What's new

Cold and flu

Being pretty isolated cold and flu season came a little late for us. But it is here in full swing. As a teacher I have 600+ walking petri dishes to deal with. All it takes is one person to send their kid to school sick for things to spread like wildfire. Out of 28 students in one class, 14 were gone today.

I got a cold, at least I hope that is all it is. Woke up with a little cough but thought it was allergies/asthma left over from yesterday. Felt pretty good until an hour ago. ugh!

On my way home to take medicine, drink tea with honey and lemon, then hit the sack.

My wife, the teacher, every year it seems she's fine until the day the Christmas holiday begins, bad news, the good news is this coming Christmas, she's done.
dave

At the first sign of symptoms, I pick up Sambucol, Emergen-C, green tea with honey and lemon. Day Quil if I really feel it coming on strong, but I try to avoid stronger medication like that. With the above mentioned, I'm usually over it within a day or two.

Been dealing with a bad cold for the last three weeks...almost over it now. There were only a couple of days where I really felt unable to work, but most days I felt pretty miserable while working. Fortunately, most of what I do can be done from home or in front of a classroom at a distance from my students, so I don't think I shared it with anyone. Like someone said, lots of Vitamin C, cold medicine, and plenty of Kleenex.

My kids go to a parent participation school. I do most of the volunteering so I’m exposed to lots of viruses. I made it to yesterday this school year. I woke up at 3 am with the chills and body aches. Last weekend my first grader got pink eye and gave it to his mom. Fun times!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This. You may wish to double the amount of bourbon though.

INGREDIENTS
  • ¾ cup water
  • 1 ½ ounces whiskey
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons honey, to taste
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
  • 1 lemon round
  • 1 cinnamon stick (otional, for garnish)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug.
  2. Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Taste, and add 1 teaspoon honey for more sweetness, and/or 1 teaspoon more lemon juice for more zing.
  3. Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). Enjoy!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
This. You may wish to double the amount of bourbon though.

INGREDIENTS
  • ¾ cup water
  • 1 ½ ounces whiskey
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons honey, to taste
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
  • 1 lemon round
  • 1 cinnamon stick (otional, for garnish)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug.
  2. Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Taste, and add 1 teaspoon honey for more sweetness, and/or 1 teaspoon more lemon juice for more zing.
  3. Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). Enjoy!

I can recommend Rum and Green Ginger Wine.
If you want to get all fancy, a Dark and Stormy will work. Dark and Stormy | Stone’s Original :: Over 250 Years of History

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Teachers do have it the worst, but consider a parent who has childlings in three separate germ laboratories ..

Huh, wonder that the human race has evolved to now, or shake your head in wonder how it continues to produce

I'm quite thrilled with a number of the ideas here. I may not wait until I get some sick though, they look too good.
Oh, I'd add a mechanical addition, not so appealing but quite functional. Navage irrigation. When I'm hoping the antihistamine medications are going to do something, getting some of the gunk out makes a world of difference. Works grand with allergies too. (I was surprised when I got it, far better than spray saline and netti pots. Now I'm pleasantly pleased after using it every time to date.)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I can recommend Rum and Green Ginger Wine.
If you want to get all fancy, a Dark and Stormy will work. Dark and Stormy | Stone’s Original :: Over 250 Years of History

That will work. I like those. If you don't like the taste of bourbon or rum just substitute Everclear. That way you don't have to worry about doubling the liquor. Like Granny always said...It'll cure what ails ya.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm quite thrilled with a number of the ideas here. I may not wait until I get some sick though, they look too good.
Oh, I'd add a mechanical addition, not so appealing but quite functional. Navage irrigation. When I'm hoping the antihistamine medications are going to do something, getting some of the gunk out makes a world of difference. Works grand with allergies too. (I was surprised when I got it, far better than spray saline and netti pots. Now I'm pleasantly pleased after using it every time to date.)

I've never heard of one of those. If you want a heavy duty cleaner outer heat a small amount of apple cider vinegar in a saucepan until steaming, then breathe in the steam through your nose. That'll either kill ya or cure ya.

Last edited:
When i'd get a cough and cold as a kid i'd get steamed now and again with 'Friars Balsam' to help with things, no idea whether or not it made any difference, do recall the scent was okay.
dave

Zicam is a miracle drug for me. I use it at the first sign. I also take Zinc every day.
My drink choice is Rock & Rye with lemon or an Old fashioned.

Two days with bad chills. Maybe it’s going away. Robitussin severe helps a little, as does the tea and chicken noodle soup. Vick’s is good too. One of my meds says no alcohol. No loss since I don’t drink. The hardest part has been the cpap. I can’t breath through my nose!

At the first sign of symptoms, I pick up Sambucol, Emergen-C, green tea with honey and lemon. Day Quil if I really feel it coming on strong, but I try to avoid stronger medication like that. With the above mentioned, I'm usually over it within a day or two.
Same here.

It got me for 3 days this last week. I also took a mix with grapeseed oil extract with oregano oil, lots of honey and a shot of whiskey.

I was good as new yesterday.

Coming to the end of my battle with the flu. Yet my first grader shared his pink eye with me and it’s effecting my sinuses also. Seriously make it stop!

Being pretty isolated cold and flu season came a little late for us. But it is here in full swing. As a teacher I have 600+ walking petri dishes to deal with. All it takes is one person to send their kid to school sick for things to spread like wildfire. Out of 28 students in one class, 14 were gone today.

I got a cold, at least I hope that is all it is. Woke up with a little cough but thought it was allergies/asthma left over from yesterday. Felt pretty good until an hour ago. ugh!

On my way home to take medicine, drink tea with honey and lemon, then hit the sack.
Scumbag parents sending in sick kids. Good luck with that

Top Bottom