What's new

Advice on first pair of Red Wing boots

Hello all, as the title states looking for advice on the purchase of my first pair of Red Wings. I have looked on the Red Wing page, read many reviews and watch several hours of YouTube videos. Basic information about what is needed for the boot. Must be Black, 4E Wide and fit in office setting. I will be walking about 5 miles per day in them as well.

Hello all, as the title states looking for advice on the purchase of my first pair of Red Wings. I have looked on the Red Wing page, read many reviews and watch several hours of YouTube videos. Basic information about what is needed for the boot. Must be Black, 4E Wide and fit in office setting. I will be walking about 5 miles per day in them as well.

I bought these 5-6 months ago and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. Dress or safety. They also come in black.

6708 Men's ComfortPro Oxford

Thank you, I looked at those also. Just not what I'm looking for. Need the ankle support of a boot. Switching from a Dunham Addison to Red Wing. Finding the Dunhams hard to find in my size. Last time had to wait 2 months.

Iron Ranger is my favorite piece of footwear I’ve ever owned. Years old and still look almost new.

I recommend the cushioned insole.

I would check out the Beckmans. They took me about 100 mi to fully breakin but are now exceptionally comfortable and look goodnight many settings.

5 miles a day?!

IMO this pretty eliminates Red Wing Heritage boots. I love my Iron Rangers, but just thinking about walking 5 miles a day in them is killing my back, knees, ankles, feet.

For that kind of mileage you really need a modern, orthopedic footbed or a custom made boot.

Are tactical boots too casual for your office environment?

I'd bet the softer soled boots like the Mocs or Work Chukkas would fare much better than Iron Rangers walking 5 miles a day.

The Red Wing cushioned insole was a game changer for me.

Would recommend to anyone who owns a pair of Iron Rangers, not just the OP. Cheap too.

I have the Red Wings 3504 and love them but they only come in brown.

Have you looked at Blundstones? They have an “office look” and can come with a steel toe if needed. I am not sure about the width options though.

I would call them and discuss what you are looking for. They have been very knowledgeable and helpful whenever I call them.

875’s
E6A3BA36-ACF3-4D22-A1AF-C91F5B09A309.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I’m partial to the 606s. Nice non-slip sole. I am on concrete floors most of the time. Best boot I’ve ever bought. Do you have a local RW store?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The My Iron Rangers are going on their 8th year and still holding strong. I never used insoles, and have no complains about the comfort. Just don't think about wearing them out in snow or ice. I've nearly killed myself multiply times in inclement weather.

It's best to call them for options, they do have plenty and I think they may have added more with their new catalogue.

I have a 3 IR's, a Beckman, Blacksmith, and Merchant. I love Red Wings but I don't think any of these can work for a formal office setting as they tend to have a bulbous toe. They are more on the casual and smart casual side if paired with dark washed jeans or maybe chino's. If I'm in the mood for darker boots, I can go with my ebony harness merchants which has a slimmer toe box.

The newer IR's have a lugged sole which comes in handy. I didn't find the break in to be too difficult but then again it really depends. I've read many reviews that that the break-in process was a pain. I suppose I've been lucky in that regard. I went half a size down from my brannock size and they fit me well.

I hope you'll be happy with whatever you'll get and enjoy them in good health.

After wearing usa redwings for many years I can’t really endorse anything outside of quality. Back in the day I wore straight up work boots while working for a tree service, in fact I still have the last pair I bought that are at least 20 yrs old. I bought a pair of blacksmiths online, went down from my Allen Edmonds size, but went up from the USA work boots I still have...big mistake. I wear 11.5d in Edmonds and wore a 10.5 d in redwings 20 yrs ago which were now a little to snug. So I got an 11d. They’re friggin huge! Huge and as heavy as boat anchors. They look nice and an insole snugged them up but not exactly office setting material. I have no redwing store around and these were a last pair sale on REI or I’d have sent them back. At 50% off I deal with them. FWIW my sutter mills from AE are half the weight and made just as well. The only thing I can think of that would have made the red wings suitable is to have purchased may a 10.5 A which may have been better.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I bought a pair years ago. They were on sale. They didn’t fit well. I gave them to John H.

Id recommend going to your local Red Wing store and discussing your needs with them. I buy almost all of my shoes at the Red Wing store and theyre always great. I wear the Worx shoes at work (I work in an auto manufacturing environment where we cant wear shoes with metal eyelets and I like the ligher weight of the shoes) and I wear the Supersoles at home (I just like the classic look and find that work boots go better with flannel shirts and jeans than tennis shoes do).
I feel like the Supersoles could work in an office setting. Most of my friends work in an office setting and always comment about how nice my Red Wings look.

Top Bottom