What's new

Keto

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Missus and I have been on keto since January 2nd. We're both trying to shed a few pounds (although I'm 30 pounds down from last Christmas), but mostly to improve our food quality. No processed food at all...and that means no bread, pasta, chips or fake cheese. If you are not familiar with the ketosis (see below for definition) way of eating it's simply replacing sugar and carbs as fuel, with fats. A moderate amount of protein is added to round it all out. Carbs and sugar are non-essential, your body requires neither to live. We both were never sugary sweet dessert type of eaters any way so this way of eating wasn't much of a change. We're big veggies eaters which helps the matter, but all veggies don't necessarily fit into the plan. On Friday I grilled some grass fed beef burgers (85/15) and used a keto bread recipe that made a splendidly looking bun with a nice texture (no flour). Not as good as a potato bun but still a close 3rd. We added avocado, cheese mayo/mustard and finished it all with a chocolate fat bomb with no sugar (See picture below). One thing I notice within about a week is I don't feel hungry any more. It's just not on my mind as much. Recipes are fun to look for and try and breakfast fits perfectly into keto and my favorite meal of the day. We are basically on a macro-nutrient break down of 75% fats, 5% carbs and 20% protein.

Has any one else gave keto a try? If so, what are your thoughts?
20190108_102743.jpg

Ketosis is a metabolic state in which some of the body's energy supply comes from ketone bodies (fats) in the blood, in contrast to a state of glycolysis in which blood glucose (sugars) provides energy.

I have tried it and I lost about 30lbs in eight months. I put on right back and some after I switched back to regular food. Some say it can clog your arteries a lot faster from all that fat.

The Missus and I have been on keto since January 2nd. We're both trying to shed a few pounds (although I'm 30 pounds down from last Christmas), but mostly to improve our food quality. No processed food at all...and that means no bread, pasta, chips or fake cheese. If you are not familiar with the ketosis (see below for definition) way of eating it's simply replacing sugar and carbs as fuel, with fats. I moderate amount of protein is added to round it all out. Carbs and sugar are non-essential, your body requires neither to live. We both were never sugary sweet dessert type of eaters any way so this way of eating wasn't much of a change. We're big veggies eaters which helps the matter, but all veggies don't necessarily fit into the plan. On Friday I grilled some grass fed beef burgers (85/15) and used a keto bread recipe that made a splendidly looking bun with a nice texture (no flour). Not as good as a potato bun but still a close 3rd. We added avocado, cheese mayo/mustard and finished it all with a chocolate fat bomb with no sugar (See picture below). One thing I notice within about a week is I don't feel hungry any more. It's just not on my mind as much. Recipes are fun to look for and try and breakfast fits perfectly into keto and my favorite meal of the day. We are basically on a macro-nutrient break down of 75% fats, 5% carbs and 20% protein.

Has any one else gave keto a try? If so, what are your thoughts? View attachment 941827

Ketosis is a metabolic state in which some of the body's energy supply comes from ketone bodies (fats) in the blood, in contrast to a state of glycolysis in which blood glucose (sugars) provides energy.

About a year ago there was thread started that became quite extensive, maybe in the Clubhouse(?) forum, i think started by @dangerousdon if that's any help.
dave

I am typically paleo, but over the last few months, plus Christmas and lingering back injury I went from 165~170 in 02/2018 (I have a runner build) to 192. I started keto on 02 JAN 2019 as well and have already lost 5 lbs. We typically come out of Christmas knowing we will have to do a Whole30, but with 20+ lbs instead of the usual 10 to lose we are going hardcore. The nice thing is this will reset me and I should be back on track. I am willing to stay keto for at least three months if need be. I am already in ketosis, so it is all good.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
BTW, will probably start fasting 1 or 2 days a week, next week.
Sounds like it's working for you. I'm in ketosis too with 2.5 pounds down. I'm fasting with eat times are from 12:00PM to 6:30PM. It is not hard once your body gets used to it. The Missus is down 7 pounds.

Tonight we're eating a fajita bowl with flank steak (Tex-Mex seasoning), lettuce, peppers and onions, avocado, Mexican cheese and a smoked paprika sour cream dressing.

I started keto January 1 and am down 8lbs so far. This is my second serious go at it. I'm looking to lose around 40lbs to keep my blood pressure down. I reached my goal weight last time I did keto but gained it all back over the past couple of years. My only complaint is the price of good fresh produce this time of year.

Sounds like it's working for you. I'm in ketosis too with 2.5 pounds down. I'm fasting with eat times are from 12:00PM to 6:30PM. It is not hard once your body gets used to it. The Missus is down 7 pounds. Tonight we're eating a fajita bowl with flank steak (Tex-Mex seasoning), lettuce, peppers and onions, avocado, Mexican cheese and a smoked paprika sour cream dressing.

We had "egg roll in a bowl." Great stuff! I also had a third of a cup of blackberries for dessert. Honestly, I am eating good stuff and have no complaints. You guys are kicking it as well! 10 lbs (as a couple) in a week is pretty darn impressive!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I started keto January 1 and am down 8lbs so far. This is my second serious go at it. I'm looking to lose around 40lbs to keep my blood pressure down. I reached my goal weight last time I did keto but gained it all back over the past couple of years. My only complaint is the price of good fresh produce this time of year.
I hear ya on the BP. Mine drops for every pound that comes off. Fresh produce is a must and can be expensive at times. I try and buy organic when possible but sometimes it's not available.

We had "egg roll in a bowl." Great stuff! I also had a third of a cup of blackberries for dessert. Honestly, I am eating good stuff and have no complaints. You guys are kicking it as well! 10 lbs (as a couple) in a week is pretty darn impressive!
Thanks. I know some of it is water weight but after a few weeks and some more pounds off you know it's not water that you're losing .

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Has any one else gave keto a try? If so, what are your thoughts?

I have, and it's been great. As mentioned above, there are some substantial threads around here about keto and the benefits &c.

Some say it can clog your arteries a lot faster from all that fat.

There will always be "some who say" anything. Generally, the more persuasive, evidence-based arguments tend to focus on the problems caused by refined carbohydrates and insulin &c.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I went into Trader Joes and asked for a Keto Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and gravy along with a buttered dinner roll.

The girl that works there with the tye-died t-shirt and pony tail handed me a sack of black beans and a handful of Kale. I'm never going back to that place!

Tried Paleo for a few months and few years back but couldn't keep to it, my body was craving carbs after the first week. It works for those who can keep to it but you have to have strong will power and put in the time and effort. For me it was just too much.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight was 4oz of grilled pork chops with brussel sprouts with a tiny bit of butternut squash. Followed by 1/2 chocolate fat bomb.

Tonight was 4oz of grilled pork chops with brussel sprouts with a tiny bit of butternut squash. Followed by 1/2 chocolate fat bomb.
Hello Doctorshavegood congrats on your keto journey. I tried keto diet and felt like I was starving ironically what ended up working for me was a fasted focused lifestyle. If you really want to shed some fat and feel great try snake diet. The most natural state of ketosis=fasting, since thats what ketosis is for. When you don't have food carbs/sugar your body goes into a natural state of ketosis so your brain can keep functioning untill you find some food :) what we used to do when we hunted our food to survive. Somtimes go days without food then find somthing whether it be hunting animals or fruit/vegetables depending on where you lived. Now we have food everywhere and eat too frequently. look up snake juice or snake diet it allows you to keep electolytes up feel good and exercise while fasting 72 hours or more at a time at that point you can eat a meal be it "keto" meal or not but you shed body fat like crazy not to mention benefits of autophagy thats another interesting thing to look up. The best part is I don't have to be that guy who is a weirdo at family gatherings and parties being so restricted to what I can have and not have instead I can time my fast and eating meal around family events and eat whatever I want and be right back in ketosis within 48hrs after, assuming I get knocked out of ketosis. Anyways I lost 100 lbs using this since late July 2018 goal is to hit my ideal weight 185 I'm currently 219 and I still am doing 72s When I hit 185 in about 2 months I will then do 1 meal a day in a 1 hour window or 48h fasting whichever maintains my weight at 185 easier. I tried keto for a solid year in 2015-2016 lost weight but it was hard and I felt like a ticking timebomb I eventually failed the diet. I like to devour steak when I eat my meal... I love steak :thumbup1: ymmv

gl on your keto journey and the search of a healthier lifestyle.

Keto worked well for my wife . . . to a point. She has had gastric bypass surgery and was already losing weight dramatically. She switched to Keto when her weight loss plateaued. During that time she had her gall bladder removed (separate issue), but that can lead to complications for people doing the Keto diet, as the fats that would normally be processed through a healthy gall bladder, were now making their way into the bowel and causing irritation. She would get periodic painful flare ups of that irritation such that she could not get out of bed. Duration could be 1-2 days.

A healthy diet, and moderate exercise, may not be sexy, but they are a proven measure to control weight and maintain health.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
@Mjairo

I've fasted intermittently the last 4 days with results. Breakfast at 12PM and last meal at 6:30PM. I've been reading the book "Fat For Fuel" by Dr. Joseph Mercola. His definition of ketosis is "Mitochondrial Metebolic Therapy." He explains all the different ways of fasting and how they may benefit your health. He also includes what to eat and why. From the list of his recommended foods there is plenty to choose from to make a wonderful meal.

@Mjairo

I've fasted intermittently the last 4 days with results. Breakfast at 12PM and last meal at 6:30PM. I've been reading the book "Fat For Fuel" by Dr. Joseph Mercola. His definition of ketosis is "Mitochondrial Metebolic Therapy." He explains all the different ways of fasting and how they may benefit your health. He also includes what to eat and why. From the list of his recommended foods there is plenty to choose from to make a wonderful meal.
Nice, sounds like a solid read. Thanks

How do people arrive at a target weight and once there... what if any changes are made to the eating plan to maintain the target weight?
Thanks,
dave

How do people arrive at a target weight and once there... what if any changes are made to the eating plan to maintain the target weight?
Thanks,
dave
Everyone is different you can get a general weight for your age and height on Google, but after you reach said target you can get a body fat % reading and figure out if you are good there or can go lower my range for 6ft 33yrs old is between 165-185 Once I hit 185 I'll re evaluate and check body fat %. Once you hit your ideal weight pictures and weighing in will help keep you accountable and if you are still losing weight eat more and if you are goiing up adjust accordingly. Excersise should always be part of this process even if you can't do much. I have had 3 knee surgeries and still have a lot I can't do at the gym, just do everything you can and never ego lift :)

Top Bottom