What's new

Does any not use any beard care products?

I have gone back and forth between having a beard and not having a beard for many years. The same thing always happens: I grow my beard out until it touches my chest (about 8-10 inches in it's natural curly state, not straightened or pulled down) and always end up shaving it off because I get terrible split ends, ingrown hairs under my beard, very dry beard hairs, and very bad dandruff. I've read that this is common and a combination of occasional trims, washing your beard, regular boar hair brushing, and applying oil will help to stop this. Well any type of oil, balm, butter, etc I've ever tried always makes my skin develop pimples yet never helps the split ends, dry beard, or dandruff. Also, any shampoo or conditioner I've ever tried does the exact same thing: pimples on my skin. Using a boar hair brush to distribute my natural oils as well as occasional trims did help (as much as I hate it because I firmly believe in the "terminal beard" concept) but very minor help and switching to a saw cut kent comb instead of a crappy molded dollar comb helped a bit with breakage but nothing else.

So my questions today are: does anyone else experience this? Does anyone else go "full natural" beard care meaning no shampoos/oils/etc? Is there some magical product that I'm not aware of?

I'd really prefer to not have to use oil or anything but I don't seem to have a choice. I tried proraso balm and it gave me pimples (which it doesn't do when used as an aftershave). I've also been thinking about trying the cremo "scruff cream" but they don't suggest it for longer beards.

I just started growing my beard back at the request of my wife so I have to figure out a solution or else it's the dog house lol.

I would search the terms: [Carrier Oils good for pimples] [Carrier Oils good for beards] [Carrier Oils good for dandruff] [Carrier Oils good for split-ends]

Perhaps for Essential Oils as well if interested in scents, and make your own beard oils. I recently started growing mine out, but have rarely had it very long, and didn't have problems at that time. So I cannot give any first hand advise.

I've had some form of beard for over 20 year (currently at around 8 inches). Until I started hanging around here 3 years ago or so I never used any products, just whatever shampoo was in the shower. I never really had any issues. I usually do use a little oil now, it just seems to lay a little nicer with oil and it smells nice too. I do occasionally skip days and go all natural maybe a few days a month. I don't get many split ends, but if I do I just cut the individual hair just above the split. The longer it gets the more I lose hairs to the comb or in the shower, usually at least 3-5 in the morning sometimes up to 20, almost always pull out at the root. Beard doesn't seem to be any noticeably thinner though, and its nothing compared to the fist fulls of hair my daughter looses to her hair brush.

Is it really that bad that you have to scrap the whole thing? We're always are own worst critics. I would just try to stay on top of the split ends with a pair of scissors when you see them.

I think one problem I may have is that in an attempt to grow as... Quickly? Efficiently? Something like that, I wait too long to get trims and end up going in after 6-8 months and the damage is already done requiring a lot of growth to be cut then I repeat that process. As far as oils good for my specific conditions/situation the one that always comes up it tea tree oil which is something I've had bad luck with in the past. Since I started this thread a few hours ago I have tried a new product: cremo tea tree mint beard oil. It will take me a day or two to see if breakouts start but I can tell you this particular oil feels much nicer on my skin and hair then any other product I have tried. My month of growth soaked it right up, it doesn't feel greasy or heavy, it smells nice, and already helped with the dreaded "short beard itch" so hopefully it doesn't cause breakouts. If all else fails I may just have to go with bi-monthly trims instead if semi-annually and be more vigilant on catching splits early.

When I had a full beard I just used the same shampoo and conditioner that I used on my head.
I would also use a nail brush in the shower to get down to the skin, and it seemed to reduce itch in the early stages.

tea tree oil which is something I've had bad luck with in the past
Missed your reply before now.

Carrier Oils good for hair
Carrier oils good for Acne
  • Tamanu Oil
  • Kukui Nut Oil
  • Pomegranate Oil
  • Evening Primrose Oil
  • Jojoba Oil
  • Black Cumin Seed Oil
  • Hemp Seed Oil
  • Safflower Oil
  • Grapeseed Oil
  • Castor Oil
  • Argan Oil
  • Flaxseed Oil
  • Coconut Oil
  • Pumpkin Seed Oil
  • Mango butter
  • Shea butter
  • Sunflower oil
  • Calendula oil
Essential oils added in small amount to above, for fragrance (but also good for acne)
  • Lavender oil
  • Tea Tree oil
  • Bergamot oil
  • Rosemary oil
  • Cypress oil
  • Lemongrass oil
  • Frankincense oil
  • Oregano oil
  • Chamomile oil
  • Geranium oil
  • Camphor oil

Missed your reply before now.

Carrier Oils good for hair
Carrier oils good for Acne
  • Tamanu Oil
  • Kukui Nut Oil
  • Pomegranate Oil
  • Evening Primrose Oil
  • Jojoba Oil
  • Black Cumin Seed Oil
  • Hemp Seed Oil
  • Safflower Oil
  • Grapeseed Oil
  • Castor Oil
  • Argan Oil
  • Flaxseed Oil
  • Coconut Oil
  • Pumpkin Seed Oil
  • Mango butter
  • Shea butter
  • Sunflower oil
  • Calendula oil
Essential oils added in small amount to above, for fragrance (but also good for acne)
  • Lavender oil
  • Tea Tree oil
  • Bergamot oil
  • Rosemary oil
  • Cypress oil
  • Lemongrass oil
  • Frankincense oil
  • Oregano oil
  • Chamomile oil
  • Geranium oil
  • Camphor oil

Very very helpful, thank you! I since have removed the beard because my wife only wanted it around for Christmas however I have been experimenting with making my own minimal ingredient aftershave and this guide will take out much of the guess work.

Very very helpful, thank you! I since have removed the beard because my wife only wanted it around for Christmas however I have been experimenting with making my own minimal ingredient aftershave and this guide will take out much of the guess work.
The "good for acne" list is more of a not bad for list. Some are better than others, but I don't type so would be too much work. Grapeseed, Jojoba, Argan, and Calendula oil are some that are better for it though. I would look up what each is good for before buying it.

Agree with most of the comments above. I try to stay away from the oils that are Olive or Castor Oil based (most of the inexpensive oils). They seems to make me break out. I've had good luck with Jojoba, Grapeseed, and Argan Oil combinations. I have to stay away from balms completely. I think the Shea Butter makes me break out.

The amount of oil you use is also key. If you use enough that you can see your beard glistening, then you're probably using too much. When using an oil that comes with a restrictor, 4 shakes into the palm is usually enough. When using one that doesn't, the 3 fingertip method works well. Gray (or Grey, don't remember which) Bailey on YouTube has been a pretty good resource for me.

Agree with most of the comments above. I try to stay away from the oils that are Olive or Castor Oil based (most of the inexpensive oils). They seems to make me break out. I've had good luck with Jojoba, Grapeseed, and Argan Oil combinations. I have to stay away from balms completely. I think the Shea Butter makes me break out.

The amount of oil you use is also key. If you use enough that you can see your beard glistening, then you're probably using too much. When using an oil that comes with a restrictor, 4 shakes into the palm is usually enough. When using one that doesn't, the 3 fingertip method works well. Gray (or Grey, don't remember which) Bailey on YouTube has been a pretty good resource for me.
Olive oil was listed as being good for most types of hair, I pulled it because it is bad for acne. Castor oil, both because of it's antiseptic properties, and a higher amount of linoleic compared to oleic acid, normally makes an oil good for Acne, but as always, YMMV.

Shea butter and Coconut Oil cause problems with some people, these are two that are more neutral towards acne, rather than actually good for. I would try to work some coconut into the mixture if you have dry hair, but argan is the oil I consider most needed for hair.

I put a spot on my palm, slightly smaller than a dime; Dip two fingertips into; rub into moustache; repeat dip and rub; rub palms together; rub palms into face and use as a pre-shave.

I'll have to check out those vids. I've self-taught from perusing the internet.

I would search the terms: [Carrier Oils good for pimples] [Carrier Oils good for beards] [Carrier Oils good for dandruff] [Carrier Oils good for split-ends]

Perhaps for Essential Oils as well if interested in scents, and make your own beard oils. I recently started growing mine out, but have rarely had it very long, and didn't have problems at that time. So I cannot give any first hand advise.

I'm in the same boat. Why pay someone 10x as much for packaging and marketing when you can replicate and refine the product yourself with a little research? It ain't rocket science.

I love Bluebeard's Beard Rinse. I'm sure there are other products out there but, I've found what works and will probably stick with it. Bluebeard's has reduced the dandruff and itch to almost non-existent.
I only wash my beard a couple times a week in the winter to reduce drying out and just rinse with water on the off days. YMMV

Dale

Top Bottom