What's new

Notes From The Edge

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The trouble with "riding" anything, is that it's too easy to go too far, and for the blade to lift off a smidgeon, and start cutting high and tugging at the root. That's why I try (even if I don't 100% succeed) to linger in the zone between the cap and comb.

The trouble with "riding" anything, is that it's too easy to go too far, and for the blade to lift off a smidgeon, and start cutting high and tugging at the root. That's why I try (even if I don't 100% succeed) to linger in the zone between the cap and comb.
I'm coming round to your way of thinking.

Work is crazy so haven't had time to post properly. Big news: I sharpened a stainless steel razor on a coticule. I haven't dared before- only carbon.

2 stones:

1. a supposed La Petite Blanche. I dulled the edge, reset the bevel with a thick slurry. Diluted down and down to water. Fairly straight forward but the heal was a bit iffy. Gave it some love and attention and then the other side of the bevel - which had been fine - got a bit irritable and I found I had to do some work there.

Then I stropped: 30 on canvas / 50 on leather and moved back to the second stone:

2. a supposed La Grise. The slurry is thinner on this anyway and I added soap to the water. It went right down to stuckness. Then I channeled Murray Carter and reversed my stokes - spine leading.

The edge felt smooth and done. From experience I know you should keep going at that point but I was getting bored and didn't have enough time.

Shaved straight from the stone - no additional stropping.

I got a good 2 pass shave. Not as good as a Charnley or a WoA but still very good.

I'm pleased with that. I think I could have taken the edge further, and probably it would have been nicer if had stropped afterwards but I wanted to see what it would be like straight off the stone.

My aim is to be able to completely maintain a stainless razor with one stone - including a bevel set in case of emergencies. This would be a great set up for when I'm travelling.
proxy.php

It's been a coticule week: One new acquisition and a whole lot of honing. I am still getting the best results finishing on my La Grise but I have also been experimenting with a single stone but progression. They come out sharp. Just not as nice.

The new coticule had gouges in it on both the coticule and BBW side.

proxy.php

It was no bother lapping other side and they both make nice hones. The coticule is hard, but kind of grippy so it seems to be quite a fast finisher.

Mid week I went safety. I used the IKON SBS for the first pass and my piccolo for passes two and three.

proxy.php

It was a great shave, but I think that was 80% the Piccolo. The SBS shaves ok. But doesn't blow me away. Kind of a stunt razor with the Big Beastie handle on it.

The rest of the week I shaved with a TI, vintage Solingen and a Dovo Masters. The TI want such a great edge but not the others worked well

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Try your Piccolo with your best blade directly ATG first pass. Get the angle just right, watch the length of your stroke and you may surprise yourself.

Try your Piccolo with your best blade directly ATG first pass. Get the angle just right, watch the length of your stroke and you may surprise yourself.
Are you proposing a one pass shave?

What do you classify as a best blade - something smooth like a Personna or something efficient like a Feather?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Are you proposing a one pass shave?

What do you classify as a best blade - something smooth like a Personna or something efficient like a Feather?

Single pass buffing yeah. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it with a Fatip. You're being a straight shaver you'll understand and find the angle quickly I would imagine. Then its all about the length of stroke before the razor loads up too much.

The best blade for you. The right combination of smooth and sharp. For me, with a shave ATG first pass like that I have two blades out of the ~30 I've tried, Polsilver and Gillette Yellow. Feather blades, oddly, dont work that well for me single pass.

Single pass buffing yeah. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it with a Fatip. You're being a straight shaver you'll understand and find the angle quickly I would imagine. Then its all about the length of stroke before the razor loads up too much.

The best blade for you. The right combination of smooth and sharp. For me, with a shave ATG first pass like that I have two blades out of the ~30 I've tried, Polsilver and Gillette Yellow. Feather blades, oddly, dont work that well for me single pass.
Sounds fun. I must try it. Was going to straight shave though ... Decisions decisions

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sounds fun. I must try it. Was going to straight shave though ... Decisions decisions

Let it grow :)

I cant remember when I last shaved but I think it was Monday night. I'll be shaving tonight. I'll load a fresh Polsilver and shave directly ATG first pass buffing. Or maybe I'll use my MMOC with a blade that has 3 shaves on it. Decisions decisions...haha.

@rabidus has shaved first pass ATG like that at 96 hours growth, or maybe longer with his ATT SE1 without issue and I believe thats the only way he shaves now. The more rigid the razor and blade, the easier that shave is.

The trick is knowing your beard map and being able to shave directly ATG through the entire pass. That shave takes me around 3 minutes from loading my brush to toweling off.

I’ve shaved with a straight daily going on 45 years I have a brief mantra. I have had periods of DE use when I had small kids with inquisitive minds and reaching hands around but have always yearned and returned to a straight.

Stropping is key. Get on point with it and your edges will always be better, smoother and keener no matter what you finish on.

Focus on maintaining an edge and doing the minimum to keep it that way. The more metal you take off the further you deviate from what the grinder worked so hard to produce. Minimalism can reap more benefits when it comes to results than becoming a honemiester.

Moisturize after every shave it preps and protects your face for daily shaving better than anything else.

It’s not an art, a method, a science....it’s just shaving. As always YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dundak - I agree with everything you say and especially this:

Stropping is key. Get on point with it and your edges will always be better, smoother and keener no matter what you finish on.

Too much emphasis put on honing on the forums. Just recently I like playing around with stones. It's kind of a parallel interest. But I agree with you totally - stropping is the key for straight shaving. 100%

but my Fatip OC has been happy with ANY blade I've put in it so far.:

The key to Old Type open combs is the minimal blade gap and rigidity. This what makes them so smooth and efficient with any blade. The open comb is there to give some place for all the detritus to go because of the minimal gap. Not to allow more lather to stay on your face as some say. If you see lather lines using one of these then you are doing it all wrong.

The key to Old Type open combs is the minimal blade gap and rigidity. This what makes them so smooth and efficient with any blade. The open comb is there to give some place for all the detritus to go because of the minimal gap. Not to allow more lather to stay on your face as some say. If you see lather lines using one of these then you are doing it all wrong.

Fascinating - and makes me want to go back and rethink other modern comb razors with more blade gap and less blade rigidity.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

A precise summation and a pleasure to read!

I only see lather lines on my backstroke when buffing, and thats intentional.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Was going to straight shave though ... Decisions decisions

The MMOC won.

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

Blade buffing?

Mantic59 also has a YouTube video with the title "Shaving Q&A #5: Advanced Shaving w/Slant Razor"
Thanks - fascinating. The thread describes blade buffing whilst what appears to be cap or guard riding. I can also imagine it would work well similar to the video example using @AimlessWanderer hover mindset.

@Esox : just to clarify:

You propose a one pass ATG with the Piccolo using blade buffing?

Or

A one pass ATG *followed by* blade buffing?

(I just hope this isn't some BOSC initiation prank that you guys are pulling on me ...)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks - fascinating. The thread describes blade buffing whilst what appears to be cap or guard riding. I can also imagine it would work well similar to the video example using @AimlessWanderer hover mindset.

@Esox : just to clarify:

You propose a one pass ATG with the Piccolo using blade buffing?

Or

A one pass ATG *followed by* blade buffing?

(I just hope this isn't some BOSC initiation prank that you guys are pulling on me ...)

I half joking (and only half) refer to it as scrubbing ;)

I do use short stroking techniques with my lighter touch approach, particularly if using a blade that starts out very keen, and could be harsh with full length strokes, but I use less overlapping, less rapid movement, and no pressure.

I did see the Mantic video, and it made me cringe. There is no way I would be doing that with a razor on my face. Some people do it and get good results. Some people use pressure too, lots of it. I did lots of (what I now consider) stupid things when I first started learning DE on my own, with no guidance from other traditional shavers, and before internet video sites, but once I figured out the pressureless shave, scrubbing actions or use of pressure just seem wrong.

Don't take my word for it though. Draw your own conclusions ;) like I said above, some people claim to get great results from it, and better shaves than they get with other methods.

When you get back from A&E, let us know how you got on :lol:

I half joking (and only half) refer to it as scrubbing ;)

I do use short stroking techniques with my lighter touch approach, particularly if using a blade that starts out very keen, and could be harsh with full length strokes, but I use less overlapping, less rapid movement, and no pressure.

I did see the Mantic video, and it made me cringe. There is no way I would be doing that with a razor on my face. Some people do it and get good results. Some people use pressure too, lots of it. I did lots of (what I now consider) stupid things when I first started learning DE on my own, with no guidance from other traditional shavers, and before internet video sites, but once I figured out the pressureless shave, scrubbing actions or use of pressure just seem wrong.

Don't take my word for it though. Draw your own conclusions ;) like I said above, some people claim to get great results from it, and better shaves than they get with other methods.

When you get back from A&E, let us know how you got on [emoji38]
I have to try it now...

But I might start with the Mamba as it clamps the blade rigidly like the Piccolo, and has minimal blade gap, but also has less blade exposure.

Top Bottom