What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
I couldn't wait for morning so did one pass on neck and cheeks. All I can say is holy crap, beast is right:) . More tomorrow.

So without counting plating ie chrome vs gold or different handles, dose anyone know how many different gem models there are.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

GAW9576
So without counting plating ie chrome vs gold or different handles, dose anyone know how many different gem models there are.

Good Question, here is the best list I can find and you will enjoy that book. It takes a few seconds to load but well worth the read!
A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book

Last edited:

Ron R

I picked up the travel Gem 1912 after reading it was a more aggressive shave than the standard version. It's not readily apparent why that would be but I'll give it a go.
proxy.php
proxy.php
Travel model? Interesting thought!:detective:

I have one and it's quite the little beast!

GEM 1912...Really?

imag0384_1-jpg.809030
Not sure why A.S.R GEM would make such a aggressive efficient razor for traveling, some of the places travelers visited would have some dirty water conditions and a nick or cut would not be welcomed? Not sure why a milder variant version would not of been warranted for travel IMO, wonder what the promotion or management department were thinking for that time era!

Last edited:
It's nuts really. It's really a beast, we are not talking about a MMOC to Clog-Pruf difference, we're talking several orders of magnitude. I have no idea why, or for that matter how long it might have been in production. It's a mind blower. Anybody used to the Damaskeene picking one of these would definitely have a *** moment.

Last edited:
It's nuts really. It's really a beast, we are not talking about a MMOC to Clog-Pruf difference, we're talking several orders of magnitude. I have no idea why, or for that matter how long it might have been in production. It's a mind blower. Anybody used to the Damaskeene picking one of these would definitely have a *** moment.
I love the shaves that I get from that great little razor!
:001_tt1:

Travel model? Interesting thought!:detective:

Not sure why A.S.R GEM would make such a aggressive efficient razor for traveling, some of the places travelers visited would have some dirty water conditions and a nick or cut would not be welcomed? Not sure why a milder variant version would not of been warranted for travel IMO, wonder what the promotion or management department were thinking for that time era!

I have two other "travel" razors that's not a beast, the blade exposure is not quite the same, cap is slightly different... I'll have to look at them again when I get home from work, but the little beast is no accident!

I have two other "travel" razors that's not a beast, the blade exposure is not quite the same, cap is slightly different... I'll have to look at them again when I get home from work, but the little beast is no accident!
Clearly. I actually have another on the way, in much better condition, which popped up right after I got the first.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Ron R

My best guess for that model's you fellows have is the 1912 GEM Minute man version.
Gem 'Minute Man' Model Shaving kit.jpg

Gem 'Minute Man' Model Shaving Set changed.jpg

This fellow had them up for sale not to long ago!

Ron R

Slightly different version.
proxy.php
@jmudrick you Cease to amaze me:lol1:, the one on the left is a Ever Ready razor travel version I believe, ASR was a huge company when they almagamated and they were into different versions of razors like so many of todays modern razor Manufactures...

Last edited:
GEM Micromatic open comb :ouch1:(MMOC);)

Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58mm)

Weight : 2.2 oz (65 grams)

Blade :
Gem Personna Stainless Steel PTFE(Teflon coated)

Blade exposure : Positive

Handling :
MMOC handles very well with it’s taper column straight knurled design for easy gripping, J hooking & buffing was no problem and GEM slide maneuver was no problem. Tough under the chin whiskers stand no chance with the GEM MMOC or GEM 1912.....

I used the MMOC as a daily driver for 10 straight days and never had any issues and gave consistently close comfort shaves(CCS>BBS). My medium beard type & I have not much for sensitive skin & this razor was a great pleasure to shave the beard off with minimal irritation.

Micromatic was built for rigidity and makes the Gem blade seat almost solid to the base plate for the first 3/8 of a inch from the front of the comb of this razor & combined with it’s advanced clamping forward movement cap pressure design maximizes it’s blade rigidity design. The SHEAR pleasure of the Blade is noticeable around the 2 or 3 shave like so many other blades and blade life is very good(7>.....shaves) IMO.

A.S.R MFG was One of the first twist to open(TTO) or first and was revolutionary & years ahead of Gillette in the TTO models. Gem MMOC was introduced to the public in late 1931 and Gillette TTO was introduced in 1934 from my limited research. Definitely a leader of it’s day and still available used or new old stock(NOS) because they manufactured millions.

This is one of the most high efficient razors with good technique for a medium aggressiveness and was a great purchase for a SE shaving system that will last generations with a little care and maintenance IMO!
View attachment 938750
View attachment 938751 View attachment 938752

Riding the cap is the most important thing with these razors. I cringe when I see YouTubers not doing it that way. If used correctly the are extremely mild and forgiving and deliver nice smooth shaves. It always confounds me when shavers describe any of these razors esp post Clog-Pruf as aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

Riding the cap is the most important thing with these razors. I cringe when I see YouTubers not doing it that way. If used correctly the are extremely mild and forgiving and deliver nice smooth shaves. It always confounds me when shavers describe any of these razors esp post Clog-Pruf as aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said, it seems like my testing and shaving enjoyment does confirm your conclusions. It seems that Gillette stayed that course also of milder than earlier more aggressive razor models like the NEW long & short comb....... until the Fatboy's and Slim adjustables were introduced because that was good for the blade sales no doubt(the objective). Both ASR & Gillette were more interested in blade sales than razors but both company's knew they still had to have a well made razor to match a well made blade so we all benefited IMO.

Last edited:

Ron R

GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf twist to open(Peerless model) or MMCP GEM Clog Pruf #2 (2).jpg

Weight:
2.23 oz (64 grams)

Blade exposure: Positive

Blade gap: .022 thousands of a inch (.56 mm)

Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE coating(Teflon) (7th use)

Razor Material: Brass with a weak gold coating.

Handling: Great Micromatic handle with the straight tapering knurl is easy to grip.

With 17 nibs on the safety bar the feel is pleasant to the face.

Shaving was easy and as always I tested J hooking and buffing and also the GEM slide maneuver and no problems- some razors are not friendly to these maneuvers .(as the blade gets on in its life cycle it becomes easier to do different maneuvers IMO.)

The Micromatic Clog Pruf can be used for daily shaving with just a 2 pass WTG + ATG with a clean up pass because it is a mid aggressive with high efficiency and the shaves I received were CCS,DFS,BBs range and mostly irritation & weeper free shaves as always.

High efficient razors I only need to two passes with a clean up pass to avoid over shaving and creating other known skin irritations.

I find the shave aggressiveness very similar to the Micromatic open comb slightly milder but smoother to face feel because of the hybrid 17 nib safety bar.

If you can not receive a good shave from the MMCP I would suspect your technique needs some improving and for sure use a new blade. (Also check for mechanical problems like bent safety bar or missing blade keepers because most likely its a used razor.)

The Micromatic Clog Pruf was MFG in 1941-43(12 nib safety bar version) and production was stopped because WW2 effort and resumed after the war ended, the MMCP “Peerless model 17 nib safety bar” was introduced in late 1946 to 1947.clog pruf 1941 to 1946 3.jpg Thanks @jmudrick for the excellent photo.

The 3 variants of Micromatics(MMOC,MMCP,MMFW) are the cream of the crop for rigidity and for the different GEM razor models and will shave any beard type with ease and enjoyment with a nice feeling afterwards.(silky smooth IMO)

Finding blades on line can be bought easily and local pharmacy's in USA still carry them and at reasonable prices & when buying 100 pcs will give any DE blades a run for the moneys worth for one sharp long lasting blade.
Some one mentioned that GEM's are the "BEST KEEP SECRET" in shaving, I would have to agree to that statement hands down!:ouch1:
GEM REVIEW 6.1 Clog Pruf Jan 16-2019 (2).jpg

For folks who have no Manual on their GEM razors and were the GEM Personna SS PTFE blade rates for a reference IMO.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
Have some great GEM shaves!

Last edited:
As always a Great post @Ron R. I have 2 of the three micromatics but since I've just entered the world of SE I am shaving with the same one, the MMOC for a while, to keep the variables to a minimum untill I can get consistently good shaves. My other micromatic is a clog proof. And I am sure I will be looking for a bullet tip in the near future. This thread has been very interesting to read and extremely informative.

Ron R

As always a Great post @Ron R. I have 2 of the three micromatics but since I've just entered the world of SE I am shaving with the same one, the MMOC for a while, to keep the variables to a minimum untill I can get consistently good shaves. My other micromatic is a clog proof. And I am sure I will be looking for a bullet tip in the near future. This thread has been very interesting to read and extremely informative.
Thanks for the support, there is a lot of information out there and of course a lot of seasoned GEM owners who can help us if issues come about or just want more information on a certain model, Just ask.

Sure thing.
I think it will be cool to get the bullet tip and have all three. I definitely want a glod one and preferably one with most of the gold missing but no pitting in the brass. That is the condition of my clog proof. I will eventually find an MMOC in simular condition to replace my chrome MMOC.
I just really want all three and love the brass with a slight patina. But I've never been a fan of gold myself.

Top Bottom