What's new

I Dont See A Reason To Try Shavette Straight Razor

As I pointed out earlier my cheapest shavette($3) gives the best result.I get consistent DFS and sometimes a BBS with it.My swinglock($9) is awkward in comparison,the stainless steel slidelock with long blades ($15) one is just a cutter.Flesh,hair does not matter.The slidelock can't come apart so that should allay your fears.,I can see a very remote chance of that with a swinglock.Aligning the blades is no problem just slide the cutouts under the prongs pull or push it shut ,visually check the alignment.Apply to whiskers!

One day I may spring for a 40-50 dollar shavette but right now I am happy with my cheapie.

The only reason to consider a shavette is to save maintainence vs. use of a straight, at least IMO!

The only way I think I would ever try it is if i bought one of those expensive brand japanese ones that look exactly like straight razors but the pricing is way out for me unless your a barber.

Sometimes I shave with DE razors. I get my best shaves using a well honed straight razor for two passes and then use a DE for the cleanup pass. Before I purchased my first "real" straight razor, I tried a shavette. It was too light in weight and poorly balanced. I have not tried one of the Feather shavettes, but if I were interested in going back to a shavette, that is the only way I would consider it.

BTW- My barber uses a shavette to shave the back of my neck after a hair cut. In between hair cuts, I shave back there with a cartridge razor. The cartridge gives a far more comfortable shave. My face is far more sensitive than the back of my neck, so I would hate to find out how the shavette would do on my face.

If you want to shave with a straight razor, I suggest a 'real" straight razor that has been properly honed. If you do not want the "hassle" of maintaining a SR, stick with a DE or SE.

I've used DE's, Shavettes and a straight. Its all personal preference, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm still a relative noob when it comes to straights, but I used a shavette for a little while a couple of years ago. I had the Parker SR 1 (silver scales). On the plus side, like others have said, you don't have to hone or strop it. When the blade gets dull, pop a new one in and you're good to go. They're just as sharp as a DE, so they generally won't snag while shaving against the grain, as a straight can do when it's about to need a refresh. On the other hand, they're extremely light, which may or may not be a good thing, again, personal preference. The biggest annoyance I ran into with shavettes was the size of the blade. You're only shaving a section as wide as a DE, but there's no safety bar so you have to slow down and pay attention. In my experience, this usually left me with dry lather by the time I was done with the face and starting on the neck. With an actual straight, you've got around 3 inches of blade to work with, which can save time on bigger flatter areas. Plus, to me, shavettes simply don't fit my hand very well, they're a tad too small. Just like a DE or straight, it takes time patience and practice to learn the shavette, but it can give just as good a shave as anything else. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't see a reason to try a shavette, skip it. If you do pick one up, they're pretty cheap, and if you don't like it, they make fairly decent box cutters/letter openers. Learn what you're interested in, and use whatever gives you the best shave.

Cheers!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Follow the video if you want to learn to shave.

Hone is as simple as pushing razors across 3m films laying on a flat marble floor tile.

Stopping is even more simple than honing .

There is no finer shavette than a Feather SS with Artist club blades .

+1 to both. I have maintained a Dovo for quite a few years now with just 3M lapping film and 0.5 CrOx.

Have several types of Shavette, WWII Medical Corps, Sanguin R5 and others. But when I reach for a shavette, 9 out of 10 times it's a Feather AC. I actually prefer the finished shave feel and closeness of the Shavette's over the Straight.

+1 to both. I have maintained a Dovo for quite a few years now with just 3M lapping film and 0.5 CrOx.

Have several types of Shavette, WWII Medical Corps, Sanguin R5 and others. But when I reach for a shavette, 9 out of 10 times it's a Feather AC. I actually prefer the finished shave feel and closeness of the Shavette's over the Straight.
interesting shavette gives you a closer shave?

I haven't tried a traditional straight, but hope to some day. I do have a couple of shavettes. For me they work fine. Sure, there is a learning curve but its not as bad as I thought it would be. They will punish you if your attention wanders.

I do have to agree that the Feather AC razor gives me a better shave than my DEs. A good DE shave though is plenty good enough for most days.

I wanted to try straights but didn't want to make the investment in hardware but then I guess one that usesan artist club blade for a very good price, so I couldn't resist. After getting a couple of good shaves with it, I finally decided to make the plunge into straights but not, I have to find a honemeister in my area and a strop. I would have never thought about doing it until I tried a Shavette. They aren't as forgiving but then you have to maintain the blade.

I haven't tried a traditional straight, but hope to some day. I do have a couple of shavettes. For me they work fine. Sure, there is a learning curve but its not as bad as I thought it would be. They will punish you if your attention wanders.

I do have to agree that the Feather AC razor gives me a better shave than my DEs. A good DE shave though is plenty good enough for most days.
agree de is the way to go for me.

Top Bottom