What's new

Brush Profile

What is you Custom to OEM shaving brush ratio?

• 1 Custom:1 OEM

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 2 Custom:1 OEM

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 3 Custom:1 OEM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4+ Custom:1 OEM

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 1 Custom:2 OEM

• 1 Custom:3 OEM

• 1 Custom:4+ OEM

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
While I was looking at my brushes, I have come to realize I have more brushes that are either custom or have been re-knotted than brushes that are OEM. I’m also talking about brushes I have or do actually put to use.
I define an OEM brush as a branded brush, while a custom brush can be one that someone makes to my specs. Rudy Vey’s brushes would be custom, while brush from APShaveCo would actually be more like an OEM brush.
I’d love to know what type of make-up we have in our shave-dens.

All OEM brushes here. None of my knots have failed, but our of like 7 various brushes I only really use 2 synths.

I have 6 custom handle / knot combo's I set and use and 1 Whipped Dog synthetic in the cabinet that I rotate. I used the WD the other day for the 1st time in about 4-5 months and had completely forgot what a great brush it was!! It needs to be used weekly I think...

I like what you are doing by re-knotting old handles, but I don't consider them customs. I see it as you preserving old brush platforms. A true custom, to me, is where I get the maker to spec according to my desires. At this point I don't know enough to have an opinion, much less order a custom. That said, I am all about originality.

I like what you are doing by re-knotting old handles, but I don't consider them customs. I see it as you preserving old brush platforms. A true custom, to me, is where I get the maker to spec according to my desires. At this point I don't know enough to have an opinion, much less order a custom. That said, I am all about originality.

I can’t really disagree with your sentiment here. While using the term
Custom is really subjective, it was the easiest way to start the dialogue. It could be argued that Rudy’s brushes, by the time they arrive at the house, are OEM given the nature of his work. On the other hand, some of the knots I removed were in serviceable condition, but less than what I would want, so they became the brushes I wanted.
So, if OEM is as originally sold, Custom is (1)not as originally sold, or (2)made to the buyer’s specifications, for arguments sake.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have two Omega brushes and a Kent brush, which means I have 50% more brushes than I need. None are custom, although I really ought to reshape the Kent brush, as the handle is horrible.

I can’t really disagree with your sentiment here. While using the term
Custom is really subjective, it was the easiest way to start the dialogue. It could be argued that Rudy’s brushes, by the time they arrive at the house, are OEM given the nature of his work. On the other hand, some of the knots I removed were in serviceable condition, but less than what I would want, so they became the brushes I wanted.
So, if OEM is as originally sold, Custom is (1)not as originally sold, or (2)made to the buyer’s specifications, for arguments sake.
What you are doing with those old brushes is truly amazing. Please post any you've done recently. Good to see you posting more. Merry Christmas.

My OEM brushes are from Simpsons, Vie long and Semogue. I've always seen them as being as artisan companies due to them handmaking brushes.

0:9, unless you count rehoming a knot from a broken handle into a vintage handle with a failed knot.
Then 1:8

Top Bottom