What's new

Realistic Prepping (non-political)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As someone who grew up on a farm, the only difference between "agricultural corporations" and "independent farmers" is one of scale. There's a practical reason for that, best illustrated by the following:

My grandfather farmed with the industry standard: a mule and a plow. My father moved from a mule and plow to the new industry standard: a tractor and two-row cultivator frame. Now, you can't profitably farm with such a set up. The issue is a combination of the cost of farming, and prices that farmers can get for what they grow/raise. Those I know still in the business are practically "agricultural corporations," though you wouldn't recognize their names.

The only farmers not interested in profit are hobbyists. Even there, I can tell you of one who was very dissatisfied with their investment in goats (feel free to call it a baa-aaa-aad idea). All farming is business, and if you can't turn a profit, you have to find something else to do.

BTW, the shift in scale began maybe over a century ago. During the Great Depression, the standard was the mule and plow, and farmers were beginning to be squeezed. There was a push for collectives, the idea being that it would increase yield and efficiency. Some US experiments in that direction didn't pan out, and the drop in equipment costs and increased yields made that a mote point.

Yeah, so did mine. And Dad told me about walking all day behind a mule and a plow when he was a kid. I don't think Granddad got a tractor until after WWII. I complain about walking behind a tiller doing a vegetable garden.

My uncle has a third generation ranch. ALL the ag. equipment prices are way high. Big tractors, grain trucks, cattle trailers and the trucks big enough to pull the trailers. Hundreds of thousands of dollars.

There is one truism:

Do you know how to make a small fortune in the farm and ranch business?

Start with a large fortune. You will lose money.

My friend, Ford Motor Company does not go to Ace Hardware or Home Depot to buy fasteners.

:)

Vendors of scale do not always translate into substantial savings. I could make the same argument that a farmer with the proper license can purchase herbicides and pesticides at higher concentrations, thus at cheaper cost, than the average homeowner. And compare price by volume at the feed and seed with what you find at your local garden center. Yet that's still retail. Unless Ford buys fasteners directly from the manufacturer, then yes, they're buying retail, too.

Even if they do buy directly from the manufacturer, can you say that they're getting it wholesale? Think about various artisanal shaving products that you can buy directly from the maker: Would you call that wholesale or retail?

In the United States, medical insurance often disappears when a person loses their job due to illness. If you have money, the doctors will find a way to take it. It's easier not to make much money in the first place and go on Medicaid. Don't get married, and if you are married, get a legal separation, so you don't have to pay your spouse's medical bills.

Bingo.

Start with a large fortune. You will lose money.

True.

Half of my Italian immigrant family(the four brothers) ended up in West Virginia working the coal mines(indentured servitude) and the other half in New York. Over time, the WV clan began to farm the land, and remain there today. Those dirt farmers have a special relationship with the land(despite the economic reality) that I respect, but never understood.

Top Bottom