What's new

Too many options, can’t decide on next razor

I’ve ben shaving with a DE89 for several years. I am wanting a new razor. My first thought was man the 6s looks nice and has gotten good reviews. Then I think will I use all those plates. Then I see a Fatboy, and I say yes, an adjustable that’s it. I’ve wanted to try one of those for a while. Or was it the slim I wanted. Then I see the Rex. Hmmm, I don’t know. So I go to the ATT site and see their razors and 5 piece sets. And think maybe I don’t want an adjustable.

Ha ha, I don’t know what I’ll end up with or when, but eventually I’ll get something.
Until then me and the ole EJ I’ll keep chugging along
I was exactly on the same place like you, having been an owner of an EJ DE89 for a few years. After a lot of research on the net I would say that the next logical step is to either buy an adjustable safety razor (to practice with the various aggressiveness levels) or a shavette. I did both at the same time and must admit that shavette is now my favourite tool for shaving. However the two adjustable razors that I bought are also quite good. I bought the Parker Variant and Merkur Progress.

I agree. Fatip or Schone rather than any adjustable any day of the week.

+3

I have both types—Fatip and a Fatboy. (Actually, I have two Fatips.) I prefer the Fatip.

Aesthetically and from an engineering perspective, the Fatboy is pretty cool though.

I used a Merkur 34G for 5 years straight, which is probably on par with the 89. I got bored 6 months ago and went with a Game Changer 68 Barberpole. I don't think they make the 68 anymore, but the .84 should be a nice upgrade. It took me a few shaves to get used to the wider head and slightly more aggressive shave of the GC, but I couldn't go back to using the 34 at this point.

I used a Merkur 34G for 5 years straight, which is probably on par with the 89. I got bored 6 months ago and went with a Game Changer 68 Barberpole. I don't think they make the 68 anymore, but the .84 should be a nice upgrade. It took me a few shaves to get used to the wider head and slightly more aggressive shave of the GC, but I couldn't go back to using the 34 at this point.
I started with an 89 which was too mild, then went with Maggards 3v head with a Ikon stainless handle which
became my daily razor. I got a GC .84 a few weeks back and it's a really good razor. I don't have any experience with
Fatips or any adjustables, the .84 is now my go to razor, smooth and efficient

I started with an 89 which was too mild, then went with Maggards 3v head with a Ikon stainless handle which
became my daily razor. I got a GC .84 a few weeks back and it's a really good razor. I don't have any experience with
Fatips or any adjustables, the .84 is now my go to razor, smooth and efficient

How is the maggard 3Va vs the .84 ?

Haven't tried the .84, but the V3A is the same base plate as the Yintal Bronze, which is cheaper and better off AliExpress, solid brass handle. The Yintal is quite efficient - a nice razor in fact. Probably like a Rockwell 6C on #4 comparing the two, which I have.

The .84 is a great option too. Between that and the Fatip—that would be a hard decision.

Better get them both!

I am a believer in razors that are less than $30. I can't afford anything in the hundreds, so I avoid FOMO by telling myself that something like an ATT shaves the same as a vintage gillette. Whether that's true, I don't really know, but it gets me through life and keeps me happy.

That being said, I would get two new razors instead of one expensive one. I would try the Yintal bronze because it's a great price and people seem to love it. A Fatip is reasonable, nice looking, and gets great reviews as a slightly aggressive design. If you get the piccolo, it has the heavier handle, which is counterintuitive. The grande is the lighter one.

However, if you do not own a vintage Gillette I think you owe it to yourself to have at least one. The Slim Adjustable checks all the boxes and can be had for a reasonable price. I've bought one for as little as $10. If you really want the best for yourself, though, get a Fatboy or an Aristocrat. The extra weight makes a big difference IMHO and you feel like you got ATT quality without ATT exorbitant pricing.

I would try the Yintal bronze because it's a great price and people seem to love it. If you get the piccolo, it has the heavier handle, which is counterintuitive. The grande is the lighter one.

Once you have a Yintal you can use the top cap and handle on the Fatip baseplate, giving you a heavier handle option. You can also use the Yintal handle and top cap if you wish on the Gillette Old Type, which is one reason for getting that model. Then all three can be switched about. They all use the 2 stud design.

The .84 is provides a smoother shave and is also pretty efficient. The design lets me shave around my upper lip
and nose without the worry of cutting myself. Actually, in the few weeks that I have used the .84 I haven't nicked
myself. If I had a couple hundred to get one of the top shelf razors I would but the .84 is a really nice razor.

I am a believer in razors that are less than $30. I can't afford anything in the hundreds, so I avoid FOMO by telling myself that something like an ATT shaves the same as a vintage gillette. Whether that's true, I don't really know, but it gets me through life and keeps me happy.

That being said, I would get two new razors instead of one expensive one. I would try the Yintal bronze because it's a great price and people seem to love it. A Fatip is reasonable, nice looking, and gets great reviews as a slightly aggressive design. If you get the piccolo, it has the heavier handle, which is counterintuitive. The grande is the lighter one.

However, if you do not own a vintage Gillette I think you owe it to yourself to have at least one. The Slim Adjustable checks all the boxes and can be had for a reasonable price. I've bought one for as little as $10. If you really want the best for yourself, though, get a Fatboy or an Aristocrat. The extra weight makes a big difference IMHO and you feel like you got ATT quality without ATT exorbitant pricing.

Yeah, I’ll probably go the vintage Gillette route first I’ve been wanting them for a while. Just haven’t taken the time to seriously look for one

Yeah, I’ll probably go the vintage Gillette route first I’ve been wanting them for a while. Just haven’t taken the time to seriously look for one
I would look at Slim Adjustable auctions on ebay ending tomorrow night. I have gotten most of my best deals on Sunday after many people have gone to bed.

Also, look for an Aristocrat. They absolutely rock!

Not that this is going to change anything. I totally forgot I had a gold tech in my closet. Just found it

Not that this is going to change anything. I totally forgot I had a gold tech in my closet. Just found it

The Tech is quite mild. You could shim it but you probably don't want to go down that road. You could try the DE89 handle on it. Come to think of it, the DE89 cap and handle should also fit a Fatip baseplate, or a R41 or a Gillette Old Type etc....

Is the executive a gold Fatboy?

I’m watching a few fat boys on eBay now. A few really nice looking ones are going for $50+. I saw one bottom dial that was over $600(not watching that one)

I have a Fatip Grande and Picolo Special edition (using gentile plate mostly). I would like the Op to try a new De razor. My desire is a razor among these models : Merkur 34/ Parker variant or a Rockwell 6s. But I am just concerned that I might find them no better than a Fatip and be loosing money.

Is the executive a gold Fatboy?

I’m watching a few fat boys on eBay now. A few really nice looking ones are going for $50+. I saw one bottom dial that was over $600(not watching that one)
Yes, it is. The name also applies to the gold slim. The knurling in the executive is more complex and attractive than the regular one. It's just a little detail that also makes it nicer. It was just out of reach for me, but if I'd had the money I would have bought one when I had the chance.

Top Bottom