What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Wheee.. Made it through the month. I did end up missing out on the restock window, but I think even the few things I am low on I can't live without will last the year.

#21 still snooping around. Got notification that my Rudy Vey brush has shipped (this was a group purchase made in 2018) and Rockwell is promising the Model T I went out in 2016 for will be shipped by the end of February. So I've got some nice stuff coming.

I would totally be down with a bargain sabbatical. You could only buy things that were bargains or on sale.
lol While a neat idea, that doesn't help any of us break AD's, save money, or reduce inventory... it would end up being "Hey, this soap was on clearance! I picked up 10 of them since they aren't coming back. Sure, I spent $100, but it should have been closer to $140 before the sale. Bargain!". ;)

Well done gents, this continues to be a good read.
Whilst not participating officially, I’m certainly piggy-backing off your efforts and exercising restraint for the year. So far nothing purchased in Jan which is nice. I do have some things I’ve pre-planned on buying this year so I’ll try to stick to that agenda.

Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well done gents, this continues to be a good read.
Whilst not participating officially, I’m certainly piggy-backing off your efforts and exercising restraint for the year. So far nothing purchased in Jan which is nice. I do have some things I’ve pre-planned on buying this year so I’ll try to stick to that agenda.

Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your Avatar shows good balance and proper weight distribution during impact...keep that up as well!

I was on a business trip this week and packed my TracII handle that is all metal and has an elephant head. I didn’t think much about it since it’s still a cartridge but TSA was pretty interested in it. I was afraid I might lose it for a minute.

When flying with carry-on baggage, I leave the "good" stuff at home and bring a standard cartridge razor and some Cremo in an empty prescription bottle. I have no interest in making donations to TSA's "bin of shame".
Checked baggage obviously provides for an entirely different set of options.

I'd definitely say that's a great idea, but what about black friday when its all on sale??? BUY EVERYTHING???
This is exactly how I got into trouble in the first place! I sometimes commute into NYC and over the last 5 years, I would stop by Pasteur's on 34th Street. They have a 50% off section and I felt like i was saving money. Way too many impulse purchases. I need to avoid that part of the city!

What are you people doing to me? ARRGGGHHHH! It hurts! It hurts so bad! Make it stop! :07:

I just vacuum-sealed 9 of my soaps in their containers. They are all new and unused. Not to worry though; I still have an additional 17 pucks, tubes, and sticks that I've been working on. I plan to store the vacuum-sealed soaps in a cool dry place while I 3017 my way through the others. This may take a while.

My weekend project is to reduce my collection of razors by more than a third. There may be tears.

PAA StarCraft brush and Gamechanger with both plates arrived. Already shaved today so no report until Saturday evening.
20190201_191543.jpg

The fiancee said no more trades now either, I was supposed to be cutting back and slowing down by joining this sabbatical. Last additions to the den for a while...

Last edited:
#102 still surviving.

I dropped my alum block and it shattered to pieces. Luckily I have a spare. A bit tempted with grooming dept or T&S soaps. But stayed focused on sabbatical and efforts to minimize my gear.

It’s gonna be a long year.

The fiancee said no more trades now either, I was supposed to be cutting back and slowing down by joining this sabbatical. Last additions to the den for a while...
Tell her she's next on the trade list....no wait, that's not a good idea.....

Lol
Tell her she's next on the trade list....no wait, that's not a good idea.....
I haven't seen a listing like that on the B/S/T here before, lol. It would not be gentlemanly, certainly.

I've used my exception, a synthetic brush. Yaqi brushes were almost to a one not accessible in Canada via AliExpress during the restock window. That's gradually been turning around since then, first order able, then some models free shipping, etc.
I picked a erally simple and sharp looking Yaqi that just went way down in price and has free shipping ATM as well: US $9.0 |24MM Yaqi Black Resin Handle Yellow Soft Synthetic Hair Shaving Brushes-in Shaving Brush from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I was perfectly happy with my Razorock synthetics, but a lot of people loved the Yaqi line, so I bought two, a Rainbow and the Cola. Love them both, they seem less scritchy than the Razorock.

I was perfectly happy with my Razorock synthetics, but a lot of people loved the Yaqi line, so I bought two, a Rainbow and the Cola. Love them both, they seem less scritchy than the Razorock.
That's good to hear. :)
I think when it arrives it will go into the stash for my birthday, which is in July. Giving something new to look forward to in the back half of the year, along with a tub of Proraso White.

Top Bottom