave when it is hot. Since it is hot more often than cold in AZ I cold water shave more often. But the fact of the matter is that I get the same shave no matter what the temperature of the shave!

Thanks

Shaving every day is fun...but quite often the shaves are so close and good that there's little need to do so again on the next day!

That's me. As my technique and razors have improved I now get quite close to a BBS shave, and it's really noticeable the difference that makes the following day. As a result I've just this week started shaving every other day. There again, if I feel like shaving for any reason I'll go ahead and enjoy it even if there's not that much to cut.

For years, my shaving habits were dictated by the The United States Army.

Yes. According to Drill Sergeants, an 18 or 19-year-old guy should shave every day.

Which is ridiculous nonsense.

I shave at least every other day. Sooner than that is gilding the lily. But make no mistake! Since discovering DE wetshaving I wish I needed to shave every day.

Top Bottom