What's new

Favorite vehicle(s) you've ever owned? And why.

1980-ish John Deere Trailfire 440 snowmobile, much like this one:
proxy.php

It was not a toy, but the main family vehicle, when we lived here for a couple of years.
The first thing we did there was to mod the skis by welding on a two inch wide steel strap and some rebar after that.
We drove them about 8 months out of 12. The most fun was removing the hood in the Spring, and hearing the roar of the engine.

No, I changed my mind.
The best was at night in early Winter on the sea ice, before it got rough. Turn off the headlight, slide forward and lay back on the seat, then go full throttle and admire the stars and Aurora Borealis overhead.

Harley Low Rider with Ohlins suspension. One of HD's less expensive models. Not very fancy and a little rough, but I could ride it like a sport bike. Indian Chief Vintage because it is so smooth riding, comfortable, and beautiful to look at. I definitely don't ride that one like a sport bike.
DSCN2056.JPG
RSCN2204.JPG

1980 Toyota 4x4 pickup: Turning radius of a blue whale, a 4 cylinder Motor you could not kill and would dent if you looked at it wrong. My first. Given to me when I left for college at UofA in 89. But drove it my senior year in high school. I Loved that truck. So did my girl friend, now wife.

Sold it to the original owner who paid more than bluebook for sentimental reasons. I never should have sold it.

1970 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. It had the Fleetwood body and pillars between the front and back doors. It was my first car and it was darn near bullet-proof.

Black leather interior, leather-wrapped steering wheel, limited-slip differential, autronic eye, true climate control, awesome heater, automatic trunk, true power steering, electric seats, power windows, feather-touch power brakes, endless legroom for tall friends, and 375 horses under the hood. When it snowed it plowed the snow.

It was easy to work on and a treat to drive. Very luxurious, I wish I had never lost it. It had nearly everything I ever wanted in a car.

My current 1996 Cadlillac Feetwood Brougham is very reminiscent of it and I'll probably be buried in it because of so.

Chris

A lot of awesome replies! :a14:

But a couple really grabbed my attention.

1981 Honda CB900F Super Sport

This was the "super bike" before modern crotch rocket super bikes came on the scene. Fast and comfortable. I drove one all over New England after high school and then Southern California when I moved to San Diego in my early 20's. Owned it until I wrecked it in 1996. Never drove a street bike again...

View attachment 941662
Damn, I'm in serious lust. I love the early Honda straight 4's and V4's, just incredible bikes way before their time. My first new bike was a 1998 VFR800 and loved it. Never rode anything before or since with that wide a power-band, could grab the throttle at and RPM and be off like a jet. Riding a Versys 1000 now which I really enjoy but it is kind of an old man's bike (sucks when the knees and back don't want to fold like a pretzel anymore), but if I could find a CB900 in mint condition it would be tempting to make the trade.

A lot of awesome replies! :a14:

But a couple really grabbed my attention.

1981 Honda CB900F Super Sport

This was the "super bike" before modern crotch rocket super bikes came on the scene. Fast and comfortable. I drove one all over New England after high school and then Southern California when I moved to San Diego in my early 20's. Owned it until I wrecked it in 1996. Never drove a street bike again...

View attachment 941662
Damn, I'm in serious lust. I love the early Honda straight 4's and V4's, just incredible bikes way before their time. My first new bike was a 1998 VFR800 and loved it. Never rode anything before or since with that wide a power-band, could grab the throttle at and RPM and be off like a jet. Riding a Versys 1000 now which I really enjoy but it is kind of an old man's bike (sucks when the knees and back don't want to fold like a pretzel anymore), but if I could find a CB900 in mint condition it would be tempting to make the trade.

1980-ish John Deere Trailfire 440 snowmobile, much like this one:
proxy.php

It was not a toy, but the main family vehicle, when we lived here for a couple of years
Very cool but I gotta ask re. the location. Was the far side of the moon too close and you wanted something a bit more remote? I've been to the Mackenzie River area and I thought that was isolated, you've got me beat by a LONG shot.

The only car I would have considered buying again was an Infiniti G series. But I need a good AWD system so I bought an Acura RDX which is a nice car. If I was going to get a 3rd car, it would be an Infiniti G.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When I was 19 I drove a 1997 Cadillac DeVille d’Elegance. Pops bought it for mom, mom didn’t like it ( no idea why!) so I got it. It was awesome. For one, I was 19 driving a big arse Cadillac. For two, I was 19 driving a big arse Cadillac! So naturally I put in a nice sound system with 2 thumping 12” subs in the trunk. Only got 1 sound ordnance ticket though. It was a beast and it was quite fast too. Very comfortable to drive. I loved it.

Funny story, one of my friends had just joined the police force. He asks me one day at a party “does anyone else ever drive your car?” I said no not really, but my dad drove it a few days ago. He’s like “well tell your dad I’m sorry for running him off the road”. Apparently my buddy saw my car, thought it was me and thought he would be funny so he flipped his lights on, made a u-turn and punched it like he was making a felony stop. Ran up on my dad who freaked the heck out and ran off the road in a haste trying to pull over. My cop buddy realizes it’s not me and just casually drives off. Haha! I was cracking up. I see my dad and he’s like “do you know any cops?” I’m like “haha , yeah a couple”. Well one of your buddies ran me of the road!! He must have thought I was you!

Not the car I had but just like it, cept for the color.
CE1101DD-9752-46ED-AC38-7D55E7A80DCC.jpeg

Now my new favorite car is the truck I just got. It’s my favorite because it’s a “beater”. And as long as it still runs I don’t care what happens to it. All my other cars were new and I’m that guy that doesn’t park next to anyone, and doesn’t want to haul anything, and doesn’t want to scratch or get dirty the cars. Well this one....freedom! I really don’t care as long as I can drive it from point A to point B.

116B0678-EE21-45CB-A9B1-56C47214DFF9.jpeg

No pics as many were long ago. I'll go in cronilogic order from first to last

1957 Jaguar XK-140-MC roadster (my first car)
1959 Jaguar MK-II sedan
1951 Jaguar XK-120 roadster
1953 Jaguar 2.4 liter MK-I
1961 Jaguar MK-IX saloon
1964 Jaguar MK-X saloon
1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super GT
1969 Maserati Quattro Port
1960 Jaguar MK-IX saloon
1972 Volvo P-1800-ES (sport wagon)
1965 Rambler Marlin (sn: 17)
1966 Shelby GT-350 (one of the hand made ones)
1959 Morris Mini-Minor panel delivery. Mini Cooper
1974 Land Rover Series III (last one imported to US).
2004 Volvo V-70R (400 hp 6 speed stick). Still have this one

That's about all of the interesting cars I've owned. Lot of grocery getters not mentioned.

Last edited:
Very cool but I gotta ask re. the location. Was the far side of the moon too close and you wanted something a bit more remote? I've been to the Mackenzie River area and I thought that was isolated, you've got me beat by a LONG shot.
I was managing the Art Shop department of the local Inuit-owned Co-op. Organizing the annual collection of limited edition prints, providing technical help for lithographic printmaking (they had the equipment but needed the know-how), buying/selling stone and whalebone sculpture, and documenting a large collection of original drawings.
Who knew that my Art College printmaking courses would be so useful? Also, the people there were great.

I was managing the Art Shop department of the local Inuit-owned Co-op. Organizing the annual collection of limited edition prints, providing technical help for lithographic printmaking (they had the equipment but needed the know-how), buying/selling stone and whalebone sculpture, and documenting a large collection of original drawings.
Who knew that my Art College printmaking courses would be so useful? Also, the people there were great.
That's awesome! I'm sure you had some great experiences while there.

The best I owned was a Mustang 65, 289 when I was a grad student on the 90s. Bought it at low price because the flooring was on pieces and have to replace it, and spent weekends fixing things small and big. Once I have to stop on the road, take out the fuel pump, disassemble it for cleaning the check valve, put back together and continue with my travel. No AAA, no road assistance...

Had to sell it to pay student loans, but to this day it was one of the biggest toads I had to ate without complaints.
proxy.php

Enviado desde mi Moto E (4) mediante Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
1964 Impala with a 327/4 barrel was the most fun when I was in high school.

1979 Toyota Corolla was the first car I purchased at a car lot (used with 70,000 miles) - not my father's old car or uncles old car. It was in beautiful shape and I enjoyed the 5 speed stick, but no a/c. Half my maple tree ended up on top of it after a wind storm - totaled.

My favorite car is the one I'm currently driving: 2016 Audi A6 purchased new. 335 hp and it still gets 30 miles to the gallon on the road. Rides great and still makes me very happy.

proxy.php

I've owned quite a few vehicles.
My first was a 1970 F100 shortbed,stepside with a 360 2bbl and a 3speed on the column w/electric overdrive.Drove til an old man ran a red light and totaled me .Then I got stiffed by his insurance company.bastids.

My favorite though was:
1978 International Scout II 304v8 2bbl,automatic,4wd,3:07 gearing.Bought it in 1983.It was comfortable,had a/c .Light-pale yellow with custom black and gray pinstripes and accent panels,black carpet ,the best bucket seats I've had in a vehicle.I put a nice stereo,equalizer w/ 6x9 and 5 inch speakers in it.It had good road manners and was fairly fast(115-120 mph was my fastest in it and I backed off the gas 'cause it had started "floating") was pretty good off road.With 31 inch mudgrips it got 15 mpg around town,19 mpg on the hwy.With 225'size street tires the hwy mpg went up to 22 or so.

Busted the rear end and suddenly everyone I helped work on their vehicles were busy and could not help me.Sold it to a fellow,bought it back from him 5-6 years later.Drove it for a few years and Turns out he had did some dodgy things to the wiring and it caught fire pulling into my driveway.Got that fixed but it had electrical gremlins after that and sold it to a former coworker who had a Scout that needed a drivetrain.If I ever hit the lottery I'll get a restored one.

My favorite was my first, a 1976 Toyota Land Crusher FJ40.

It was nigh unstoppable off road or in the snow. A simple box on wheels with lots of low end torque and 4 wheel drive. It would rust if you looked askance at it, but I loved it none the less.

Stock pic:
upload_2019-1-11_12-9-41.jpeg

Top Bottom