What's new

Schone v. Fatip

Several have acknowledged already that the Schone is smoother, but any guesses as to why?

With recent posts in other threads on the rigidity of the Fatip Grande & virtually no blade gap, the consensus seems to be that it is very efficient and yet very smooth at the same time, (blade depending on ymmv). If the Schone is even smoother, I wonder if it also has to do with blade rigidity & zero gap?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The Schone does have fewer and wider combs so that might give a smoother feel.

Several have acknowledged already that the Schone is smoother, but any guesses as to why?
With recent posts in other threads on the rigidity of the Fatip Grande & virtually no blade gap, the consensus seems to be that it is very efficient and yet very smooth at the same time, (blade depending on ymmv). If the Schone is even smoother, I wonder if it also has to do with blade rigidity & zero gap?

Only lately there has been a lot of talk about blade rigidity. I don't believe it is a factor since every razor I have ever used or seen keeps the blade ridge to a degree. The blade gap may make it feel smoother but I doubt that is a factor either. I use to use a Parker 94r razor with a large blade gap and it always felt smooth to me.

Last edited:
All this is interesting, but I'm so impressed with my Old Type, not to mention my RazoRock Old Type which isn't quite as efficient but is the last word in smoothness and comfort, I -- gasp -- don't see the need to keep buying razors, open comb or otherwise. If either Fatip or Schone came with a really grippy handle, that would be another story, as my hands don't grip too well, especially early in the morning. But as it is, I would likely end up swapping out the stock handle. But please keep posting reviews, maybe someday I'll change my mind.

All this is interesting, but I'm so impressed with my Old Type, not to mention my RazoRock Old Type which isn't quite as efficient but is the last word in smoothness and comfort, I -- gasp -- don't see the need to keep buying razors, open comb or otherwise. If either Fatip or Schone came with a really grippy handle, that would be another story, as my hands don't grip too well, especially early in the morning. But as it is, I would likely end up swapping out the stock handle. But please keep posting reviews, maybe someday I'll change my mind.

We can only hope.

I got my new Schone in today and it is flawless. Blade alinement is perfect and the finish is perfect. It has some nice heft to it. The shave was great. The handle was not slippery at all. The Schone has less blade feel than the Fatip Grande I have. They are both equally smooth.
My next shave I may do a side-by-side between the Schone and the Fatip. I am very happy with this razor.

Schone.JPG

I got my new Schone in today and it is flawless. Blade alinement is perfect and the finish is perfect. It has some nice heft to it. The shave was great. The handle was not slippery at all. The Schone has less blade feel than the Fatip Grande I have. They are both equally smooth.
My next shave I may do a side-by-side between the Schone and the Fatip. I am very happy with this razor.

View attachment 844521
proxy.php

I told you so that you'll like the Schone ;):thumbsup:

Since the consensus seems that the Schone is smoother than the Fatip Grande, having noticeably less blade feel yet still very efficient, I'm curious if the same is true of the Schone compared to the Fatip Testina Gentile? For those that have both or all three, which is smoothest?

In smoothness ranking order, would it be in this order? :

A.) Schone- the smoothest
B.) Fatip Testina Gentile- the next smoothest
C.) Fatip Grande/ Piccolo- last

Again, I'm more inquiring as to perceived smoothness, not efficiency, between these three.

Since the consensus seems that the Schone is smoother than the Fatip Grande, having noticeably less blade feel yet still very efficient, I'm curious if the same is true of the Schone compared to the Fatip Testina Gentile? For those that have both or all three, which is smoothest?

In smoothness ranking order, would it be in this order? :

A.) Schone- the smoothest
B.) Fatip Testina Gentile- the next smoothest
C.) Fatip Grande/ Piccolo- last

Again, I'm more inquiring as to perceived smoothness, not efficiency, between these three.

My vote would be in the smoothness ranking order.

1. Schone OC
2. Colonial Razors 'General' Stainless Steel
3. Fatip Testina Gentile CC
4. Fatip Grande OC

My vote would be in the smoothness ranking order.

1. Schone OC
2. Colonial Razors 'General' Stainless Steel
3. Fatip Testina Gentile CC
4. Fatip Grande OC

OK thanks for your input. Schone for the win!! Sounds like an amazing shaver. I just recently discovered the amazing shaves from an SE but the attention the Fatip's are getting lately and the Schone has awakened the dormant AD's that I thought were conquered!

Help me brethren! I've been bitten by the RAD bug!!! And no matter what I do to squelch it, it always returns. :a33::a34:

It has been several hours since my shave with the Schone and now I am feeling some prickly irritation on my neck. It's bothering me enough that I had to put some Nivea Post Shave Balm on my neck. I'm not sure why this happen. I used a brand new Astra blade and a D.R. Harris soap stick.
I'll see what happens next shave. I'm really puzzled by this.

I just ordered a (old handle style) gold and a (new handle style) chrome Schone from Alrossa. I've been using a Rockwell 6S (#5 plate) as my primary razor, but I sometimes grab a RazorRock Old Type (Barber Pole handle -- I'll always choose a RazorRock handle upgrade, when available, over than their basic bulldog or bamboo -- YMMV, but that's my opinion). The Rockwell is smoother, but the RR Old Type shaves closer and its head fits better into tight spots (like just below my nose) than the 6S. I was considering either a Muhl R41 or Fatip Grande, but came across this thread and decided to try Schone instead.

I assume that Schone uses the same 4.5mm threads as Fatips instead of the 5.0 that most modern razors use, but it would be nice if I'm wrong.

I just ordered a (old handle style) gold and a (new handle style) chrome Schone from Alrossa. I've been using a Rockwell 6S (#5 plate) as my primary razor, but I sometimes grab a RazorRock Old Type (Barber Pole handle -- I'll always choose a RazorRock handle upgrade, when available, over than their basic bulldog or bamboo -- YMMV, but that's my opinion). The Rockwell is smoother, but the RR Old Type shaves closer and its head fits better into tight spots (like just below my nose) than the 6S. I was considering either a Muhl R41 or Fatip Grande, but came across this thread and decided to try Schone instead.

I assume that Schone uses the same 4.5mm threads as Fatips instead of the 5.0 that most modern razors use, but it would be nice if I'm wrong.
The Schone uses the same handle threads as the other Fatips.

Any updates on blade alignment and quality control for 2019? I'm debating between this and a Grande. Plus wondering if I need either, since I already have a Gillette Old Type.

I had a look on Amazon for the Schone and purchasers were still reporting blade alignment issues.

Personally I have the Fatip Grande & Special edition. The grande is up for sale on on a UK site and the Special Edition, unused, is being sent back to Amazon. Fatip won't fix blade alignment woes as they would have done over the years by now if they cared.

Despite this, I will order a Schone from the USA as the handle alone looks ace compared to fatip and others have said the head looks a little better finished. When the you have depleted the swearing dictionary and got the blade aligned, these things deliver a strong performance.

Top Bottom