What's new

What is the oldest straight razor you own?

Another relative oldie, a matched pair of Joseph Rodgers in ivory, that I can fairly positively date back to December 12, 1889 :001_rolle

RodgersPairResto01a.JPG
RodgersPairResto02a.JPG
RodgersPairResto04a.JPG

Another lovely Max Sprecher restore, a pre-1890 Wade & Butcher hollow ground, with laminated G10 scales. Again, Max's images, not mine. The razor *is* mine, tho...

tim_wb_01.JPG
tim_wb_02.JPG
tim_wb_05.JPG
tim_wb_08.JPG

1918-24 S.R.Droescher/Blue Diamond
WIN_20181227_21_20_25_Pro.jpg
WIN_20181227_21_20_48_Pro.jpg

Shank reads: S.R.Droescher
Garwood N.J.
Made in Germany
(Vertically) 106

Obverse reads: (Vertically) 106
BLUE-U-DIAMOND
TRADE | MARK

Tang reads: > >SRD >[/QUOTE]

Probably my oldest blade atm. This Samuel Norris S:Norris stamp could make it as early as 1767. View attachment 938712 View attachment 938713 View attachment 938714
Absolutely gorgeous! All of the old steel has such a great look.

How many of you gentlemen use these razors, versus keeping them as shoe pieces?

My oldest was a late 1860s Wade and Butcher that I recently sold off because I could not hone that wedge. I wish I kept it.

The oldest one I have now is a Henry Sears and Son that I believe was made in the 1870s to 1880s.
image.jpg

I use a William Evatt from the 1790s and a Roberts from the same era most often to shave with out of the stubtails. Something like the one above is probably more case queen material

Amazing! I don't even think I've seen pictures of a straight razor that was older than the very late 1700s, so this is a treat. Thank you for posting them.

Probably my oldest blade atm. This Samuel Norris S:Norris stamp could make it as early as 1767.

How many of you gentlemen use these razors, versus keeping them as shoe pieces?

The Rodgers pair in ivory is fragile and rare, so I've only shaved with them a few times, just to have had the experience. They pretty much just stay in the case since.

The restored Greaves and W&B with blue G10 scales I use all the time, great shavers and rugged.

I'm going through a "wedge phase" right now, enjoying old Sheffield steel. My current favorite is an old W&B wedge with cornucopia/horn-of-plenty etching, from probably the 1850s -1860s. I got it for cheap off eBay with a ton of hone wear, non-original warped black plastic scales, and it is no beauty queen. But now that I've gotten the spine and bevel geometry issues sorted out, man does that thing shave! Silent but deadly, a whisker squeegee.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I could not say it better [ Silent but deadly, a whisker squeegee.] that's exactly the way my W&B Wedge shaves:em2300:

This is a super rare razor. Jonathan Hunt 3 blade interchangeable. Only made razors for a very short time early 1800s
20170228_005611.jpg
20170228_005618.jpg

Top Bottom