What's new

Tabac is the best kept secret in shaving

It’s one thing to enjoy Tabac while shaving, but I’ve not been bold enough to venture out the front door with AS or stronger. Maybe someday I’ll break down and buy it just to give it a try.

Well, I have to take you seriously - these are my own words!

To me, though, Tabac is like the lovable villain in soaps. The rogue that gets the most column inches while the more interesting characters are passed over despite their worth.
The Hans Gruber of shaving soaps! (Well, no, he wasn't lovable unless your taste runs to vultures and birds of prey. But he was certainly fascinating.)

Someone in another thread, and possibly in this one, said that Tabac's scent reminded him of Grandma's purse . . . and I hate to say it, but he's right. I like the scent, especially since my stick has aired out some, it and it works great. But it does remind me of a whiff of my mom's purse when she'd click it open to dig out some change at Woolworth's. (Though part of that might have been the scent of Woolworth's.)

I just wanna know who went around sniffing their grandma’s purse so much it left an indelible scent memory imprinted in their brain? As a kid I had much better things to do just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanna know who went around sniffing their grandma’s purse so much it left an indelible scent memory imprinted in their brain? As a kid I had much better things to do just sayin.

+1
I keep wondering the same thing. I guess every kid needed a hobby, even an odd one like sniffing seniors purses.
:biggrin::biggrin1:

I went all in for Tabac - purchased the soap puck, soap stick, AS Balm and AS Lotion. The more I use it, the more I like it.

'Nuff said.

Even one sniff would have been enough to imprint the scent in your brain for good.

Tabac is a classic because it's a very, very good formulation that produces excellent lather and shaves. Formulating shaving soap is hardly a secret, as the requirements for excellent shaving soap have been published since the 1920's when measuring fatty acids became possible. No secrets there at all, just megacorporations cheapening the formulas and modern fads like vegan soap.

The major variations in modern shaving soap are the oils/fats used to make the soap, and non-saponified additives to modify post shave feel, etc. Scent is as it has always been, very highly variable and what smells nice to one person can literally gag another. Modern "artisan" soaps to my nose are often grossly over-scented, to the point where users complain of skin irritation. This follows the trend of higher and higher scent loading in all personal care products, something I cannot stand. I don't know if modern living kills olfactory nerves or people are following the trend and burning theirs out, but I don't want to stink of anything.

So I stick with the old standards or make my own where I can control the scent level to what a prefer (mostly not perceptible after use). I evaluate shaving soap on how it shaves, scent is a completely different issue, and for me, the less the better!
Hear! Hear!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Hold on, hold on.

Did you say thirty pucks of Tabac?
30?

Today I counted 34 new unopened pucks and 2 shaving sticks of Tabac!!
FD590427-68AC-483E-BC69-32651034E1DD.jpeg

When I was a kid I would try to kill the smell of a sneaked cigarette in my room with Lysol. Had I used baby powder instead,that would have been Tabac. Sweet memories.

Top Bottom