What's new

Products you wanted to love, but...

Merkur 37c. I tried, but just couldn't get the slant to work well for me. I'm not sure if it's just that I need practice or what. I got a decent shave, but it I didn't get the remarkable difference that others rave about in a slant. I've shelved it for now and will try at a later time.

Tabac, because I love the quality of their products from using the departed Irisch Moos line from the same company, but can't stand the scent.

The Veg.- Bad Scent

The 7'O Clocks from Russia. I love the GBE from Russia, but not these. I do love the Indian 7 O Clocks, especially the Greens.

I really wanted to like:

Soap & Creams:
Tabac - I knew about the polarizing scent anyway I took my risks when I bought it. Damn, I hate it. Performance is great though.
GEO Trumper's Eucris - If the old woman purse wasn't enough I paired it with the old "moth-nipped dressing gown"
Soap Commander Courage - It smells great they said. All I can smell is wood varnish. Performance was sub par too.

Razor Blades:
Astra Superior Platinum - Not even in my top 25 blade chart
Kai - Not as bad as Astras still behind many cheaper alternatives
Rapira Platinum Plus - In my experience the worst blade ever

Razors:
Schick Krona - The mildest of the mild razors pack. I can't get a DFS even with 5 passes.
Adjustable razors - I've tried many, I didn't like any. The only survivor in my den is the Fatboy for its innate badassery.

What I wasn't expecting to be so good:
- TOBS Sandalwood
- Treet Platinums
- Razorock Plissoft Bruce
- Gem Jr. Bakelite Handle

Marvy Mug Soap. Due to the history of this product, I was hoping it would be another diamond in the rough, like Williams Mug Shave Soap. I was wrong.

HONE razor.
Totally Love, Hate.
I love the design novelty and clean smooth lines. I love that someone looked at the job and made a new tool which uses a lot of the knowledge people have gained over the years and still came up with enough difference to be patentable.
I hate that I still have a damn hard time making it work for me. I still haven't got the soap right, the pre-shave, or developed my grip. I am deterred by the skin feel of the top of the razor as I take strokes to make my passes.

And I realize, it's all me. I know I'll find a soap solution with the right viscosity. I know, doing that, I'll get the smooth flowing glide I'm enjoying with so many other different razors and soaps I Have mastered! And thence, after all that, blades will be as comfortable, and last as long, as my best 'other equipment' can produce. But, until then, I continue on, only pulling the Hone off the shelf occasionally. And I marvel at its thought out, supple design and, well-considered materials, curves, and assembly.

Top Bottom