What's new

I wonder if Old Spice will one day go back to a more serious feel in their TV ad campaigns?

I was just watching a series of old OS ads on Youtube. They are dated looking now, even ones from the 1990s. But they did capture a certain spirit, a certain romantic notion. Comedy is the thing now, and they do it well. But maybe go back to something that emphasize the original intent of the brand?

Marketing strategies don't last forever. Someday this one will be played out and something else will replace it. There's no way to know when that will happen or what the replacement will look like or what P&G plans for Old Spice's future market positioning. Right now it's their only full-line men's body care product brand, so they have to appeal to younger men to compete against Unilever's Axe. Either way, nothing that happened in the past matters anymore. All that matters is the future from where we start today.

Seems OS is focused on everything but it's AS.
OS scented everything and jokey approach is a turn off for its shaving related value for me.

OS scented everything and jokey approach is a turn off for its shaving related value for me.

No one over 50 is in their target audience. The classic scent AS and cologne are still being produced because they sell well to their old customer base, but P&G wants lifelong customers for its products, and to do that, you have to start 'em young. The kids don't want the classic aftershave splash. The scent is out of style, a lot of them don't blade shave anyway, and those that do are just as likely to use a balm or nothing at all.

If you want to buy from a company that appreciates its own legacy, use Aqua Velva instead. Combe Inc. (the owner of the brand) is privately owned and doesn't have to make public shareholders happy.

I highly doubt we will see a current OS tv ad, or for that matter, very many other aftershave commercials! Volume and margins just are not there!

I like the commercials. I work in a retail store and I have notice one or two non hipster young people wearing Old Spice Classic deodorant/bodyspray. I have a sensitive nose BTW.

:lol1:

Actually, that's the problem. Today's twentysomething women don't find it too attractive when a potential date smells like her grandfather.

While that very well may be true, how many of us used Brute back in the day not because our potential dates thought it was cool, but because we did?

No one over 50 is in their target audience. The classic scent AS and cologne are still being produced because they sell well to their old customer base, but P&G wants lifelong customers for its products, and to do that, you have to start 'em young. The kids don't want the classic aftershave splash. The scent is out of style, a lot of them don't blade shave anyway, and those that do are just as likely to use a balm or nothing at all.

If you want to buy from a company that appreciates its own legacy, use Aqua Velva instead. Combe Inc. (the owner of the brand) is privately owned and doesn't have to make public shareholders happy.

VERY TRUE! And actually a lot of those young people who wouldn't like the scent don't even shave much to begin with. But I'm surprised there's not a bit more of a market of Original Old Spice stuff for Hipsters

Don't get me wrong, I like the funny ads too. But I really liked the ones they did in the 80s and 90s.

If that's the case, even if you like the product, you aren't the target demographic for the marketing campaign. They have market research that drives their campaigns and in turn their sales. They don't need to appeal to you, they want to get the hook into someone else, and in the masses.

It's like an old soldier saying recruiting videos and slogans were different when they enlisted. Yes they were, but they aren't advertising for you, they are advertising for the people who will replace you.

Top Bottom