What's new

Shaving tecnique question?

It really depends on the individual's beard.

The grain of my beard particularly on my neck changes in so many directions and then in spots swirls so that a WTG pass in meaningless. If I were to attempt to shave WTG, I would be changing the razor's direction every half inch. Instead, I look to see in what direction my beard grows the most and that becomes my WTG pass realizing that in some spots it may be XTG and ATG. I then use a very light touch in going in that direction. For me, the ONLY way I can get a decent shave is to do a 4-pass shave knowing that my first pass can be XTG and ATG in spots. A light touch is important since every pass I make consists of every beard direction.

I did the standard wtg/xtg/atg shave today.

Honestly, I did not even know the concept of "passes" until I read about them on this forum. I'd always thought of shaving as one wtg pass followed by touch-up swipes in problem areas. Wait, you mean I can re-lather?

But that was back in my disposable/cartridge days.
I have learned now to do the standard wtg/xtg/atg. With no touch ups, and re lather only. It seems to work well with my adjustable fatboy, on different settings because I'm sensitive in certain areas! I yet to try my other razors that are not adjustable, although I think it should be fine as long as I re lather. Which doesn't take up any extra time. So the standard way does work for me now, with no nicks.

Day in, day out, personal experience lets it vary for me totally. That said when I'm completely in tune and relaxed?

Four very low pressure passes: wtg, >xtg, <xtg, & atg. Copious reapplication of lather so I'm feeling well covered and warm. By the time I'm at 'beard reduction against the grain' I honestly think I'm just taking off the very tips of a side of each hair in my remaining beard which is tall enough to be caught by the blade passing by.

I draw a very rough approximation of this by thinking of a pencil when you use a razor blade to trim quarters then eighths to bring out a fine point. In shaving, what I see in my head is the blade always pulls a little, so I'm trimming quarters to the fourth pass which is where the finest "point" is cut.

When this works, interesting thing is, I feel my beard grow in "finer" than when I just wack it out with a two or three pass. Literally, the beard feels rougher when I don't relax and just remember each of those four passes is just reduction of the tips and luxuriate in the good lather, light touch.

Day in, day out, personal experience lets it vary for me totally. That said when I'm completely in tune and relaxed?

Four very low pressure passes: wtg, >xtg, <xtg, & atg. Copious reapplication of lather so I'm feeling well covered and warm. By the time I'm at 'beard reduction against the grain' I honestly think I'm just taking off the very tips of a side of each hair in my remaining beard which is tall enough to be caught by the blade passing by.

I draw a very rough approximation of this by thinking of a pencil when you use a razor blade to trim quarters then eighths to bring out a fine point. In shaving, what I see in my head is the blade always pulls a little, so I'm trimming quarters to the fourth pass which is where the finest "point" is cut.

When this works, interesting thing is, I feel my beard grow in "finer" than when I just wack it out with a two or three pass. Literally, the beard feels rougher when I don't relax and just remember each of those four passes is just reduction of the tips and luxuriate in the good lather, light touch.
That's very detailed, a lot of knowledge in your shaving regimen. I too am actually doing wtg/xtg/xtg/atg. If I want to be more detailed I guess. I'm looking forward to using other of my razors in this manner to see if I get the same results. I just have to be careful, I don't want any nicks. So I have to try to get used to it now!

@Steve1981 I'm the first to admit there are some razors which flummox me, and it's 'careful' taken to squared that saves the day and results in good close results with no burn or nick. I suppose the reason I intermittently keep putting up with such things is: "I'll let no piece of metal master me!" (and... this could also be good reason I don't shave with plastic cartridge or disposables any more? Idunno.)

@Steve1981 I'm the first to admit there are some razors which flummox me, and it's 'careful' taken to squared that saves the day and results in good close results with no burn or nick. I suppose the reason I intermittently keep putting up with such things is: "I'll let no piece of metal master me!" (and... this could also be good reason I don't shave with plastic cartridge or disposables any more? Idunno.)
@Merle As I'm new to b&b I have to say I'm learning a lot here. I will not let no metal master me no, I'm even exploring different blades for my various razors to make sure no nicks ever happen. Do to reading on here b&b an aggressive razor may need a smoother blade. I use feathers in all, but am realizing that there are other choices too. I'm thinking to buy astra blades for instance for my more aggressive razor the Fatboy.

@Merle As I'm new to b&b I have to say I'm learning a lot here. I will not let no metal master me no, I'm even exploring different blades for my various razors to make sure no nicks ever happen. Do to reading on here b&b an aggressive razor may need a smoother blade. I use feathers in all, but am realizing that there are other choices too. I'm thinking to buy astra blades for instance for my more aggressive razor the Fatboy.

The Fatboy is aggressive? :117:

I don’t find them to be honestly.

Astras aren’t bad in the Fatboy, I prefer the “smooth” route in my vintage adjustables...a nice GSB in the Fatboy on setting 3-5...melts whiskers like a hot knife through warm butter.

The Fatboy is aggressive? :117:

I don’t find them to be honestly.

Astras aren’t bad in the Fatboy, I prefer the “smooth” route in my vintage adjustables...a nice GSB in the Fatboy on setting 3-5...melts whiskers like a hot knife through warm butter.
That was actually what I was thinking when johnwick messaged me on my post. Was the GSB razors. I need to get used to more the Fatboy as well!

There is really no "proper way to shave" because everybody's beard is different. Just try various combinations of passes and go with the one that works best for you.

+1

We can tell you what works for us, that is all. We have no way of knowing what works best for you.

For me WTG followed by ATG works best.

Don't try to get it all in one pass (beard reduction) and use light, light, light pressure. Everything else is negotiable.

Top Bottom