What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I briefly had an aluminum PAA DOC flat bottom ascension. I had the same problem with the teeth. I got very good shaves with it and I liked the light weight, but the sharp teeth made the shave very uncomfortable. Since I don't use open comb razors very often, I thought maybe it was the blade. So I dusted off my Gillette NEW Deluxe, and had a great comfortable shave. It's a shame the teeth are so sharp as I really did get good shaves with it. I think the stainless steel model may be a bit too heavy for my liking.

One answer, but this PAA is aggressive razor or not? Some says that PAA Aluminium Flat Bottom is sweet some that is very aggressive...

One answer, but this PAA is aggressive razor or not? Some says that PAA Aluminium Flat Bottom is sweet some that is very aggressive...

Personally I thought it was medium in aggression and very efficient. I prefer mild razors that are efficient. I never nicked myself with the razor PAA Aluminium Flat Bottom. It may be that with users of the aluminum model they are feeling the sharp teeth like I did, and assuming the razor is aggressive. I think that if the razor was truly as aggressive as the teeth felt, I would have drawn blood more than once per shave. As always YMMV.

eric.

I finally got to use this stuff this morning and as expected, awesome performance and scent from Phoenix and Beau. I own several of their other offerings (Spitfire, Imperial Rum, Sanskrit, Coda, Pall Mall, and Albion)

I love P & B's scent offerings, as they seem to be somewhat complex. Spitfire is one of my top scents, along with Leviathan. I am finding as I try more soaps that I seem to keep coming back to the darker, more layered scents.

Again, I love Phoenix and Beau's soaps and am always pleased with the performance and skin conditioning that I receive from them.

Any other Phoenix and Beau fans out there?

I'm a huge P&B fanboy. I've got five of the soaps mentioned above (Albion, Imperial Rum, Sanskrit, Spitfire and Trafalgar - but not Pall Mall).

They tend not to get a great deal of attention at B&B, but then they aren't as easy to buy in North America. (Connaught and English Shaving Company seem to have the lowest shipping charges.)

I'm a frag head, so I love their nuanced scents. I don't know if the proprietor blends them himself or outsources to a perfumer, but there's something complete about them - my one Stirling soap, Glastonbury, smells kind of unfinished, like a proof of concept rather than the final product. I also like that there isn't too much scent with P&B, as over-scented soaps can really dry my skin - although I appreciate that puts me in a minority here.

I'm a huge P&B fanboy. I've got five of the soaps mentioned above (Albion, Imperial Rum, Sanskrit, Spitfire and Trafalgar - but not Pall Mall).

They tend not to get a great deal of attention at B&B, but then they aren't as easy to buy in North America. (Connaught and English Shaving Company seem to have the lowest shipping charges.)

I'm a frag head, so I love their nuanced scents. I don't know if the proprietor blends them himself or outsources to a perfumer, but there's something complete about them - my one Stirling soap, Glastonbury, smells kind of unfinished, like a proof of concept rather than the final product. I also like that there isn't too much scent with P&B, as over-scented soaps can really dry my skin - although I appreciate that puts me in a minority here.
I totally agree with you there, and again, Spitfire may be my favorite scent from any artisan. I loved the scent of Whitechapel as well, as it had a little bit of the Spitfire scent happening, but not quite the same, but nonetheless, I loved it.

I am a lifelong fan also.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Can anyone tell me about this? Does it stand up to Royall Lyme. I just ordered a sample. Stirling is now selling samples in singles, so now you don't have to buy 4 at time.

I'm working my way through a tub of Albion and I love the scent - it's so well balanced that none of the individual components sticks out. Unfortunately, I find that the soap dries out my skin just a bit more than others that I like as well.

I'm enjoying the Albion and have samples of Spitfire, Pall Mall, and Citra Royale to make my way through as well.

I may buy either Albion or something else again, but I've got a lot of soaps (~30) that I'll try to make my way through before I start up again.

Another P&B lover here.

Awesome performance, superb complex (but not overly so) scents and good communication from the company.

I've only tried a few of their soaps so far but Spitfire has become my favourite of all, so much so that I was compelled to get the matching solid cologne, lotion and splash.

I, too, am a little disappointed they don't get greater attention on here but maybe give it time...

I'm working my way through a tub of Albion and I love the scent - it's so well balanced that none of the individual components sticks out. Unfortunately, I find that the soap dries out my skin just a bit more than others that I like as well.

I'm enjoying the Albion and have samples of Spitfire, Pall Mall, and Citra Royale to make my way through as well.

I may buy either Albion or something else again, but I've got a lot of soaps (~30) that I'll try to make my way through before I start up again.
I am starting to have that problem now to, as I own almost 40 different soaps now.

I am starting to have that problem now to, as I own almost 40 different soaps now.
Yes - Based on current usage, I seem to go through about 650 grams of soap and cream in a year. So that means I've got at least 5 years' worth of soap just sitting there. I trimmed my inventory down last year to the stuff that I really like, so there isn't much more easy pruning to do.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a sample of their Sanskrit to try in a couple of months (I'm just working through a pile of samples one at a time), and have heard good things about the Phoenix line. If that works out for me, then I'll most probably try some of the other scents at some point.

Yes - Based on current usage, I seem to go through about 650 grams of soap and cream in a year. So that means I've got at least 5 years' worth of soap just sitting there. I trimmed my inventory down last year to the stuff that I really like, so there isn't much more easy pruning to do.

Wow! That's several times more than I use. I use about 0.25g per shave of triple milled soaps like Mitchell's, and about 0.5g per shave of the softer craft soaps (melt and pour type). A puck of Mitchell's will give me 500 shaves, and one of the local craft soaps (the type that many say are bath soaps with clay in) will give me around 200 shaves from a 100g tub. So I'm using between 90g to 180g per year, based on daily shaves, depending on the soaps used.

In full disclosure, I should say I do have a handlebarred goatee, but am shaving about 75% of my entire beard area.

...and i almost forgot - it's adjustable. So, loosening 1/4 turn will make it more aggressive. I've had a couple great shaves by doing a 1st pass with it loosened 1/4 turn, then finish up with it tightened down.

According to my wife, Albion leaves me smelling of patchouli - a scent I love, but she detests. Generally speaking, any soap that leaves its scent on me is drying, no matter what post-shave ingredients have gone into it. (Proraso pre-shave solves both issues, BTW.)

I have a sample of their Sanskrit to try in a couple of months (I'm just working through a pile of samples one at a time), and have heard good things about the Phoenix line. If that works out for me, then I'll most probably try some of the other scents at some point.

Wow! That's several times more than I use. I use about 0.25g per shave of triple milled soaps like Mitchell's, and about 0.5g per shave of the softer craft soaps (melt and pour type). A puck of Mitchell's will give me 500 shaves, and one of the local craft soaps (the type that many say are bath soaps with clay in) will give me around 200 shaves from a 100g tub. So I'm using between 90g to 180g per year, based on daily shaves, depending on the soaps used.

In full disclosure, I should say I do have a handlebarred goatee, but am shaving about 75% of my entire beard area.
In my defense :001_rolle about half of my usage is creams and samples, of which I tend to use more. But given the amount of soap I have stored up I don't mind loading things up.

I love the P&B Spitfire scent, but IMO the other British soapmaker OSP is a tad better soap and has some wonderful scents as well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I love the P&B Spitfire scent, but IMO the other British soapmaker OSP is a tad better soap and has some wonderful scents as well.

This might (and probably should) sound really petty, but the name Obsessive Soap Perfectionist makes me want to avoid the brand out of principle for being too pretentious.

I'm funny like that :letterk1:

It's pretty much exactly like lime juice. If that's what you are going for, it's a very pure lime. Personally I want something that's a bit different than pure lime. Also I ordered the "glacial" version, which has extra, extra menthol. It's honestly too much menthol for me. LOTS of menthol burn. That's not what you were asking about, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Brian.

Top Bottom