What's new

Grah & Plumacher Restoration

Working on the 90 year old razor that was given to me with heavy rust. I’ve sanded it down to this pitting. Any suggestions? Will I ever get through the pitting without wearing out the blade?

Attachments

• 2A91FB40-8572-4EEE-A498-DBD81F11BDB3.jpeg
    2A91FB40-8572-4EEE-A498-DBD81F11BDB3.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 33
  • A78C28D1-597D-412B-8A40-1FBE651A9BE4.jpeg
    A78C28D1-597D-412B-8A40-1FBE651A9BE4.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 33
It looks like there is too much compromised Steel at the edge . Bye the time you remove steel to get to the good steel to set the bevel .You will lose to much Steel to have a proper bevel angle and the razor most likely will not shave well.Sorry for the bad news .

that pitting is significant. on a full hollow that could be a deal breaker on wanting to spend resources on it. try honing first and if it keeps a solid edge, that may be as far as you would want to restore it.

It looks to me like celluloid rot caused by the natural off-gassing of old celluloid. This is common on some brands of vintage razors. I'm not saying that the razor isn't salvageable as I've been able to save some razors that looked similar. However, you will want to replace those scales and avoid storing that razor long-term around other razors as it is quite contagious.

It looks to me like celluloid rot caused by the natural off-gassing of old celluloid. This is common on some brands of vintage razors. I'm not saying that the razor isn't salvageable as I've been able to save some razors that looked similar. However, you will want to replace those scales and avoid storing that razor long-term around other razors as it is quite contagious.

So it’s all celluloid that produces rust causing gas?

i’m not sure all celluloid, but i may not remember correctly. i think there were some colors that off gassed way worse than others.

Top Bottom