What's new

Birth year razors

I have never quite seen the appeal in getting a birth year razor. I think it makes more sense to obtain a razor from the year you first started shaving. There may be a few folks that kept their first razor, but I suspect many more of us ditched it somewhere along the way. The first razor I can remember using was a Schick injector razor, probably a model L. I would be far more likely to acquire one of those than I would a razor from my birth year. How many babies do you know who wet shave. Your first razor marks one of the early milestones in the passage from a boy to a man.
It wasn't a memorable moment, literally. I would guess 1979-80 at 15, but guessing that is a guess based on when most people start shaving, I think. Plus I wouldn't want to shave with either the Trac II and Atra, one of which had to be my first razor. And I know it was one of them, but it just wasn't a memorable event. I think the "Double Edge" (renamed knack)was in foreign markets, but that would be a find, if I knew the year, add didn't think the razor over all was ugly.

It wasn't a memorable moment, literally. I would guess 1979-80 at 15, but guessing that is a guess based on when most people start shaving, I think. Plus I wouldn't want to shave with either the Trac II and Atra, one of which had to be my first razor. And I know it was one of them, but it just wasn't a memorable event. I think the "Double Edge" (renamed knack)was in foreign markets, but that would be a find, if I knew the year, add didn't think the razor over all was ugly.

That would be me too, although I distinctly remember my dad taking me out to purchase a Norelco electric which I promptly used once a week! I think I still have it, although I've only used the trimmer part for the last 30 years. It used to irritate my neck something fierce resulting in a dermatologist demanding that I switch to a Trac II, which became my go to for those 30 years. I wonder why he didn't suggest DE, although I can't recall if you could even buy blades easily back then.

I would be fine obtaining a birth year razor, but it would have to happen to come my way via a trip to a flea market/antique store etc. I'm not too interested in really searching for one or a specific model.

I would be fine obtaining a birth year razor, but it would have to happen to come my way via a trip to a flea market/antique store etc. I'm not too interested in really searching for one or a specific model.

That is my feeling on it as well. I want to find it in the wild, not overbidding someone else, but would for a charity.

I have never quite seen the appeal in getting a birth year razor. I think it makes more sense to obtain a razor from the year you first started shaving. There may be a few folks that kept their first razor, but I suspect many more of us ditched it somewhere along the way. The first razor I can remember using was a Schick injector razor, probably a model L. I would be far more likely to acquire one of those than I would a razor from my birth year. How many babies do you know who wet shave. Your first razor marks one of the early milestones in the passage from a boy to a man.

I think the appeal is that birth-year razors are a possibility for more people, given the range of years Gillette made DEs. IIRC, the Black Handle Superspeed and the Black Beauty Super Adjustable were made up through the middle of 1988, so people as young as their early 30s could find a birth-year razor, and people born earlier would have an easier time finding a razor from when DEs were more common. Finding first-shaving-year razors (assuming you remember when you first shaved) would probably create a ton of demand for the last few years of Gillette DE production while leaving out everyone younger than about 45.

As for me, my first razor was my dad's crappy hand-me-down electric. Blech...I have no idea where it is, and I'm happy to keep it that way. Cartridges and canned goo were actually a step up from that abominable thing.

That would be me too, although I distinctly remember my dad taking me out to purchase a Norelco electric which I promptly used once a week! I think I still have it, although I've only used the trimmer part for the last 30 years. It used to irritate my neck something fierce resulting in a dermatologist demanding that I switch to a Trac II, which became my go to for those 30 years. I wonder why he didn't suggest DE, although I can't recall if you could even buy blades easily back then.

Same thing for me and my Dad in 1987. His view was that carts were a rip-off, the old blades were getting harder to find and he shaved with Norelcos the rest of his life. My Norelco, I still use it for trimming now, was a nightmare on my neck and the sides of my mouth. I went to carts after that almost immediately.

I enjoy the idea of birth year (quarter) razors and my year is a fruitful one for Gillette offerings.
A little earlier and I've have felt compelled to get a Fatboy.

I believe this is mine but I can't locate the date code.
stonerazor.jpg

I obtained a 1st quarter 1973 Super Speed for this exact purpose.

Waaaay cool!

Except I soon discovered the black plastic handled thing was too light in weight. And after returning to it after months of inactivity, I found it locked up tight. As in a channel lock can't open it now.

I take that as an ominous harbinger of arthritic doom...

I obtained a 1st quarter 1973 Super Speed for this exact purpose.

Waaaay cool!

Except I soon discovered the black plastic handled thing was too light in weight. And after returning to it after months of inactivity, I found it locked up tight. As in a channel lock can't open it now.

I take that as an ominous harbinger of arthritic doom...

As my birth year was the "TV Special" year, I didn't hesitate to get one. How prescient of Gillette to realize that my birth year was special!

Birth year razors are a strange concept to me. My 1984 would be.. uh, Trac 2? Sensor? No thanks on that one.

There were still Gillette Super Adjustables in 1984. Might not be easy to find but if you did you'd have a pretty good razor.

I have both a SS and a Super Adjustable from my birth quarter, but only because I could find them for a low price. $6 for one and $18 for the other. I wouldn't have paid much more for them.

Mine would be 1949, 2nd quarter. I've probably got such a beast in my collection, but no way to prove it. '46-'50 BET, '48-'50 Crat, and a cased '48-'50 SS that looks just like the picture in Mr. Razor, but no S/N or Date Code to lock it down.

Birth year razors are a strange concept to me. My 1984 would be.. uh, Trac 2? Sensor? No thanks on that one.
An original print of a certain George Orwell book would be neat, IMO. But yeah, sort of why I disliked the Started shaving Year Razor.

Yes I have a birth year/quarter Flair tip, I2. It is in better shape than me for sure and I enjoy using it on my birthday. It is a good razor for sure. I too started with a Norelco hand me down from my Dad. The Norelco died on a business trip in Bournmouth England and that is where I left it. Sorry Dad.

Top Bottom