What's new

Merkur Futur vs Knockoff

I acquired a Futur type razor with a lot of vintage Gillette’s on eBay. I am wondering what to look for to determine if it is actually a merkur, or if it is a knockoff.

I'd say post photos of yours so we might look at them with you. However, I'm off for appointments shortly and can not offer said services. Perhaps your next best idea would be to google search the Merkur Futur razor for image returns of that specific item. The photos offered might give you enough of what you need to decide, or at least points of discussion afterward here.

Lots of differences, without access to both razors however the easiest tell is the Merkur has Solingen - Germany on the bottom plate, clones nada.

Mine is definitely a clone then, kinda what I thought. Shaves pretty well though. Not really my cup of tea, but gets the job done

I have had both (original and knockoff)
For $6.00, the knockoff wins hands down. I perceived little if any difference between the two.

Easiest way to tell them apart would be by the numbers on the handle. The knockoffs (Q-Shave) will be printed on while the real Merkurs numbering will be pressed into the metal leaving a tactile feel.

I have had a genuine Futur for some years now and there is no Solingen anywhere
on mine! My favourite razor.

Gareth

I have had a genuine Futur for some years now and there is no Solingen anywhere
on mine! My favourite razor.

Gareth
Correct. The early versions of the Futur have NO markings. It wasn't until later that they started branding them with an imprinted "Solingen" in silver.

Correct. The early versions of the Futur have NO markings. It wasn't until later that they started branding them with an imprinted "Solingen" in silver.

Cheers for that. Mine came from a reputable vendor some years ago and I was now wondering if it was genuine!

Gareth

What's "early"? My 1980s Futur has Solingen on it , that was my reference.
I am double checking some reference material I have. I will get back to you shortly.

Do you happen to have a picture of your razor? Im finding some interesting and mixed results.

Last edited:
I am double checking some reference material I have. I will get back to you shortly.

Do you happen to have a picture of your razor? Im finding some interesting and mixed results.
It's a Hoffritz branded razor. Because of Zamak rot I traded the plate with the one from my Q-Shave clone.
proxy.php
proxy.php

To be quite honest, I am unable to find a definitive time for all the involved stamps and markings. They have changed several times over the years. Due to the time difference between my local time and Germany, it might take a while to get an answer, I will get back to you as soon as I receive an answer.
As of right now all the current markings look like the ones pictured.
The stamped numbers however have never changed.DSC_1970111.jpg

Top Bottom