What's new

Looking for a budget Silvertip

Hello gents, as the the title says Im im the market for a silvertip badger brush. Ever since I started fully shaving my fave using a brush and DE I have been using Synthetics. I own A Yaqi Famila Sagrada and WCS Beacon in 24 mm. The Yaqi has a bit shorter knott, but more has more backbone than the WCS beacon. When I started shaving with a DE about 7 years ago, I used an Escali Badger brush from amazon because that's all I could afford at the time. Now im in a bit better position financially and have a budget of under $50 for a silvertip. So what do you gents recommend? Im open to any lower grades of badger if you guys think I can still get a lather out of them. For reference I use Proraso cream and face lather exclusively. I will also be getting a Caties bubbles soap amd an artisan Shoppe foe christmas.

If you are happy with your WCS Beacon you could try a west coast shaving Silvertip? I own the WCS lantern Silvertip in faux ivory and its been a great brush. No shedding, soft tips with respectable backbone. Lathers both soaps and creams easily and MSRP is about $43. You could also try something like a Simpson 46 in best for $40 on Amazon.

There are plenty of options under $50. A pure with have more scritch, but backbone can be effected by a number of factors such as loft and how thick the knot truly is.
What size?
New, Used, Vintage?

I feel the WCS beacon is missing a bit of backbone. The WCS silvertip is sold out at the moment but now looking it at it seems like a good option. Have you tried any synthetics?

Yaqi 24mm Silvertip Fan knot-- like $30 if I remember right. It is pure luxury in the budget category IMO! (the one on the right with blue handle)

2018-05-20 08.31.36.jpg

2018-12-22 23.57.09.jpg

I feel the WCS beacon is missing a bit of backbone. The WCS silvertip is sold out at the moment but now looking it at it seems like a good option. Have you tried any synthetics?
I’ve never used a synthetic as I’m more of a traditionalist when it comes to shaving so my preference is natural animal hair. I’ve heard great things though. And you’re right it is. They also have a WCS tortioushell torch collection though and it’s dimensions actually have a 2mm bigger knot and one mm less loft so probably even more backbone than mine. And it is in stock for under $50

I took part in the synthetic pass-around(I whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone), and found which ones I liked the most. I also found I really like backbone and an ever-so-slight scritch. Rudy’s group brush(mine was a Standard Silvertip from Shavemac) earlier this year is as good as any of preferred brushes. I like a Finest equally well.

You can buy new & get a Whipped Dog silvertip, or look on BST. Be patient & one will turn up. I’ve purchased several high end brushes on BST in your price range. Consider silvertip or Manchurian white.

You can buy new & get a Whipped Dog silvertip, or look on BST. Be patient & one will turn up. I’ve purchased several high end brushes on BST in your price range. Consider silvertip or Manchurian white.
@dmshaver,
What’s the service like at Whipped Dog? I checked out the site and the handles and knots look great but I’m wondering if they are willing/able to help walk me through what might be best for me. The LOTH got me a Parker CHST for Christmas and now I don’t like that I have to let it dry between uses.

@dmshaver,
What’s the service like at Whipped Dog? I checked out the site and the handles and knots look great but I’m wondering if they are willing/able to help walk me through what might be best for me. The LOTH got me a Parker CHST for Christmas and now I don’t like that I have to let it dry between uses.
Larry is well known for some of the best customer service in the industry. He returns emails promptly unlike some vendors!! I had one of his 24mm Silvertips that was an outstanding brush but unfortunately I changed my den over to an all synthetic line up and it was sold on the BST. I still use one of his synthetics in my rotation and its probably the one knot that I judge all others by. From order to my door was about 4-5 days total.

If you are looking for an inexpensive brush, I recommend that you stay with synthetic or boar brushes. You can get some good ones for less than $20.

With badger brushes, it depends on your preferences. I have a couple of badger brushes that I purchased for about $30 each. One is a VDH pure badger. The other is a Olivina black badger. I absolutely hate the Olivina and strongly dislike the VDH. However, I like brushes that are soft, yet have decent backbone. These two brushes are rough on my sensitive skin and the Olivina has very little backbone. I no longer use either of these brushes. If I had taken the $60 I spent on these two brushes and purchased a single brush for $60, I might have something usable.

Once you get up to the $50+ range, your options improve significantly as noted by others above. Again, it depends on what you are looking for. Many folks recommend the Semogue Owners Club two-band badger; I concur. I have a Parker silvertip that is soft, but has limited backbone. It is great for lathering creams and soft soaps. I have a Parker best badger that is not quite as soft, but has good backbone. So again, you have to decide what you are looking for in a brush. Just because one person loves their brush does not mean you will.

I got a maggards two band for Christmas and it is an awesome brush. Lots of backbone yet very soft. Face lathering feels like my face is on a brand new feather pillow. I looked on their site and it is $26. The solid aluminum handle is very nice, but a little slick when soapy. I put some rubber bands around the handle and it has a nice grip now.

I'll also second Larry at Whipped Dog. I can't speak to Yaqis because I've never used one.

send Larry an email describing what you want, and what characteristically you want out of it and he can recommend a set up for you. with silvertips, lowering the loft will yield more backbone and keep the tips soft on the face. I still have a 20mm set at 45mm loft of his as a traveler.

IMO the Yaqi brush you are already using performs as well or better that a budget badger will. The Yaqi Famila Sagrada or Sagrada Familia is an excellent brush with a good balance of backbone and splay with nice soft feel on your face.

Find a ratty old brush.
Watch the Kensurfs vids on restoring them.
Buy a Virginia Sheng Silvertip knot.
done.
At least that worked for me lol

Larry at Whipped Dog is awesome. My first, and still a favorite silver tip. I have the high mountain 24mm set at normal depth.

I have a WCS Ancient Stone edition silver tip badger, and it compares favorably with a Duke best that I owned and sold after getting the WCS brush. It’s currently $50 and change.

If you are willing to stretch the budget by a whopping $8, try the Vulfix 2234s super badger brush w/ 22mm diameter knot, $58 @ www.fendrihan.com/products/vulfix-2234-super-badger-shaving-brush-faux-ivory-handle?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&msclkid=1fe179715602119e99c32550ecfb66de&utm_campaign=CN%20-%20Shopping%20-%20USA&utm_term=4577816663239242&utm_content=All%20Products

Vulfix is an old school brush maker with production facilities on the Isle of Man. It doesn't get much more traditional than this. Not "silvertip" but the price is right and some feel that Vulfix's "super badger" is better than other "silvertip" brushes. Too bad there is no consistency in the brush field.

Top Bottom