What's new

Grudge Match: NEW Deluxe versus Raised Flat Bottom

Side bets. Who will win the Grudge Match: RFB vs. NEW Deluxe

• RFB

• New Deluxe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pretty sure this study was biased or flawed in some manner. John did you count correctly? Was this advertised in the proper districts? :)

It was a good time and I actually enjoy the RFB and the Deluxe. That's why I have several of both. And looky here what I bought today. One of the last #77 (black case) sets and NEW razors made. Darn techs took over permenantly right after this set. I still like the Deluxe a wee bit more.

I've tested many cap/baseplate combinations. My favorite combo for well over a year was the RFB baseplate and prewar Tech cap or the US NEW LC baseplate and prewar Tech cap. Both were smooth and efficient with the LC being a little more efficient than the RFB.

These days I use NEW SC that has squared off corner tabs on the cap as shown in the top picture. To me it shaves exactly like the Deluxe. The second SC in the picture came with the same exact cap as my Deluxe. All 3 shaves exactly the same, blades last longer in the SC. Other SCs I have are milder.

I hear you. Thanks for that.
I don't have a way knowing how a normal No.77 top cap should look like but what you say makes sense.
Now to test a little more while I put my hands on a RFB head.

$2016-03-01 20.57.09 copy.jpg

The one on the far right has a pre war tech top cap :thumbup1:
Haven't played around enough with these!

Pretty sure this study was biased or flawed in some manner. John did you count correctly? Was this advertised in the proper districts? :)

It was a good time and I actually enjoy the RFB and the Deluxe. That's why I have several of both. And looky here what I bought today. One of the last #77 (black case) sets and NEW razors made. Darn techs took over permenantly right after this set. I still like the Deluxe a wee bit more.
HA! I knew I was outbid by someone on this thread. Enjoy.

No worries Brent. You know a lot more about the set and am happy it will go to a home where it will be appreciated.
The history behind these cases and sets amazes me, but I didn't know and still don't know enough to appreciate its real value.
Will keep my eyes open.
Now lets talk about that President of yours ... :lol:

Last edited:
I hear you. Thanks for that.
I don't have a way knowing how a normal No.77 top cap should look like but what you say makes sense.
Now to test a little more while I put my hands on a RFB head.

View attachment 641631

The one on the far right has a pre war tech top cap :thumbup1:
Haven't played around enough with these!

I have one with a prewar tech cap, those probably were sold around 1938 when the prewar Tech was made. Early production SCs ended up with the Deluxe, LC, or the original SC cap. The prewar Tech cap is the mildest of them all, then comes the LC cap and then the SC and Deluxe cap are the more aggressive caps.

YMMV

Last edited:
Those on the pic are one with a regular SC cap, one with scared tabs and the one with a tech cap well, it came with a regular one and I just put on a tech cap to try that combination you recommended. We'll see how it goes.

Actually, I've compared the two razors in recent shaves... and I must say again that, even though RFBs are awesome, a NEW DeLuxe is better shaver for me...

One of my favorite threads.

The Deluxe was just a tad too aggressive for me. I did like it more than the various LCs, but the RFB and SC are smoother on my face, while delivering BBS shaves.

I command this old thread to rise from the grave 🧚‍♂️ :out::letterk1:!

Jokes asside, I would like to know what people think of those to razors. I have the RFB and I find it to be slightly better than my NEW LC and I wonder if it's worth the hunt for a NEW Deluxe or maybe a NEW Improved? Someone said that the key is the top cap and changing it makes the difference so I wonder what would happen if I mix some of the top caps. Currently I have only a FB Tech, two NEW LC with slightly different top caps and the RFB. I have a NEW FB and NEW SC on the way, but it would take a while before I get my hands on them.

R

romsitsa

Top caps can make a difference, I can't tell wether it is deliberate or manufacturing tolerances.
The LC and Rfb are the same in my book. Ni and New Deluxes are also the same (big, heavy, effective), Deluxes deliver a more predictable shave, imho.

Top caps can make a difference, I can't tell wether it is deliberate or manufacturing tolerances.
The LC and Rfb are the same in my book. Ni and New Deluxes are also the same (big, heavy, effective), Deluxes deliver a more predictable shave, imho.
Is the top cap of the Deluxe similar or the same with one of the other NEW models? I was thinking about buying the base plate of the iKon B1, which is supposed to be a copy of the Deluxe and use any of my NEW top caps and in theory it should work.

R

romsitsa

Yes and no. De luxe caps are better defined than the usual New caps. Guess these has a shorter run and the tools didn't have time to wear out. While my No 77/88 caps identical to the Big Boy, the later is more crisp, if this makes sense.

This is how the base plate of the iKon B1 Deluxe clone looks like and if it really is a perfect clone, then I guess it would work with either of my RFB and NEW LC caps. It probably won't be perfect, but close enough would do nicely.

fssdgsdgsd.jpg

An RFB #77/88 has been my daily driver for about the last five years. It's a terrific combination of comfort and efficiency. I like Deluxes, too, but I find them slightly less smooth and more likely to bite me.

Top Bottom