What's new

Gillette Slim adjustable...

I recently purchased a Gillette Slim Adjustable from eBay and had a question about the adjustability of the razor. In particular, does it matter if the razor doors are open or closed when you adjust the aggressiveness of the razor? I know that may seem like an odd question, but it crossed my mind, so I thought I would ask.

Thank you
Korey

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

It’s a good question, always adjust the razor with the doors open a bit. Takes the stress off the plate and lets it move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Been awhile since I used mine, but I’m 99% sure that you need to have the doors open, or at the very least loose (i.e, not tighten down) for the adjustment ring to move easily and smoothly. Someone jump in if I am misremembering.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A very well-regarded razor technician/fixer on B&B (CAP) has opined that it makes no difference when you adjust. Others advise that you should open the doors (even slightly) before adjusting. I tend to believe CAP, and I adjust mine during the shave without opening the doors. It’s a little tighter turn, but otherwise works just fine.

Flintstone65

It’s a good question, always adjust the razor with the doors open a bit. Takes the stress off the plate and lets it move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks kipper, I was typing as you were posting. That’s how I remember it as well. :a14:

Flintstone65

A very-well regarded razor technician/fixer on B&B (CAP) has opined that it makes no difference when you adjust. Others advise that you open the doors (even slightly) before adjusting. I tend to believe CAP and I adjust mine during the shave without opening the doors.
And now, I stand corrected! By the way, I didn’t recognize you with the new avatar!!!! Congrats on the “new face”!!! I’ve been thinking about changing mine, but it’s a little tough with my screen name.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
And now, I stand corrected! By the way, I didn’t recognize you with the new avatar!!!! Congrats on the “new face”!!! I’ve been thinking about changing mine, but it’s a little tough with my screen name.
upload_2018-12-28_21-28-44.jpeg

Just check the knob tightness after you've adjusted the razor. I find that if the knob is tight on mine and then I adjust it, the knob isn't always fully tight afterwards

A very well-regarded razor technician/fixer on B&B (CAP) has opined that it makes no difference when you adjust. Others advise that you should open the doors (even slightly) before adjusting. I tend to believe CAP, and I adjust mine during the shave without opening the doors. It’s a little tighter turn, but otherwise works just fine.

+2! The word from Olympus!! :a29:

Top Bottom