What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Getting my Karve soon... The website says, " As is the case with all uncoated brass items, a patina will form over time and the surfaces will darken."...

Should I clean it regularly to keep it from getting too dark? I like the aged look, but I still want it to be in the brass range. Not looking for an all black razor, lol.

Will the brass have issues as it is unfinished... Rust... Corrosion... Mold... Water damage? I don't know.

Any special care... Does it have to be put away totally dry, as an example? My Rockwell usually has some residual water on it when put away, especially between the plates where the blade is.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It depends on how fussy u r about your gear.

Brass if taken care off will not turn black or rusty looking unless if its in contact with other metals like iron that easily rusts. It left alone it'll turn into something like this.

proxy.php

I can't speak for others but I want my brass shiny n new so I'll clean it up w basso then apply something like bees wax or something that will seal in the shine for a while.

Also I'll try to unscrew the razor so the water doesn't cause rust spots where the razor comes in contact w the steel blad. I won't polish the insides of the plates if possible so the alignment is perfect. Christ didn't want to polish his razors cos he wanted them to be as precise as possible.

Hope this helps

It depends on how fussy u r about your gear.

Brass if taken care off will not turn black or rusty looking unless if its in contact with other metals like iron that easily rusts. It left alone it'll turn into something like this.

proxy.php

I can't speak for others but I want my brass shiny n new so I'll clean it up w basso then apply something like bees wax or something that will seal in the shine for a while.

Also I'll try to unscrew the razor so the water doesn't cause rust spots where the razor comes in contact w the steel blad. I won't polish the insides of the plates if possible so the alignment is perfect. Christ didn't want to polish his razors cos he wanted them to be as precise as possible.

Hope this helps
Bees wax... Hmm. Is this a bees wax based sealant, or just straight bees wax? I think I'll want it to darken a bit then seal it. The pictures you showed are a bit too weathered for my taste.

Thanks!

No razor should be put away wet with a blade still in it... Bad things can happen doing it that way!! I break down whatever razor I use after every shave. I wipe down both plates, handle, and the blade. Then reassemble it so its ready for the next days shave. I usually do this right after applying the alum bar to my face as I have a couple minutes to kill anyway and also clean my brush that I used at that time also. It doesn't take very long to do both every shave and I have never had any problems with residue, rust, or anything else... Very easy to do...

No razor should be put away wet with a blade still in it... Bad things can happen doing it that way!! I break down whatever razor I use after every shave. I wipe down both plates, handle, and the blade. Then reassemble it so its ready for the next days shave. I usually do this right after applying the alum bar to my face as I have a couple minutes to kill anyway and also clean my brush that I used at that time also. It doesn't take very long to do both every shave and I have never had any problems with residue, rust, or anything else... Very easy to do...
Ahh, well next shave I need to start doing this. Thanks!

So I ordered some Maas Metal Protector. I couldn't find anything about it working or not for uncoated brass. I am hoping it will work, or at least not destroy a new razor. Any input? Thanks.

Ahh, well next shave I need to start doing this. Thanks!

So I ordered some Maas Metal Protector. I couldn't find anything about it working or not for uncoated brass. I am hoping it will work, or at least not destroy a new razor. Any input? Thanks.

You might look into getting some Renaissance Wax for what you are looking to do... That is what I see most using for brass.

You might look into getting some Renaissance Wax for what you are looking to do... That is what I see most using for brass.
Gotcha. I cancelled the Maas order and ordered some Renaissance wax. If I'm reading it correctly, it won't clean it just seal it so it stays in the same patina?

How often does this stuff need to be applied? Shaving with either warm / hot water won't remove it quickly?

Thanks, the advise is very much appreciated. [emoji846]

Gotcha. I cancelled the Maas order and ordered some Renaissance wax. If I'm reading it correctly, it won't clean it just seal it so it stays in the same patina?

How often does this stuff need to be applied? Shaving with either warm / hot water won't remove it quickly?

Thanks, the advise is very much appreciated. [emoji846]

I've never actually used it but have seen a few posts in this forum and others that its being used. The last person I saw posted about it was @Scaramouche , he may know better... Try doing a forum search for it too...

Well turns out my Fiancee had not gotten me a Christmas present yet , and told me to pick something out.

I picked a 3.25 handle with A,B, & C plates. Whenever it gets here I will be happy to add it to the den & join the club.
I went with those plates based on reading a ton of feedback, and my personal rotation preferences.

Well turns out my Fiancee had not gotten me a Christmas present yet , and told me to pick something out.

I picked a 3.25 handle with A,B, & C plates. Whenever it gets here I will be happy to add it to the den & join the club.
I went with those plates based on reading a ton of feedback, and my personal rotation preferences.

What can I say... I told u so, I told u so lol!

I've never actually used it but have seen a few posts in this forum and others that its being used. The last person I saw posted about it was @Scaramouche , he may know better... Try doing a forum search for it too...
I had trouble finding the previous posts, so I reached out to @Scaramouche. He was very nice and provided me with some great information. Since I see others interested in this wax, I thought I would share. Hope this is as helpful to all of you as it was to me. (Thank you Scaramouche!)

Here is what he said:

"Renaissance Wax is a microcrystaline wax actually developed by the British Museum back in the '50s for the preservation of museum specimens (metal, wood and ivory mostly), and is a great protectant for metal (and plastic) razors. While it won't completely prevent corrosion (or remove it if it's present), it's been used routinely by museums on copper, bronze and silver coins to preserve their patina from moisture and handling. Also often used on historical metal weapons instead of oil (which wears off and can become gummy). It's fairly durable stuff, and I usually apply it to new polished metal every couple or three months - six months would probably be enough. It will wear off eventually, but is fairly resistant to soap and hot water; hot organic solvents will remove it, but it's probably the best protectant that can be easily applied and renewed - a small can will last literally years: just wipe on a thin layer with a cloth and polish after it's dry. You'll still need to use brass polish periodically if you want to keep that bright shiny look, but the wax will slow the oxidation process so you won't need to polish as often.

... The key is using it after you have the razor in the condition you want it - patina or shine - and applying at regular intervals (I admit I'm somewhat OCD). It will slow down the "patina" process but it won't stop it, so for the "shiny" crowd, they'll need to wipe down with alcohol or other solvent periodically and re-polish. For the "patina" crowd, it evens out the color and prevents water or fingerprints from blotching the finish. I actually prefer the look of my Timeless Bronze after it's developed the character of an aged bronze color - it really does look "Timeless!" "

Let me add, for those with Prime, Amazon does have Renaissance Wax (about $15)... So you can have it quick for your Christmas razor use (that's what I did). [emoji16]

Will I run into any issues if I let it patina naturally and only rinse and wipe after shave? Or is too much patina bad.

Last edited:
I had trouble finding the previous posts, so I reached out to @Scaramouche. He was very nice and provided me with some great information. Since I see others interested in this wax, I thought I would share. Hope this is as helpful to all of you as it was to me. (Thank you Scaramouche!)

Here is what he said:

"Renaissance Wax is a microcrystaline wax actually developed by the British Museum back in the '50s for the preservation of museum specimens (metal, wood and ivory mostly), and is a great protectant for metal (and plastic) razors. While it won't completely prevent corrosion (or remove it if it's present), it's been used routinely by museums on copper, bronze and silver coins to preserve their patina from moisture and handling. Also often used on historical metal weapons instead of oil (which wears off and can become gummy). It's fairly durable stuff, and I usually apply it to new polished metal every couple or three months - six months would probably be enough. It will wear off eventually, but is fairly resistant to soap and hot water; hot organic solvents will remove it, but it's probably the best protectant that can be easily applied and renewed - a small can will last literally years: just wipe on a thin layer with a cloth and polish after it's dry. You'll still need to use brass polish periodically if you want to keep that bright shiny look, but the wax will slow the oxidation process so you won't need to polish as often.

... The key is using it after you have the razor in the condition you want it - patina or shine - and applying at regular intervals (I admit I'm somewhat OCD). It will slow down the "patina" process but it won't stop it, so for the "shiny" crowd, they'll need to wipe down with alcohol or other solvent periodically and re-polish. For the "patina" crowd, it evens out the color and prevents water or fingerprints from blotching the finish. I actually prefer the look of my Timeless Bronze after it's developed the character of an aged bronze color - it really does look "Timeless!" "

:clap::clap:

Will I run into any issues if I let it patina naturally and only rinse and wipe after shave? Or is too much patina bad.

You won't run into any issues if you clean it. But it will still patina slowly over time. And that should not affect your shaves at all, only the cosmetics of the razor.

As my wife and I are celebrating Christmas early this year (due to work, travel and family commitments meaning we won’t get to spend much time together next week), I finally got to try out my Karve this evening (after many months of waiting).

I wasn’t sure how I would get on with the more aggressive plates so, seeing as I had three days growth, I decided to plump for the E plate (which is the most aggressive of the plates I got with the razor).

I was expecting it to give a pretty harsh shave considering the blade gap and was very pleasantly surprised when this wasn’t the case. It felt pretty smooth and gave a brilliant shave.

I’ll try the opposite end of the spectrum tomorrow (the AA plate) and see how that fares. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom