What's new

Weird question - Can you prematurely "age" a fragrance?

Is that possible?

For example - if I were to remove an after shave bottle cap and leave it open for some time, will it age/alter the scent?

I bought somethings on eBay and it came with a half full bottle of the first generation plastic Old Spice. Must be from around 2010. It smells awesome. Even in a plastic bottle. I was wondering if there is a way to speed up the aging process of the scent or do I have to wait 10 years?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You could try decanting it into a larger glass bottle.

I did that with some stinky Veg and it mellowed it ... After a few years.

AA

Is that possible?

For example - if I were to remove an after shave bottle cap and leave it open for some time, will it age/alter the scent?

I bought somethings on eBay and it came with a half full bottle of the first generation plastic Old Spice. Must be from around 2010. It smells awesome. Even in a plastic bottle. I was wondering if there is a way to speed up the aging process of the scent or do I have to wait 10 years?

I would be hesitant to leave the cap off since I figure that the alcohol would vaporize its way out of the bottle and you'd be left with an ineffective aftershave. What might work (though I am not certain since I have not tried it) would be to leave it in a pretty warm, bright place for a while. I figure the "aged" smell you're looking for is due to some of the more fragile oils breaking down over time, and the way to speed this up would be heat and light, the things they always tell you to avoid. A heat lamp would probably do wonders, if not, then perhaps a warm water bath and then leave it in a bright window. Decanting into a glass bottle as written above before this might also help if you've got an empty glass bottle laying around.

Just use it and enjoy. If it smells great, other than putting it in glass, you will probably only make it smell worse trying to do anything else to it.

Decanting into glass is just to get rid of the plastic odor from cheap bottles. OS has never had that problem in my collection. Great stuff!

If you really want some vintage Shulton in glass bottles just hunt on the bay. It’s easy to find a deal. Then you can refill that bottle with whatever you have on hand.

Top Bottom