What's new

Shame on you

Status
Not open for further replies.
That post is predictable as well. You've shifted from commenting on Gillette and the ad to commenting on the commenters. That's practically politics, and will likely lead to it. Politics is banned in B&B. And Gillette is even now learning that it's better to focus on making a product people actually want to use than trying to sell it based on politics.

I’ll admit it- I’m triggered.

And the big issue is that I thought shaving was my “safe space”. But they’ve done gone and invaded even that.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yet another snowflake thread...

You guys gotta get out more instead of getting your tighty whiteys knotted over a shaving ad.

233k now. Will be well over a million by end of day because it's gone viral and there are now campaigns encouraging fellow easy triggered snowflakes to dislike it.

Yes its a shaving ad. It's Gillette.

These threads always go the same way. The courageous and manly anti-PC, anti-SJW crowd get into high dudgeon. Then they claim they are not triggered at all, just bemused. Then we get the sarcastic quotes aimed at a 10 year old maturity level. Then we finally get someone to go full Neanderthal. At this point, the floodgates open because someone breached protocol and thus gave permission for the grievances against This Modern Unmanly World or the mods shut it down.
We breached a couple posts above.

:angel:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
233k now. Will be well over a million by end of day because it's gone viral and there are now campaigns encouraging fellow easy triggered snowflakes to dislike it.

Yes its a shaving ad. It's Gillette.

These threads always go the same way. The courageous and manly anti-PC, anti-SJW crowd get into high dudgeon. Then they claim they are not triggered at all, just bemused. Then we get the sarcastic quotes aimed at a 10 year old maturity level. Then we finally get someone to go full Neanderthal. At this point, the floodgates open because someone breached protocol and thus gave permission for the grievances against This Modern Unmanly World or the mods shut it down.
We breached a couple posts above.

Well, for what it's worth, I think the advert was unnecessary and misjudged, and does the brand more harm than good. However, my opinion on that advert does not reflect my thoughts on anyone else other than the clowns at Gillette/P&G that thought this purile drivel was a good idea. Just because I come from an older generation, doesn't mean that I automatically need "reeducating" about what is right and wrong, especially not by a corporate giant with a history of ethical controversy.

A Gillette story:

Back in the mid 90's I used to be a guide for a bike tour company on Martha's Vineyard. We'd stay in nice inns, and eat at fantastic restaurants. Anyhow, the first night of the tour, we're at the inn, and we're trying to round up everyone for dinner, but one couple isn't coming along. We knocked, and we knocked. They were trying to give us the brush-off for some reason. Eventually they did come out and joined us for dinner. It turned out to be the CEO of Gillette at the time and his wife. They had won the trip at a charity auction, and didn't really want to be saddled with being beholden to a group(there were probably 12 of us in all). We all went out to dinner they turned out to be great fun. We all had plenty of wine at dinner, the CEO was big into sailing and had crewed on the Polish Tall Ship, and regaled us with tales of the high seas. We all got good and loaded and then we all went out dancing. Good times.

Seems like it is more aimed toward fathers who have sons, and the need to start raising them to act like decent human beings

LOL. yeah! Nobody tells me to be a decent man!

Certain traits need to be instilled at a young age. Once they are, they remain for life.

Simple respect isnt easily found these days. It wasnt that long ago that if someone needed to be taught respect, it was seldom an easy lesson learned.

Theres much to be said for life experience, and it doesnt come from a cell phone or the internet.

I am a man. I act like a man. I protect my family, I love my God, and I provide for my family. I am not toxic, but will never apologize for being a man.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I am frankly surprised to see so much antipathy to this ad, because I see it as harkening back to a time where "masculinity" was more in line with what I would think many here would think it should be . . . support for friends and family, helping those in need, protecting those who need it, etc.

The only thing I have an issue with is Gillette putting this out while still engaging in the "pink tax" nonsense. I mean, if you are going to put out a promo advocating that men "do better", shouldn't you lead by example?

And the big issue is that I thought shaving was my “safe space”. But they’ve done gone and invaded even that.

Today, apparently, everything is political, even things you never suspected: sports, the arts, clothing . . . and now shaving.

Collective guilt is a nefarious concept. And tiresome. Seems pretty popular these days, though.

I am, as ever, grateful for B&B's politics-free environment.

In other Gillette news:

My brother in law (not my brother in law at the time) was in a 1990 Gillette Super Bowl ad. He's the guy who won the bike race and is hoisting the trophy at 0:41.

Of course, now we know better, and Gillette wants everybody to get trophies, not just the winners.

Just because I come from an older generation, doesn't mean that I automatically need "reeducating"

The “kids” to whom this nonsense was targeted listen to hip hop, not rock, by folks who listen and likely promote that genre. Ever actually listen to some of those lyrics? Talk about toxic. Not a whole lot of consistency in the messaging. And the smart kids see right through it.

For some reason I liked that ad. People, especially the older ones, keep forgetting that times have changed.
Things are getting tough for many people day by day. We should not embrace that kind of behavior. We've all seen where it leads. To people that don't show any respect.
Take the blinders off and realise the true message of this intelligent I dare to say ad.

C27EAC4F-E34A-44C8-979F-2874C09EEDFF.png
Some problems I see with that ad:

The bullying is a result of social media, not male behavior.

The bullying continues because we no longer encourage people to stand up to bullies themselves.

And remember:

Starting a conversation with a pretty girl at a pool party is not cool.

And don’t dare be attracted to a woman on the street. Ask her out to dinner perhaps? No way! You may fall in love, get married, have a family and go to church on Sundays.

what specifically didnt you like about this? too commercial for the cause they are discussing?
I don't like the fact that it assumes too much about me and the men I know. We aren't a bunch of sexist, rapists who exist to grill meat. I am raising my son and guiding other young men I know to treat all people properly.

Okay, so is no one addressing the SJW virtue signalling ad? Or maybe discussing things as such are taboo and against the rules here on B&B?

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom