What's new

Help me decide...

Some background-
I’m now a year into my wet shaving experience and thoroughly enjoying it.
I currently own:
A Bluebeards Revenge shavette
A Rockwell 6C and
A Razo Rock GameChanger .68
I also have some yaqi heads.

I’ve been gifted some money for Christmas and my mind immediately goes to wanting another razor.

My ‘want’ list (and it’s very much a want) includes:
A game changer .84
A Karve CB
Something else...

I’m based in Australia, so other than the mass produced offerings, I’m pretty limited to what I can get here locally. That also adds cost with the $AUD and shipping.

I’m not interested in vintage. I like new shiny.

I’m also not looking to spend a crazy amount of $$$. I like this as a hobby, but it’s not my only one.

So, fine gents of B&B, offer me some suggestions, or talk some sense in to me. I enjoy the razors I currently have, but there’s a hole in my razor/brush stand that needs to be filled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use the Game Changer .68 exclusively for a month str8+ and challenge your technique. Then go from there!

For the most part I have been. The 6c as been on loan to a friend for few months now. I’m looking forward to getting it back actually. I’ve used it for 95% of my shaves since getting it in early Oct.

Of the ones you listed on your want list, I would go with the Karve. But I would encourage you to reconsider not wanting a vintage. Look for a vintage Slim, you should be able to pick one of those up for quite a bit less than a Karve. Or Better yet, look for a British made Tech, Aristocrat Junior, or Rocket HD. The Tech would cost less than even the Slim. I've got shiny new razors, & they don't get nearly the use as my vintage razors do. And it's not because I like one more than the other because they're new or old. It's because I like the shave of the vintage more. I know I could spend $200 or more & get a great new razor, but why? I can spend $50 & get a great vintage razor!

Last edited:
If you’re looking for a unique and spiffy razor/brush holder, don’t waste your money on the new stuff. Find a vintage rubber stamp carousel which you can rubberize the clips on.

From here, as far as razors, I would say dip into vintage or dip into a new rabbit hole! Either vintage Gillette adjustable, SR or AC style shavette, or an AC style SE!

Of the ones you listed on your want list, I would go with the Karve. But I would encourage you to reconsider not wanting a vintage. Look for a vintage Slim, you should be able to pick one of those up for quite a bit less than a Karve. Or Better yet, look for a British made Tech, Aristocrat Junior, or Rocket HD. The Tech would cost less than even the Slim. I've got shiny new razors, & they don't get nearly the use as my vintage razors do. And it's not because I like one more than the other because they're new or old. It's because I like the shave of the vintage more. I know I could spend $200 or more & get a great new razor, but why? I can spend $50 & get a great vintage razor!

I guess my dislike of vintage is the blemishes. I know some people aren’t bothered by them but it bugs me. Case in point - this Gillette Tech - it actually does look great until you notice the blemish towards the bottom of the handle.
proxy.php

For $25 (well probably $20 $USD) could probably get past it, but I don’t want to (if that makes sense).

If you’re looking for a unique and spiffy razor/brush holder, don’t waste your money on the new stuff. Find a vintage rubber stamp carousel which you can rubberize the clips on.

From here, as far as razors, I would say dip into vintage or dip into a new rabbit hole! Either vintage Gillette adjustable, SR or AC style shavette, or an AC style SE!

Nah, I have a good razor/brush stand. It’ll be something to store soap in which I’ll look to find or create during the year.

I do have the cjb kamisori in my watch list. And a feather AC is still on my want list too.

I don't blame you for not wanting that one, I wouldn't either. I'm picky, I won't just buy any vintage razor. Mine are all in very good condition, & I don't pay an arm & a leg for them. But I'm not trying to sell you or convince you, just giving you my opinion.

Based on the razors you have on your list, I would consider buying the Karve.

I don't blame you for not wanting that one, I wouldn't either. I'm picky, I won't just buy any vintage razor. Mine are all in very good condition, & I don't pay an arm & a leg for them. But I'm not trying to sell you or convince you, just giving you my opinion.

I second the karve but would wait out for the OC design to see if its any better than their closed comb plates.

I do appreciate the challenge to look at different ideas. I’ll keep a search on eBay. I’d hazard a guess though that the Aussie market will be much smaller and pricier. It’s a bit sad really.

Oh, I’m sorry. I misread your part about having a hole in your razor/brush stand. I wrongly you didn’t have one, not that you had space to put a razor/brush in. My bad, lol. :001_tongu

Haha. All good. I meant that I have space for 3 razors and three brushes. I have the brushes filled, just need another razor. ‘Need’ [emoji13]

I have a 6C and the Game Changer with both plates. Since I bought the GC .84 plate, I rarely use the 6C. I have never tried the Karve or the Rocca, but both are on my list (of things I don't need but might buy anyway). I would suggest picking up the .84 plate for the GC if it's not too expensive to get it shipped to Australia. Otherwise go for the Karve or Rocca unless you feel like spending $$$ on something like a Timeless or ATT.
I share your feelings about vintage razors; I like unblemished razors. Part of the equation for me is the aesthetic appeal of the razor and I just don't get that in vintage razors. I supposed I could buy one and have it re-plated, but why bother when there are so many excellent new razors to choose from?

You have the ‘usual suspects’ on this thread, with the exception of a Wolfman (which is worth the effort IMO)!

If it is shiny that you are after; then get a vintage and have it replated.

Nickle or chrome should give you lots of shine.

Top Bottom