What's new

Torrey Tuesday

I like it. Torrey made their razors special. Could this an ad for your razor?
National Association of Retail Druggists Journal

I dont know much about Torrey razors other then they are excellent shavers. When I saw the one I bought the scales caught my eye, and I have never seen another one like it. The razors I buy I use, I believe if your going to buy it use it as its puropse was intended. Wish i could date it to know roughly when it was made.

So, I started Micromatic Monday this Summer as a way to enjoy using GEM SE razors with B&B members. Now I am thinking about doing the same with Torrey razors.

If you want to participate, use any Torrey SR you have and let us know how it went. Hopefully I'll have my first Torrey "Our 136" honed and ready for a shave on Tuesday, January 1.

Thank you for participating.
I used my Torrey yesterday. I only have two SR; Torrey and a Wade and Butcher. To be honest I prefer the W&B, but they both give a good shave. I’m new to he whole wet shave tradition, so I’m not sure my opinion is worth much.

I used my Torrey yesterday. I only have two SR; Torrey and a Wade and Butcher. To be honest I prefer the W&B, but they both give a good shave. I’m new to he whole wet shave tradition, so I’m not sure my opinion is worth much.
Your opinion is a good as mine or anyone's. Please join Torrey Tuesday and enjoy the Brotherhood of the Blade.

Where did you find That? It is beautiful....

They were just listed on that auction site. Buyers tend to ignore the 9/16 and 5/8 width.

John Holler is not discussed a much, but I had studied the company's history. They ceased operations in 1906 if I remember correctly. I had search on hardware and barbers supply razor. I have a Theo Kochs Barber Supply. Just have to be sneaky and know your stuff. The hunt is half the fun.

I'd been looking for the Our 136 since October. It is my favorite Torrey. I was over bid on one the week before and was so glad when it happened 'cause this one showed up.

I am planning to use the Our 136 for a New Year shave and the first Torrey Tuesday. Anyone who wants to join is welcome. Please post photos, before and after, or history about the razor and how you came to own.

7B57D4DF-8FF2-4788-BB49-8022F875B159.jpeg

Antique J.R. Torrey "Our 136". I love everything about this well preserved blade. It was honed with films down to 3 mu and finished with coticule and Thuringian. Horse hide followed of course.

Happy New Year and Torrey Tuesday if you choose to participate. :)

Last edited:

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I'm afraid I don't know much about this razor. I got it from the BST for a very good price and using it and a few others to learn how to hone.

My 5/8 Torrey "The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor", finished on 12K Nanawa then CROX pasted Strop. Good shave this morning.
DSC01543 - Copy.JPG

I'll add my "Our 136" to the mix today ...
IMG_20190101_152348.jpg

The Torrey came from eBay in the condition you see. Sharpened by @Sdm84 and maintained with diamond pasted balsa. The wedge shaped tang makes for an interesting grip. It needs a technique similar to narrow-tang framebacks because a little torque results in a wide swing in the blade angle.

Taconic Shave Bay Rum and my Semogue 2040 HD silvertip left me with a thoroughly enjoyable and BBS shave.

Top Bottom