What's new

Merlthod Edge Vs. Jnat Edge

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It's quite humorous to me when I read of someone honing a blade on a high-dollar JNat and then finishing on a Crox strop! Is it a JNat edge or is it s Crox edge?

Sharp is Sharp. There are innumerable paths and that's part of the fun!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It's quite humorous to me when I read of someone honing a blade on a high-dollar JNat and then finishing on a Crox strop! Is it a JNat edge or is it s Crox edge?

Good point. We’re all using leather edges!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Conclusion: The first shave with the jnat edge was equal in noticeable comfort and in cutting my particular beard. I continued to shave daily stropping only with leather between shaves (50 laps). After seven consecutive shaves I’ve begun to notice the deterioration of the edge and consequently the level of comfort. I’ve used the Method since I began straight razors and have done 50 laps on .1u pasted balsa then 50 on leather between shaves and ever shave was a brand new edge - no deterioration. For me, The Method wins hands down. Regardless of the initial method of honing the edge will deteriorate without intervention in addition to leather. Pasted balsa provides adequate intervention and prevents daily dulling. If you maintain with pasted balsa you will be shaving with a Method edge regardless of the of the honing method you used to get there. I’m not trying to convince or convert anyone; I’m simply relating my personal experience and reasoned preference. Thanks @Slash McCoy

I have experimented around with stropping on linen embedded with dried G20 slurry. I have found on an edge not taken to max on a super hard stone that I could gain in sharpness while maintaining much of the jnats fingerprint and smoothness. Too many laps however, will completely wipe out the jnats signature. That said, I still prefer an edge maxed on a very hard jnat.

I agree with SteveClarkus about how nice it is to have a razor that is always good, always same same.

I use The Method on some razors. But on my Bismarck, I let it go seven days then on Saturday morning give it ten light laps on a nani12. That gets it back in shape just before it's about to go south.

Conclusion: The first shave with the jnat edge was equal in noticeable comfort and in cutting my particular beard. I continued to shave daily stropping only with leather between shaves (50 laps). After seven consecutive shaves I’ve begun to notice the deterioration of the edge and consequently the level of comfort. I’ve used the Method since I began straight razors and have done 50 laps on .1u pasted balsa then 50 on leather between shaves and ever shave was a brand new edge - no deterioration. For me, The Method wins hands down. Regardless of the initial method of honing the edge will deteriorate without intervention in addition to leather. Pasted balsa provides adequate intervention and prevents daily dulling. If you maintain with pasted balsa you will be shaving with a Method edge regardless of the of the honing method you used to get there. I’m not trying to convince or convert anyone; I’m simply relating my personal experience and reasoned preference. Thanks @Slash McCoy
A good Jnat edge will definitely beat a pasted edge in comfort, I’ve experimented plenty with both and no synthetic edge will ever feel like a natural stone, ever. Again, this is my personal experience and opinion.
If you’re making a comparison that a pasted edge is better solely because if you maintain it daily it will never deteriorate your not making an accurate comparison. You can’t use one with pastes daily and say the other, that you have never touched up, is not a good edge. Either touch them both up daily or don’t and see what happens.
Also if you just started using a Jnat, there is no way you have come close to learning your stone and what it is capable of, especially being new to honing. No offence, but you have a lot of learning to do before you should be comparing your first Jnat edge to a pasted edge.

If an edge has been honed/finished on diamond paste and you take that edge back to a finishing stone like a Thuringian or Coticule, will some residual benefit from the paste exist? Is it true that regardless of the sequence, whatever is used last that's the type of edge you are using to shave?

Depends how much work you do. A few strokes and an edge can show some characteristics from both methods. Too many and the new will wipe out the old.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A good Jnat edge will definitely beat a pasted edge in comfort, I’ve experimented plenty with both and no synthetic edge will ever feel like a natural stone, ever. Again, this is my personal experience and opinion.
If you’re making a comparison that a pasted edge is better solely because if you maintain it daily it will never deteriorate your not making an accurate comparison. You can’t use one with pastes daily and say the other, that you have never touched up, is not a good edge. Either touch them both up daily or don’t and see what happens.
Also if you just started using a Jnat, there is no way you have come close to learning your stone and what it is capable of, especially being new to honing. No offence, but you have a lot of learning to do before you should be comparing your first Jnat edge to a pasted edge.
The jnat edge
Was done by an experienced honemeister. My pasted edges were equal in every way.

Keen is keen. Sharp is sharp. I have never noticed the odd striation or the pattern of striation to affect my shave. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Keen is keen. Sharp is sharp. I have never noticed the odd striation or the pattern of striation to affect my shave. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn’t agree more. It takes a lot of practice to where you can get a diamond pasted edge to equal the comfort level of a jnat but believe me, it can be done and with much less effort.

Top Bottom