What's new

Limberger Cheese....Thoughts?

I recently bought some that was on "Managers Special" because it was almost expired. Ended up making some sammies out of it with onions and herring, and some nice seeded rye.

Now I'm not going to sugar coat this. The smell was ... Sharp. Borderline unacceptable even.

Question. I now realize Im not fond of this cheese type. Can I take it back to the store and have the manager smell it? If he deems it to have gone bad, they should refund my money. If he insists that it is fine, perhaps he could eat a bite to "prove it". I have six sandwiches that have been sitting in the garage because I can't bring them back into the house.

That sounds like proper Limburger.

Returning that for the reasons you state would be like returning sugar because “it’s too sweet.”

Old Gnome

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Limburger may not be the funkiest thing out there, but it's still mighty funky. I agree that you probably got the proper article and not something that actually has gone bad.

Now if you were applying those attributes to a brie you might have a leg to stand on for getting a refund.
dave

Turns out you guys were right. The manager looked at my sandwiches, took a whiff and started coughing - almost gasping. Refused to eat. No refund and I had to leave the store.

Perhaps tonight I'll have a few more beers before attempting to eat one. Regardless, this is the last time I'm making grilled Limburger sandwiches. That much I do know...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Turns out you guys were right. The manager looked at my sandwiches, took a whiff and started coughing - almost gasping. Refused to eat. No refund and I had to leave the store.

Perhaps tonight I'll have a few more beers before attempting to eat one. Regardless, this is the last time I'm making grilled Limburger sandwiches. That much I do know...

Actually, April 1 is coming - save the stuff for a prank!

AA

Actually, April 1 is coming - save the stuff for a prank!

AA
Rats!! I knew I wasn't fooling anyone. Actually I DID have a limburger cheese sandwich and wife threw a holy conniption, lol. Can't say I blame her either.

In all seriousness though, does anyone enjoy the smell / taste of Limburger?

received_273966333264596.jpeg

I don't have it often but I like it with Liverwurst on Rye with pickled red onions and brown mustard, some potato salad and a lager. If you want to have some fun enjoy it on a long bus ride.

I don't have it often but I like it with Liverwurst on Rye with pickled red onions and brown mustard, some potato salad and a lager. If you want to have some fun enjoy it on a long bus ride.

Being a Wisconsin guy, I eat a lot of cheese. I can tell you that this is the right way to eat Limburger. Given it's overwhelming nature in both taste and smell, it's best consumed with food and beverages that are robust. Consumed along side a Bock, Stout or Porter and it's not all that bad.

Being a Wisconsin guy, I eat a lot of cheese. I can tell you that this is the right way to eat Limburger. Given it's overwhelming nature in both taste and smell, it's best consumed with food and beverages that are robust. Consumed along side a Bock, Stout or Porter and it's not all that bad.
No doubt. Have you tried this particular brand? @TexLaw earlier in the thread said Limburger wasn't the funkiest thing out there. I'd like to know what he's been eating because this Limburger I got was the rankest and worst...odor...I've ever smelled. And yet I still ate it. Granted it was late at night and I was already half in the bag..

No doubt. Have you tried this particular brand? @TexLaw earlier in the thread said Limburger wasn't the funkiest thing out there. I'd like to know what he's been eating because this Limburger I got was the rankest and worst...odor...I've ever smelled. And yet I still ate it. Granted it was late at night and I was already half in the bag..

Not that particular brand. There's one or two craft cheese producers in Wisconsin that make some pretty decent stuff. I haven't bought any in a while as there are too many other amazing cheese varieties to try.

The color of that brick in the picture you provided doesn't look quite right. Should be all white.

Top Bottom