What's new

Thrift Store Lather Bowl Adaptations

2019_Jan_17_7090_LR.JPG
The only lather bowl I have acquired thus far is the Blue Timeless (pictured in the back... and yes, I like it). I have another item or two on order but reading B&B threads recounting thrift store finds/modifications led me to stop at the thrift store on the way home from work.

The key when you go to a thrift store is to have a plan… and stick with it. I picked out the 6 bowls pictured and the totaled asking price was $9.75. This wasn’t my first rodeo and I was determined to buy the items for 5 dollars! I asked the lady at the checkout what she could do for me in regard to this “bulk purchase”.

She pondered for a bit, looked at all the price stickers, and came back with 4 dollars. I was now in the heat of battle and found my mouth starting to dry up. But I was determined to stay in control and stick to my plan. I countered with… 5 dollars. The move caught her off guard and she was stunned for a minute. I think she realized there was no use in arguing and she acquiesced with, “Five dollars it is.”

Has anyone had any luck with similar bowls? I don’t know if any of these will make a usable bowl. I suspect I will try each one time and then take all of them back to that thrift store. I am confident I can get $1.35 for them.

View attachment 944635

Last edited:
I had good luck with a Café au lait cup originally from Pier 1 Imports. Makes a perfect Mug for the pucks with the rounded bottoms; Like L'Occitane's Cade.

Pier 1 Latte (2).JPG

Not a bowl latherer here, but I am a habitual collector of "things" so I'm always temped to get one even though I know I'll never use it.....Imma strange one.

I particularly like the one at the lower right with the cottage on it. looks like it will keep the lather turned inward as it grows and might keep it from flying out.

"Not a bowl latherer here, but I am a habitual collector of "things" so I'm always temped to get one even though I know I'll never use it.....Imma strange one.

I particularly like the one at the lower right with the cottage on it. looks like it will keep the lather turned inward as it grows and might keep it from flying out."[/QUOTE]

It is a nice and thick one. The back side says "SOUP". Just got to change the U to an A.

I've been successful in finding thrift shop mugs that work well as shaving mugs. The ones I like best are soup mugs that are short and fat.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting haul, there is a couple there that I really like. The one with the cottage and the front white one with the square sticking out the front.

The black and copper one in the back left looks like it might be meant for a small candle?

PS, I would love to have been there when you came back with a dollar more than she gave you an offer for... she must have been so confused

Looks likes a few of them could serve as Soap Mugs as opposed to bowls, the difference being you store and load your soap from the mug and either build a lather in a bowl or on your face. Though, some will tell you they build their lather on top of the soap in a mug.

Looks likes a few of them could serve as Soap Mugs as opposed to bowls, the difference being you store and load your soap from the mug and either build a lather in a bowl or on your face. Though, some will tell you they build their lather on top of the soap in a mug.

I would agree... I am going to have a shootout tonight and put all of them to a test.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
And I would be one of those people. Lathering in a mug worked for my father and my grandfather and it as worked for me for 50+ years.

DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg

When I first started wetshaving, I was using my wife's stoneware cereal bowls to lather. I did put them in the dishwasher after use, but when my wife finally realized, she banned me from using any kitchen items to shave with. I then found a couple of small stoneware bowls at Walmart for $1 each that were smaller and lighter and worked out better. Of course, within a year of finding great lather bowls I switched to face lathering and the bowls went to the "box in the basement".

I am continually amazed that people find shaving gear at thrift stores. I've been in at least a dozen and I've found exactly bubkus.

Top Bottom