What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
A New Year means new beer. What have you been trying? Sharing with buddies, sneaking one in the garage from the prying eyes of the wife? It's all good. 'Fess up!

Hard to find, but I scored a couple. Canadian Breakfast Stout from Founder's. Sans Mountie. Trademark or copyright issues, apparently. I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Don

Another year of beer gone by?! Incredible!
E0D9A9F2-1D98-46C0-ABAC-E327A80FCB48.jpeg

Still not sure why you would barrel age a Quad. The bourbon drowns the tasting notes that I seek out a Quad, but it is still nice sipping.

My local ABC has CBS, but at a premium. Hopefully I’ll get a snifter on tap at the local craft beer spot. It is delicious!

My local ABC has CBS, but at a premium. Hopefully I’ll get a snifter on tap at the local craft beer spot. It is delicious!

Yep. After tax, it was a little over $27 for a bomber.

Just tapped into it. I'm REALLY liking it. I could see why some people would think it'd be too sweet, but to me it seems like an improved Sumatra Mountain. You know.... I should have poured about half cup over the roast I'm making right now. Kicks KBS right out of the park.

Don

A0415C9F-C1C1-42D2-BEAD-5B29A5DA625C.jpeg

Grabbed one at Fresh Market. 8% ABV. I know it’s marketing, but it was cool to learn about the Swedish holiday connection. Rather have a Stone Xocoveza at holiday time, but I didn’t see it this year.

Rather have a Stone Xocoveza at holiday time, but I didn’t see it this year.

I'll have one for you. Still have a bottle from 2016. Saw it in cans this year, but I just wasn't interested.

New Glarus Spotted Cow with a Papa Murphy's take 'n bake pizza. Tuscan chicken and sausage thin crust. Yum.

Don

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A dude I work went visited FL recently and brought me back this. One of my top 3 Hefs now. Really good!

FFD5C7AF-2D3B-45BC-92E4-2C00D25417E4.jpeg

D12C2C42-718B-4419-B5A6-8D09871A7C72.jpeg
Mistake on 2 levels: 1) ordered a Southern 2X Stout and the waitress brought this, and 2) need a lager with sushi.

Out for the wife's school holiday party tonight. She does it after the New Year so as to avoid adding to everyone's stress at the end of the year. You must pay for your own beverages, of course, and I sampled a couple beers this evening: St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and Birds Fly South Rustic Sunday Saison (little tart for my liking).

Tonight was a home brewed sour.

8.1% sour brown ale and the last of a batch I bottled 7 years ago. It's been very interesting to see how the flavors have developed over time. Recipe from Wild Brews

7 years was a bit too long for this one, but still quite good.

Attachments

• sour.jpg
    sour.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Meh. But it has to be consumed. Too gimicky, I think.

Too sweet? Or overwhelmingly flavored so much that you forgot it was a beer?

No pictures, but stocked up on New Glarus' Cabin Fever, a honey infused bock. I'm enjoying one from Point Brewing called Snow Pilot, a pistachio nut brown ale. Not bad.

Don

Last edited:
Too sweet? Or overwhelmingly flavored so much that you forgot it was a beer?
Don
Maybe they have captured grape jelly too well in this beer. Possibly too far removed from a traditional brown ale. And it is pretty sweet. My son bought the six and left 4, sooo...

A brown ale? Too sweet? I've been eyeing it.

Wisconsin Brewing Company's Chocolate Lab Porter. Typical chocolate infused beer; pleasant. 5.2% ABV.

Don
Well, of course you must try it...

...but I don't feel it does anything to separate itself from most Lagunitas offerings. Similar nose and taste profile. Higher ABV. I didn't get a strong sweetness. I certainly finished it, but went home after dinner never thinking I would need to have another. IDK...lemme know what you think!

I will once again recommend the brewery tour if ever you find yourself in Petaluma....

8BBC1B99-5681-40E0-BF5A-480718F9C895.jpeg 82D420B2-C147-4615-BE1E-7F11B8B68F95.jpeg
Had to make a pickup at RSW tonight, so we stopped at Fort Myers Brewing to have a food truck burger and beer. Left is Start Early Stout, a fair Oatmeal stout. On the right is Bubblin’ Crude, a Russian Imperial Stout, which is pretty tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom