What's new

Jack Daniel's

My first time trying this very popular brand, very, very mellow and smooth, nothing I was expecting!

It doesn't have much character though overall I give it a 6.5/10. Would make a great fruitcake soaker.

Its fine, but I find it a bit charcoal tasting, which makes sense considering the Tennessee method.

For about the same $, you can do far better. Buffalo Trace at $1 or $2 more, or Evan Williams Bonded (White label) few bucks less, or Four Roses Yellow label.

I believe Jack Daniels was made famous by Frank Sinatra (could be wrong about that though). It's a good bourbon IMHO but not worth the price. For me, it's saving grace is that it's available everywhere so I can get it when I go out and drink, kind of like Budweiser for the beer drinker.

Chris

Jack Daniel’s is an icon. A decent whiskey...yes. But there are many better and less expensive. We Tenneseans will tend to lean more toward George Dickel (white label) when it comes to TN whiskey.
Bourbons (granted, Jack Daniel’s is actually a bourbon)....the list goes on forever. So much depends on individual taste. Me? For bourbon under $100? Old Forester Prohibition Style..every time.
...and let’s not even talk about Pappy Van Winkle. For those prices it should pour and serve itself.

About ten years ago a neighbor was going to teach in England for the year. He gave me his liquor cabinet for whatever reason. Who was I to turn him down? Any ways a bottle of JD was in the mix. I gave it a good decent sample one evening. Now I have to say I'm more of a scotch drinker. So to sum up it was god awful. Sweet and blech... probably good mixed with coke or something else that's equally sweet. a mixing whiskey not a sipping whisky. IMHO I know people love it and it has a cult following but not something I would ever buy for my personal consumption.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Jack Daniel's lost a lot when they dropped the bottle proof to 80 from 94. Gentleman Jack is a little better, and the Single Barrel actually is fairly good. However, as already noted, there are plenty of better options at every price point, not the least of which is George Dickel. Frankly, I'm much more likely to go for Four Roses Small Batch or even just the FR yellow label.

However, Jack Daniel's is something of comfort food for me. I've been drinking it a for a long time, so it's sort of like when you like a bad song more because of what you associate with it than it's quality. I don't drink as much of it as I used to, but I still go back from time to time, and I do enjoy it.

jesseix, thank you. I based my assumption on a book I read by Richard Stolley: "Sinatra: An Intimate Portrait of a Very Good Year".

It's a very good book detailing life with Sinatra in the 1960's. Lots of photographs from John Dominis including some already posted here or elsewhere of him shaving. Fascinating read.

Chris

Homer...

Try their Master Distiller series. I find this to be their best "every day" offering.

Also give the Single Barrel a try...I'm one of the few who like the charcoal mellowing in Tennessee Whiskey.

Another Tennessee Whiskey that is a lot more mellow and smoother than Jack is George Dickel. I like their #12 offering.

I have to say I rather enjoy Jack Daniels. What I have discovered, however, is that once the bottle is opened it does not age well at all. I guess it must have something to do with oxidation. A freshly opened bottle has a very nice flavor with a warm and not unpleasant finish. A bottle that has been open and stored for a couple of weeks becomes rather harsh. While I like a good scotch, I have no qualms about sitting down with three fingers of JD on a couple of rocks and a lit pipe on a cold winter evening.

Took a long weekend trip to New Orleans about 5 years ago. Thought I might try a pint of Old No. 7 while I was there. I didn't drink much of it. Took most of it back to FL. A couple years later, my wife gifted me a bottle of Gentleman Jack. Much better. As far as Dickel goes, there is a note in the 8 year that doesn't agree with me, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Rye.

Wow! I guess I'm just so pedestrian. A friend of mine is a big, big Jack fan. I haven't had much in quite a few years but during a visit on Halloween night I was sipping some Jack to go with my Black Label. Man, I was thinking this just tastes good. The smoky charcoal flavor was forefront. So, it is back in my bar.

Also, really like the Dickel too. Worth a try if you haven't had it. The Dickel rye is nice also.

I enjoy good ole #7. BUT I don't think it's worth the premium price when there are better bourbons for less.

But I do buy it sometimes, as well as Gentleman Jack. Jack was the first Whiskey I had that made me say: I really do like whiskey!

I believe Jack Daniels was made famous by Frank Sinatra (could be wrong about that though). It's a good bourbon IMHO but not worth the price. For me, it's saving grace is that it's available everywhere so I can get it when I go out and drink, kind of like Budweiser for the beer drinker.

Chris

I would say that JD was famous before Frank Sinatra, but JD was indeed Frank's favorite drink. He loved it on the rocks. Recently, JD did 2 different special editions for in honor of Frank. One costs about 150 bucks (which I have a bottle of) and the other is like 600 bucks which I would not pay. In a way, I find it funny that they do a special blend just for Frank as the original was the one that he loved so much.

Great in Whisky Sours but im not a fan otherwise....much better spirits out tgere to enjoy these day...

I've never had JD in a whisky sour. I like JD just on the rocks. The Whisky Sour is a lovely cocktail. For it, I'd probably use an inexpensive Canadian Whisky. But I might try JD for this.

Top Bottom