What's new

Graduating to a tuck

9907A414-EA56-49D7-B008-9E7A4D03D00C.jpeg
When I first started I sampled blades by buying a tuck at a time. I ended up with a few blades that never made it to a 3rd blade. However I did find several blades I liked enough to buy in bigger quantities; 7 o’clock blacks, Nacets, Lab Blues. Earlier this year I bought several blades two at a time from try a blade and then figured out which to try out a whole tuck. First pass helped me discover Rapira Platinum Lux; it made to tuck level with Voskhod and Med Prep. It won over the other two for bulk purchase. This time around making the cut to tuck was Bic, German Wilks, and Permasharp. Bic was actually a blade I used earlier on with success and moved on from for no apparent reason. Decided to revisit. German Wilks; a blade carried by Christmas Tree Shoppes. It’s always nice to have a blade you can buy on the road. Lastly, Permasharpa. One that after two blades looks like a contender for a big purchase.

What’s been your recent blade revisit, new discovery? What’s your routine for trying new blades? Mines become try 2 then revisit 5 more if good enough. When I try the two it’s with my baseline razor, 34 HD. Then the five see other razors I own.

Nicely done, @mbb703!! And very pragmatic!!

When I started, I went the sampler pack route, and then some more samples, then was PIF'd some amazing blades. Based on the results (and timely sales), I made a couple of 100 blade purchases. I'm currently working thru these blades. However, I've been diagnosed with BAD but can't help myself from acquiring more blades. Been wet shaving for a couple of years and still am excited about trying different blades in various razors!! Loving this adventure!!

For Christmas, an excellent Buddy gave me an dizzying assortment of blades which includes a tuck each of the Bic Chrome Platinums and Wilkinson Swords!!

Congrats on finding some blades you like! I bought a sampler also when I started and quickly found the blades I preferred after a handful of haves with each. Test driving really is the best sales pitch!

View attachment 939116 When I first started I sampled blades by buying a tuck at a time. I ended up with a few blades that never made it to a 3rd blade. However I did find several blades I liked enough to buy in bigger quantities; 7 o’clock blacks, Nacets, Lab Blues. Earlier this year I bought several blades two at a time from try a blade and then figured out which to try out a whole tuck. First pass helped me discover Rapira Platinum Lux; it made to tuck level with Voskhod and Med Prep. It won over the other two for bulk purchase. This time around making the cut to tuck was Bic, German Wilks, and Permasharp. Bic was actually a blade I used earlier on with success and moved on from for no apparent reason. Decided to revisit. German Wilks; a blade carried by Christmas Tree Shoppes. It’s always nice to have a blade you can buy on the road. Lastly, Permasharpa. One that after two blades looks like a contender for a big purchase.

What’s been your recent blade revisit, new discovery? What’s your routine for trying new blades? Mines become try 2 then revisit 5 more if good enough. When I try the two it’s with my baseline razor, 34 HD. Then the five see other razors I own.

Good system!! Looks like our tastes overlap a fair bit. I suggest you give GSB a try if you have not already.

I like your system too. My journey was kind of weird. Here goes.

I bought a tuck at a time on ebay. Many of them were ones that I liked the sound of, along with a few recommended ones like feather, GSB and astra SP. I found a local store that sells German Wilkinsons and bought several of those. My favorite was Sharp Star (it looked cool) and it was the only one for a while that was sharp and smooth at the same time.

Then I learned it was only produced for one year in 2012, barely any online. I managed to scare up 650 of them and bought them all!

I bought one tuck of gillette Rubie and loved them. They aren't super easy to get for a great price. I did find a deal and immediately bought 100. The last I wanted to try was Indian Wilkinson sword. They were just a little more expensive for 100 than they were for 5 blades! This was $3.50 for 5 or 100 for $7.50 on amazon. So I just bought 100 sight unseen.

So that's a strange blade trip!

I use your 2 from tryablade ...... move the acceptable ones on to a tuck ....... try ‘em in different razors ....... and then buy 100 of the ones I love.

I insist on loving them. If I bought 100 of all the ones that were just good ...... I’d have a million by now.

Lots of fun exploring, though.

My base razor used to be the 34HD, too, but I got tired of it and PIFed it to a buddy. Not sure if I have a base razor any more .... since if a blade fails in any of my razors, why promote it to tuck level?

I bought a tuck at a time on ebay. Many of them were ones that I liked the sound of, along with a few recommended ones like feather, GSB and astra SP. I found a local store that sells German Wilkinsons and bought several of those. My favorite was Sharp Star (it looked cool) and it was the only one for a while that was sharp and smooth at the same time.

Then I learned it was only produced for one year in 2012, barely any online. I managed to scare up 650 of them and bought them all!

I bought one tuck of gillette Rubie and loved them. They aren't super easy to get for a great price. I did find a deal and immediately bought 100. The last I wanted to try was Indian Wilkinson sword. They were just a little more expensive for 100 than they were for 5 blades! This was $3.50 for 5 or 100 for $7.50 on amazon. So I just bought 100 sight unseen.

It does present a problem when a 100 is cheaper because of free shipping than a tuck. For that reason I wait until I have several blades to buy to spread out the cost. Otherwise, there are blades that at times show up for <$8 for 100 with free shipping. Painful to buy 5 for $1.50 and then $3 shipping in those cases.

I use your 2 from tryablade ...... move the acceptable ones on to a tuck ....... try ‘em in different razors ....... and then buy 100 of the ones I love.

I insist on loving them. If I bought 100 of all the ones that were just good ...... I’d have a million by now.

Lots of fun exploring, though.

My base razor used to be the 34HD, too, but I got tired of it and PIFed it to a buddy. Not sure if I have a base razor any more .... since if a blade fails in any of my razors, why promote it to tuck level?
Base razor only applies to first two. The tuck then gets tried out in multiple razors. I had put 34 aside for awhile and then revisited to find that zamak aside, it really had a good head geometry to evaluate blades.

How are the Indian Wilk Swords?

How are the Indian Wilk Swords?
Average in a good way. Smooth, reasonably sharp with great edge retention. The winter air is drying my beard into iron so I have had to use my sharpest blades lately. They'll do the job, but a feather is better for me right now.

I love the way you are going about sampling blades. I wish I could say I was as smart. I read what others say about blades and then look around for a good price on a hundred. Needless to say, I've made several 100-blade purchases that didn't work out for me. Luckily, there's always someone to give them to.

At the bargain basement prices for blades, and having a well stocked brick & mortar shaving store nearby, I buy nothing less than tucks. When I started DE shaving I bought a tuck of Astra SP, found them acceptable, then bought a carton of a 100 for the princely sum of 10 only bucks delivered.

I then read the forum, and started buying tucks of blades that interested me. I pay anywhere from $1.25 to $2.50 a tuck, with most being under 2 bucks. It took me around two months to amass a collection of around 40 or 50 different tucks. I then experimented to my heart's content, picking-up an occasional 100ct carton of the blades I really like, that fit a specifically defined niche (sharp, smooth, balanced, unique feel, etc.).

The only exception I've made has been for KAI blades. I find them interesting, but never crossed the threshold of buying a 100 at their current relatively high price in relation to other blades. But every time my tuck of KAI runs out, I find I buy another because while I'm not convinced I'll use a hundred, I still like having them around due to their uniqueness. I probably should just pull the trigger on a hundred.

My method has served me well, and I'm happy I used it.

At 100 blades a year of consumption, I just can’t see tying up too much money in 100 packs unless I plan to use 20 a year of one. Once I get to 5-6 blades of 100 packs, I’m done until I use something up. Granted, if something goes on clearance, I might bite.

Top Bottom