What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was good.

12-21-18.Injun.Kit..JPG

Everything went well enough today. Not perfect but pretty good.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

It got me through the work day. Nice kit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Is that your first SR shave that got you through the day Jim?

Nah, I've taken several of my SR shaves to work and gotten through the workday. Once I figured out how to get a razor - just one razor - sharp enough it began to fall into place some.

Mind you, none of my straight razor shaves so far have equalled my usual shaves with the Schick E-2. The E-2 shaves are closer and longer lasting and my skin is closer to smooth. Plus, the E-2 shaves are much easier, quicker, faster, and all that.

However, the SR shaves are very comfortable and the results are interesting in how they're different from safety razor results - I'm not sure how to describe the difference but I like them - consistently different.

Also, the SR shaves seem to be gradually improving. The curve isn't steady or smooth but I'm making some progress recently. I'm hoping to improve a lot more.

That's a longer answer than you probably wanted.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

Got the notification this brush is being shipped. I've tried before to order it and been told it was not in stock, even though the vendor listed it as available, but it looks like it might actually show up in my mailbox soon after Christmas. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm optimistic this time.

9-29-19.X3.Mondial.Kit.640.JPG

I hope the knot is as good as the aluminum Mondial boar. I think they're the same knot but I'm making some assumptions there.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nah, I've taken several of my SR shaves to work and gotten through the workday. Once I figured out how to get a razor - just one razor - sharp enough it began to fall into place some.

Thats what I think its all about. Finding the right finished edge, then adjusting shave feel by blade and grind type.

proxy.php

Got the notification this brush is being shipped. I've tried before to order it and been told it was not in stock, even though the vendor listed it as available, but it looks like it might actually show up in my mailbox soon after Christmas. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm optimistic this time.

Jim

Really like the look of that brush Jim.

Maybe it's because it has a matte finish to the handle instead of something glossy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-12-23_13-14-47.png

Sunday's shave was good. I skipped a shave on Saturday which set me up for Sunday.

12-23-18.Kit.Injun.Valobra.640.JPG

Yaqi brush. Nice.

Valobra. The soap is a fougere, or so it says on the container, but what I smell is soap. Not that soap is bad. Valobra is good stuff, but, at least to me, it's not in the league with 1912 or SV. Still, if all I had was Valobra I'd feel like a king. That's how good many of the soaps we use are, in my view of them; our not so great soaps are some of the best soaps in the history of shaving. Our best, top tier soaps are out of this world.

I will one day take the Boker Red Injun to the finishing hones to see if I can get it even sharper, but it is quite sharp now especially compared to any straight I've previously used whether honed by me or professionally honed. That's quite a statement, but it's true as far as I can tell.

The progression I used, beginning with the burr method and progressing to the 12K Japanese Pro Shapton (not the US version) which is actually 15K according to several sources + the Hard Black Arkansas + CrOx on a linen strop worked a treat for me.

But, I think it can be even better!

If you haven't read A Short Essay On How Straight Razor Shaving Used To Be read it this very minute. You're wasting your time on my drivel when you could be reading something truly informative.

proxy.php

Imagine a man a hundred years ago using the kit I just used and telling you the soap could be better and the razor could be sharper! Hard to imagine. We sure have it great, don't we.

upload_2018-12-23_13-3-7.png

Not that I'm planning to send all my soaps overseas and start using nothing but Williams, but it's a good time for me to be counting my blessings and realizing how fortunate I am to have a hot shower whenever I want one, etc.

Sponge.Sink.640.12-23-18.JPG

I'm being very careful with buying anything except necessities right recently, but I went to Home Depot and scored this very nice sponge in the grout tools section for the princely sum of about $1.67. I'm going to see how I like it for cleaning the soap off my SR during my shaves and after my shaves as opposed to running the edge under hot running water. So far, so good. Big sponge for a reasonable price I think; I read on B&B that this is the sponge to get for the purpose.

The photos shows my typical set up for SR shaves. I always keep the styptic pencil handy to use immediately right through the lather at any sign of blood, but I rarely need to use it.

Just to top things off with some incredibly good products I have these on hand.

My SR shaves are not where I hope they will be, but I'm progressing. That's all that I can do. I'm only half way through the expected hundred shave SR learning process and look how good things are going already. Pretty good for a guy who was as terrified of the straight razor as I was (and I have the scars to illustrate how I became terrified of the SR).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Things are progressing nicely Jim.

At least your not giving up, like I thought you were a few weeks ago.
Getting the bevel right seems to have set you back on the path again.

How did the scales work out in the end, the ones you soaked in acetone?
Did you manage to salvage them?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Things are progressing nicely Jim.

At least your not giving up, like I thought you were a few weeks ago.
Getting the bevel right seems to have set you back on the path again.

How did the scales work out in the end, the ones you soaked in acetone?
Did you manage to salvage them?

I was not going to give up, but I sure was stuck and somewhat discouraged, etc.

I've not tried to do anything with the acetone damaged scales. I'm going to before too long. It's impossible to tell if they're salvageable yet. If not, I can make more. However, I don't want to drill more holes wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Valobra. The soap is a fougere, or so it says on the container, but what I smell is soap. Not that soap is bad. Valobra is good stuff, but, at least to me, it's not in the league with 1912 or SV. Still, if all I had was Valobra I'd feel like a king. That's how good many of the soaps we use are, in my view of them; our not so great soaps are some of the best soaps in the history of shaving. Our best, top tier soaps are out of this world.

It really is something we you stop and think about it. Every time I complain about something trivial like a soap, or blade or whatever, I get the "First world problems!" comment with an eye roll lol.

This seldom goes over well lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
GoldenRule.11-16,10-25-16.640.JPG

This razor is my Golden Rule. It was made in the USA. I've not measured it but it was sold as an 11/16" razor by John Loc.

Anyhow, this afternoon the razor went through the progressions on my stone set from bevel setting (burr method) to the Hard Black Arkansas and everything in between.

As far as I can tell without shaving with it the Golden Peacock came out fine.

proxy.php

I was not particularly pleased with the process. I felt more awkward than I should have I think. I also noticed that the strokes on the stones where I drew the razor towards me seemed much smoother and much more correct than the strokes where the razor was moving away from me.

Other than the hard part of the bevel setting, everything was done with the stone in my off hand.

proxy.php

I'll probably shave with this razor tomorrow morning. The shave test is the only way I know of to be sure the honing was at all effective. I am fairly confident the honing was effective because of how the thumb pad test went. The edge feels sharp by that sharpness test.

I have no idea how to actually do the other tests in a consistent and meaningful manner so I'm not trying them today.

proxy.php

If pushed to guess I suspect more and more frequent honing would improve my skills.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 937551

This razor is my Golden Rule. It was made in the USA. I've not measured it but it was sold as an 11/16" razor by John Loc.

Anyhow, this afternoon the razor went through the progressions on my stone set from bevel setting (burr method) to the Hard Black Arkansas and everything in between.

As far as I can tell without shaving with it the Golden Peacock came out fine.

proxy.php

I was not particularly pleased with the process. I felt more awkward than I should have I think. I also noticed that the strokes on the stones where I drew the razor towards me seemed much smoother and much more correct than the strokes where the razor was moving away from me.

Other than the hard part of the bevel setting, everything was done with the stone in my off hand.

proxy.php

I'll probably shave with this razor tomorrow morning. The shave test is the only way I know of to be sure the honing was at all effective. I am fairly confident the honing was effective because of how the thumb pad test went. The edge feels sharp by that sharpness test.

I have no idea how to actually do the other tests in a consistent and meaningful manner so I'm not trying them today.

proxy.php

If pushed to guess I suspect more and more frequent honing would improve my skills.

Happy shaves,

Jim

crossed-fingers.png

I know what your saying about the honing stroke being better in one direction than the other.

I have the same issue and it does get better with experience.

My stones are all used with a stone holder on a flat fixed surface, with the exception of the Thuringian.
It's small and light enough to hold in my hand.

Here is to hoping your honing efforts were the way you wanted them to turn out. :a50:

I hold the Thuringian in my left hand. At first it was awkward, but in about a week, the muscle memory kicked in. Muscle memory is fascinating. It actually can build with rest it seems. In other words, you don't always have to perform the motion to build muscle memory. That's why they say rest is important for learning to play a musical instrument.

I've just opted for a coticule. After obsessing yesterday, I found one on Amazon for much less than popular shaving sites. My interest primary was having a slurry type stone that was wet and go that represented multiple grits, apparently 6000-8000 depending on water and pressure.

While I love the films, I don't want to have to depend on something so disposable. Over time I might get a 1000 or 1500 stone or I might just get a packet of 30 micron films...a life time supply. From there to coticule and then finish on the Thuringian.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Christmas Eve shave was an early Christmas gift.

GoldenPeacock.Cremo.Oud.640..JPG

I don't want to overdo the gushing, but this was a nice shave.

I think the razor was both pretty sharp and pretty comfortable. I'd judge it as perhaps a better result than I got with my previous best honing effort.

12-14-18.Red.Injun.Sharp.640.JPG

Without doing a side by side it's hard to be sure, but I think maybe the Golden Rule razor is a tad better honed than the Red Injun. Not that the Injun isn't nice indeed, but the Peacock sure is nice, too, and maybe nicer.

The other variable change was using Cremo Shave Cream as a preshave, applied right before I began face lathering. Perhaps it increased slickness, but I wasn't blown away by its effect. I expected more, but I'm not complaining and I'll try it again.

So far, I've only used witch hazel post shave but I'll probably apply stuff after my shower later in the afternoon. We have a Christmas Eve party to attend; we've been getting together with mostly the same group on the 24th for more than thirty years.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here is to hoping your honing efforts were the way you wanted them to turn out. :a50:

I hold the Thuringian in my left hand. At first it was awkward, but in about a week, the muscle memory kicked in. Muscle memory is fascinating. It actually can build with rest it seems. In other words, you don't always have to perform the motion to build muscle memory. That's why they say rest is important for learning to play a musical instrument.

I've just opted for a coticule. After obsessing yesterday, I found one on Amazon for much less than popular shaving sites. My interest primary was having a slurry type stone that was wet and go that represented multiple grits, apparently 6000-8000 depending on water and pressure.

While I love the films, I don't want to have to depend on something so disposable. Over time I might get a 1000 or 1500 stone or I might just get a packet of 30 micron films...a life time supply. From there to coticule and then finish on the Thuringian.

What's the world coming to? Next we'll have on Amazon jnats?

I'll be interested in how you like the coticule. I really like my Hard Black Arkansas!

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
View attachment 937457

Sunday's shave was good. I skipped a shave on Saturday which set me up for Sunday.

View attachment 937451

Yaqi brush. Nice.

I will one day take the Boker Red Injun to the finishing hones to see if I can get it even sharper, but it is quite sharp now especially compared to any straight I've previously used whether honed by me or professionally honed. That's quite a statement, but it's true as far as I can tell.

The progression I used, beginning with the burr method and progressing to the 12K Japanese Pro Shapton (not the US version) which is actually 15K according to several sources + the Hard Black Arkansas + CrOx on a linen strop worked a treat for me.

But, I think it can be even better!

If you haven't read A Short Essay On How Straight Razor Shaving Used To Be read it this very minute. You're wasting your time on my drivel when you could be reading something truly informative.

proxy.php

Imagine a man a hundred years ago using the kit I just used and telling you the soap could be better and the razor could be sharper! Hard to imagine. We sure have it great, don't we.

View attachment 937453

Not that I'm planning to send all my soaps overseas and start using nothing but Williams, but it's a good time for me to be counting my blessings and realizing how fortunate I am to have a hot shower whenever I want one, etc.

View attachment 937454

I'm being very careful with buying anything except necessities right recently, but I went to Home Depot and scored this very nice sponge in the grout tools section for the princely sum of about $1.67. I'm going to see how I like it for cleaning the soap off my SR during my shaves and after my shaves as opposed to running the edge under hot running water. So far, so good. Big sponge for a reasonable price I think; I read on B&B that this is the sponge to get for the purpose.

The photos shows my typical set up for SR shaves. I always keep the styptic pencil handy to use immediately right through the lather at any sign of blood, but I rarely need to use it.

View attachment 937455

Just to top things off with some incredibly good products I have these on hand.

My SR shaves are not where I hope they will be, but I'm progressing. That's all that I can do. I'm only half way through the expected hundred shave SR learning process and look how good things are going already. Pretty good for a guy who was as terrified of the straight razor as I was (and I have the scars to illustrate how I became terrified of the SR).

Happy shaves,

Jim
I buy those sponges by the half dozen. They are remarkable and a must have for every household.

What's the world coming to? Next we'll have on Amazon jnats?

I'll be interested in how you like the coticule. I really like my Hard Black Arkansas!

Happy shaves,

Jim
Really, I just like playing in the mud...huh...I mean slurry. Happy Holidays, Jim. ;)

What intrigued me with coticules were that depending on the slurry or no slurry the honing grit could change quite a bit and that's why some use then Dilucot method for honing using one stone.

Sounds like you've got this honing lark licked Jim.
Glad things are working out for you now.
Then all you'll need to worry about is what razor to use, and soap of course.
A nice place to be.

Talking about soap.
Two parcels turned up at my door today.
One from @Cal containing two soaps.

soapsfromcal.JPG

What I generous soul he is.
Going to try the 63 tonight.

The other parcel was my Charnley Forrest stone.
Something to play with over the holidays.

Have a great evening out!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sounds like you've got this honing lark licked Jim.
Glad things are working out for you now.
Then all you'll need to worry about is what razor to use, and soap of course.
A nice place to be.

Talking about soap.
Two parcels turned up at my door today.
One from @Cal containing two soaps.

View attachment 937763

What I generous soul he is.
Going to try the 63 tonight.

The other parcel was my Charnley Forrest stone.
Something to play with over the holidays.

Have a great evening out!

You're going to love the SV! I hydrate the stuff until it's running down my chest.

Wonderful of Cal to be so generous!

Happy shaves and Merry Christmas,

Jim

Top Bottom