What's new

The Sprout 2019

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I new year and more to learn about how to grow things. Post your questions, ideas, advice and of course, please post pictures.

Have fun and eat well.

I’m growing Japanese turnips, radish, kale, onions, kohlrabi and arugula. Yesterday I picked some Meyer lemons and arugula for a salad. We also made a butternut squash arugula salad with pecans and Parmesan cheese the night before. I have so much arugula I’m giving away bags of the stuff because we can’t possibly eat all of it. This picture is yesterday’s harvest in a large colander.

6CC0DA90-87EE-4850-B551-6C2A3B893A5B by Jay Hann, on Flickr

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I’m growing Japanese turnips, radish, kale, onions, kohlrabi and arugula. Yesterday I picked some Meyer lemons and arugula for a salad. We also made a butternut squash arugula salad with pecans and Parmesan cheese the night before. I have so much arugula I’m giving away bags of the stuff because we can’t possibly eat all of it. This picture is yesterday’s harvest in a large colander.

6CC0DA90-87EE-4850-B551-6C2A3B893A5B by Jay Hann, on Flickr
Nice haul. Same with me on the Arugula. It's basically a great tasting weed. I love it in salads or with some shaved fennel and a simple vinaigrette dressing.

E834C52E-8621-4BDD-AEC7-F88C5680132A.jpeg
A5ECF812-9ABB-4395-BDF9-C7B644F0EDAD.jpeg
I've just made a cup of herbal tea I blended from things I grew for their medicinal qualities. A couple of the items often included but not home grown are the yerba mate and yerba santa.

Calendula, yarrow, yerba santa, lavender, yerba mate, stevia leaf, horehound, mullein, red mallow.
Shown are horehound, yarrow, calendula flowers, petals, and the blend.

I look forward to the year ahead, growing of course, and reading, viewing, and throwing in on this thread at times. I hope to set up an indoor kale grow soon. I need soil,
and to make room for or choose a space for the grow tent.

Sigh... six months to go, nice Chris, real nice.

Was searching 'round the web for reviews of Wild Boar tomato varieties i had my eye on. Came across a bunch posted at Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds: Rare Heirloom Seeds who are sellers of a number of the Boar varieties.

Big selection of all kinds of other vegetable, herbs & other seeds i didn't have access to, decent prices, free seed packets added to my basket as i built my cart and huge bonus - free shipping to Canada (as well as USA & Mexico).

Ended up with five Wild Boar tomato varieties, some beans & cowpeas, radishes, carrots and salad greens plus the three freebee mystery packs.

2019 has begun.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sigh... six months to go, nice Chris, real nice.

Was searching 'round the web for reviews of Wild Boar tomato varieties i had my eye on. Came across a bunch posted at Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds: Rare Heirloom Seeds who are sellers of a number of the Boar varieties.

Big selection of all kinds of other vegetable, herbs & other seeds i didn't have access to, decent prices, free seed packets added to my basket as i built my cart and huge bonus - free shipping to Canada (as well as USA & Mexico).

Ended up with five Wild Boar tomato varieties, some beans & cowpeas, radishes, carrots and salad greens plus the three freebee mystery packs.

2019 has begun.

dave
I'll be planting Wild Boars Cosmic Eclipse this Spring. They did well previously.

So it's not just my backyard... what a drag. Months of waiting and bang... sabotaged. I could live with it if they finished the one they started but the creatures seem to need to take a bite out of all.
dave

Top Bottom