What's new

Urban coyotes

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
How many have came across coyotes in the city? There has been an unusual uptick in coyotes attacking joggers in Frisco lately, but Frisco has exploded in population and construction.

Frisco's recent string of coyote attacks is super weird, by urban wildlife standards | Frisco | Dallas News

Coyotes are everywhere around here, but I live way out in the country. One time there was a pack of five about 10 feet from the front porch. I just waded out toward them yelling and they turned around and kicked in the afterburners. They come up and sniff around the fence line about 30 yards from the house from time to time, apparently looking for mice and such.

The only time I've heard of one being aggressive was when Mom was living out on the farm. She had let her little dog out, then looked out and saw one stalking the dog. She screamed at it and it ran off. She said the 'yote looked like it was starving.

I've even chased them around the parking lot behind K Mart in town at night in the patrol car that was trying to get in the trash can. But then there are a lot of critters around the small town, deer are hit all the time. One of the funniest deer crashes I worked was when a deer ran out from a small patch of woods in town and ran right into the side of a pickup going down the street. It was a fatality accident...the deer broke its neck when it hit the side of the truck. I put in the wreck report that the deer failed to yield right of way. :)

Anyone have the grey dogs lurking around their towns?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not that I know of, but they sure do leave tracks in the snow around the chicken coop at night. Hear em all the time. Got a bobcat roaming around sometimes.

Humans around here would be shocked by what's going on in the woods here at night.

I live in the suburbs, so it isn't exactly urban. Ten minutes one way is country and fifteen the other starts to get into the city. There are coyotes around but they generally don't bother anyone. My son had a run in with them while hunting, so he's not a fan.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Only once in the center of a city of half million people but the Niagara escarpment runs through the city center and that's outside my back door, so all kinds of urban wild-life of the non-people kind.

It ran past us on the other side of the street going in the same direction as us, we were out for an evening walk. It was very focused on getting to where it needed to go.
dave

I often see coyotes when walking early in the morning (3-4 am). Never had one do anything but move away.

(Pictures, or it didn't happen. :p)

upload_2019-1-16_10-46-31.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I loathe these pet-killers. Suburban Gulf Coast here, and their population has taken off.

Had one run right by me one night while working on Christmas decorations ....

Shooting them is not so easy, in my experience. They are the hunters.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I loathe these pet-killers. Suburban Gulf Coast here, and their population has taken off.

Had one run right by me one night while working on Christmas decorations ....

Shooting them is not so easy, in my experience. They are the hunters.

AA

Unless you catch then by surprise. :biggrin1:

Around here they are shot on sight. I've never heard of them attacking a human in this area, but they will kill baby calves and small pets any chance they get. Not to mention what they do to baby deer and wildlife birds, baby chicks, and nests. Most ranchers carry a rifle in their truck for the express purpose of dispatching coyotes and wild hogs.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Around here they are shot on sight. I've never heard of them attacking a human in this area, but they will kill baby calves and small pets any chance they get. Not to mention what they do to baby deer and wildlife birds, baby chicks, and nests. Most ranchers carry a rifle in their truck for the express purpose of dispatching coyotes and wild hogs.
I should add, "they're better hunters than me."

I just hate seeing some child's handmade "missing cat" poster on a local telephone pole.

AA

One night years ago, my father was up at a camp site barbecuing for a church gathering that coming noon (the camp site had a permanent barbecue pit). Some coyotes came to call, and he banged on the lid of the pit and ran them off. A little while later they came back, and that time beating on the lid and yelling didn't run them off. But his shotgun did.

I live in the suburbs, so it isn't exactly urban. Ten minutes one way is country and fifteen the other starts to get into the city. There are coyotes around but they generally don't bother anyone. My son had a run in with them while hunting, so he's not a fan.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Ditto here . . . just outside Toronto. We have coyotes, foxes, possums and other wildlife of that ilk. Every once in a blue moon, a white tail will wander away from the conservation lands to the east and get lost in our urban greenspace.

We're out in the country and we hear them howling at night all the time. I always figured we'd lose some chickens to them, but we never did and never saw any signs of them poking around the coop.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A few weeks ago I was coming home from work around 2 am. As I was driving south bound down a usually pretty busy 4 lane road when it's not 2 o'clock in the morning, I saw this doe standing on the curb of this road looking very panicked and scared. I started to hit my brakes because, I thought it was going to run right out in front of me.

I just happened to look a few yards behind the deer to see what could make it want to risk, running out in front of light traffic? There in the grass, of a small field that sits just off the road, and a small wooded area, just behind the field. There looked to me to be a pack of 8-10 coyotes, maybe more, i'm not sure because it was dark and I was moving about 40 miles an hour and they just caught my eye sitting in the dark shadows and grass.

But I saw enough to realize, they had been chasing that doe, which was willing to cross a 4 lane lighted road with light traffic, trying to get away.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Semi-urban, semi-rural here, surrounded by woods but only a half mile from the center of town. Coyotes, bobcat, foxes are common, as well as possums and racoons. The 'yotes have been only evident in the last couple of years, obvious population explosion and recent incursion to this area. Used to see deer all the time, not so much anymore. I only saw the bobcat recently when I set up a game camera to see what was getting my chickens. I expected to see 'yotes, but saw the cat and some foxes. Foxes have been in the area forever, but only occasionally seen.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Coyotes have made a big comeback. They are in the suburbs and thriving in Mich. Not much to keep them in check.
No, not as many folks hunt deer on and around my property, and that's how they were controlled back in the day. I have a few friends that hunt them with night vision scopes. Thought about that myself, but then I lie down till the thought passes.

They are surely in our suburbs. They take their toll on cats and little dogs. I have helped trap a few around. Hard to do in the suburbs though.

Top Bottom