What's new

I gotta be crazy

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
If you want, you can tell a joke.
As soon as the last arrive, I'll get the samples filled and in the post.
Can’t wait. Okay, here goes... What do pigs and ink have in common?

They both go in pens! :lol1: :thumbdown

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't use them because of several pens I've worked on that had problems due to highly saturated pigments and other flow additives compounded perhaps by poor maintenance. It's not just me, there are tons of threads at Fountain Pen Network describing issues users have. I use inks recommended by pen companies -- Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer, Montblanc, Lamy, Aurora, Pilot, Pelikan, etc. with some exceptions like Herbin (since the 17th century) and Rohrer & Klingner.

Sorry, I've likely opened a can of worms here regarding boutique inks. I was flamed before for this stand by rabid fanboys on another forum and it's a sore subject for me. Pen repair folks I know also often divulge their tragic stories but there is always some user saying they have never had a problem. Good luck, I say.

See Mr. Binder's "Inks: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"

P.S. - Baystate has a reputation for staining.
Call the HazMat team

:)

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
@tankerjohn
My inks arrived today. I'll have them in sample vials and in the mail Monday (fingers crossed, weather permitting)
Here's a teaser of your picks, along with a teensy weensy, baby set of Pilot Iroshizuku Inks I also got today (sorry, not included in this PIF). Unfortunately, the Blue Asa-ago is not in this set. If I like these colors, I'll probably order the 50ml Asa-ago.

0118192348~2.jpg

tankerjohn

@tankerjohn
My inks arrived today. I'll have them in sample vials and in the mail Monday (fingers crossed, weather permitting)
Here's a teaser of your picks, along with a teensy weensy, baby set of Pilot Iroshizuku Inks I also got today (sorry, not included in this PIF). Unfortunately, the Blue Asa-ago is not in this set. If I like these colors, I'll probably order the 50ml Asa-ago.

View attachment 945054
Cool! Gorgeous bottles. There’s a lovely esthetic quality to this hobby.

I absolutely love the Pilot inks. While I am pretty centered on German pens (my second pen was a Vanishing Point that I still adore), my inks are very international.

captp

@tankerjohn
It looks like you might be afraid of the Baystate Blue :a30:
Or are you waiting on a dedicated pen to use it in? Oops, Just read the photo.

tankerjohn

@tankerjohn
It looks like you might be afraid of the Baystate Blue :a30:
Or are you waiting on a dedicated pen to use it in? Oops, Just read the photo.
LOL! No, I’m actually looking forward to giving it a go to see what all the fuss is. But the Kaweco is my only pen I trust not to make an inky, stainy mess with the Notorious BSB.

I love the Pilot inks.
I've pretty much worked my collection down to only Pilot and Montblanc inks.
Of the two, I prefer the Pilot inks.

captp

Marc, I like the Pilot Inks, too. Pilot Blue (light but very nice with the B nib on the 823) came with my Pilot Custom 823 Amber and I already have a mini boxed set of Iroshizuku; love the Yama-budo (they class it as pink, but I see a fairly magenta red), wish it was still available in the full size bottle. Probably ordering a bottle of the Iroshizuku Asa-gao (beautiful blue) soon.

Sailor inks have really grown on me. I hate the bottles, but the performance is great. I have stocked up on Shigure...it is probably my favorite ink.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a TWSBI VAC 700r inked with Baystate Blue and love the color. It is my most used pen/ink combo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

That's a real purty blue you got there, John.
You know it! Thanks for the opportunity to try it.

I’ve been using the Bay State Blue all day and here’s my initial thoughts:

Likes - the color, of course. Wow, it really is a nice blue. Very versatile - could work as a “business” ink or a “fun” ink. Also, it’s permanent, so no check forgeries, etc. In the right pen, this could be a “one and done” ink for all your writing needs.

Dislikes - has anyone mentioned this stuff stains? Yeah, it does. So be careful in the master bathroom and keep a can of Barkeeper’s Friend handy. And try not to scrub the finish off the antiqued sink fittings when you’re cleaning up the Blue (don’t ask). Also, this stuff is WET! It was creeping on my otherwise quite dry Kaweco nib. It would be quite a gusher in a genuinely juicy nib. Which wouldn’t be so bad except...did I mention it stains? And is permanent? You can see why that might be a problem. So I would recommend reserving the BSB for a very dry pen or make piece with looking like an Iraqi voter all day.
1092F35C-E7B3-4BA4-A67A-9E0ED9F31184.jpeg

Freedom baby, yeah! These guys love their Bay State Blue! Or maybe that’s Bay State Purple?

Top Bottom