What's new

Endgame... The ATT SE1/Schick Proline Journal

IMAG1025_1_1.jpg

IMAG0702_1.jpg

This journal will be about different experiences past and present, mostly about the SE1 though.

Can we also post our experiences with this heavenly combination?? I adore this combo and now only use the prolines with the SE1. [emoji3060][emoji41]

I've been hanging out in the DE forum and recommended the Razorock DE1 to someone. I haven't used the DE1 in over a year, so I decided to compare it to the SE1 on Monday. It wasn't much of a comparison though.

I loaded the DE1 with a fresh Polsilver Si and got to it. Knowing there's little blade exposure to play with, I started applying all kinds of pressure.

I only shave ATG with the SE1 so I did so with the DE1 as well.

I was able to get BBS out of it but it wasn't as close as with the SE1. How do I know you might ask? I shaved until I no longer got any feedback and couldn't feel stubble by lightly rubbing my face. Rubbing with pressure, I could feel stubble in some areas. Here's the comparison, I picked up the SE1 and cleaned up any stubble it could find, there was feedback in some areas.

The DE1 performed great with considerable pressure, but didn't deliver the extremely results I'm use to.

Probably didn't need to apply as much pressure as I did and I was rewarded with considerable sting from the AS.

I've been hanging out in the DE forum and recommended the Razorock DE1 to someone. I haven't used the DE1 in over a year, so I decided to compare it to the SE1 on Monday. It wasn't much of a comparison though.

I loaded the DE1 with a fresh Polsilver Si and got to it. Knowing there's little blade exposure to play with, I started applying all kinds of pressure.

I only shave ATG with the SE1 so I did so with the DE1 as well.

I was able to get BBS out of it but it wasn't as close as with the SE1. How do I know you might ask? I shaved until I no longer got any feedback and couldn't feel stubble by lightly rubbing my face. Rubbing with pressure, I could feel stubble in some areas. Here's the comparison, I picked up the SE1 and cleaned up any stubble it could find, there was feedback in some areas.

The DE1 performed great with considerable pressure, but didn't deliver the extremely results I'm use to.

Probably didn't need to apply as much pressure as I did and I was rewarded with considerable sting from the AS.
I'm usually a stickler for balance but violate those rules for my two favorite mild razors, the DE1 and Stahly, which I greatly prefer with heavier handles. I don't expect the same level of efficiency as my SEs but the shaves are equally enjoyable and results perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
which I greatly prefer with heavier handles.

I believe the DE1 weighs around 100 grams with the sorry slippery handle it came with. I'll double check when I get home. It weighs 91 grams, total weight, with the stainless steel handle I'm using.

I don't expect the same level of efficiency as my SEs

I don't expect the same level of efficiency either, which is why I'm experimenting with pressure, for science!

I believe the DE1 weighs around 100 grams with the sorry slippery handle it came with. I'll double check when I get home. It weighs 91 grams, total weight, with the stainless steel handle I'm using.

I don't expect the same level of efficiency either, which is why I'm experimenting with pressure, for science!
Ah ok, I have a Baili version with a lighter handle I don't much care for.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This journal

wait-wait-wait-a-minute.jpg

Which dimension am I in? Anthony, started a journal?

Try a Feather if you have any. They really bring the milder razors up a notch or two, but they still wont shave as closely as something with more blade exposure. 8 hours max BBS with my Brit clone and a Feather. 12+ with my Grande, 14+ with my MMOC. My Brit clone is as comfortable as my MMOC too, it just cant cut as deeply.

I'm out. SE2 head goes on BST. The only thing I like about it is the handle, which I'll keep. I stopped mid shave with it this morning and grabbed the Stahly. Much better for me.
proxy.php

I'm out. SE2 head goes on BST. The only thing I like about it is the handle, which I'll keep. I stopped mid shave with it this morning and grabbed the Stahly. Much better for me.
proxy.php

If you want to try the SE1, I have an extra baseplate, say the word!

Word. I'll try, though I think the weight and wide format are more the problem for me than the exposure. Thanks :)

You'll need the cap, so don't put it on the BST just yet. PM your address, I had it from the Bic blades, but that was a while ago.

View attachment 936812

Which dimension am I in? Anthony, started a journal?

Try a Feather if you have any. They really bring the milder razors up a notch or two, but they still wont shave as closely as something with more blade exposure. 8 hours max BBS with my Brit clone and a Feather. 12+ with my Grande, 14+ with my MMOC. My Brit clone is as comfortable as my MMOC too, it just cant cut as deeply.

It's a different dimension for sure!

I may give the Feather a try, but with the uncontrolled amount of pressure that I'm purposely applying, I didn't want to peal any skin!

wide format

In places on my neck and above my lip, I only use part of the width. I can also apply more pressure to one side of the razor as needed. Hard to explain, I basically regulate the pressure throughout the width depending on where the stubble is.

In places on my neck and above my lip, I only use part of the width. I can also apply more pressure to one side of the razor as needed. Hard to explain, I basically regulate the pressure throughout the width depending on where the stubble is.
I just don't see yet the gain in efficiency the format brings being worth the trade-off in maneuverability. I didn't take up wet shaving in a race to get out of the bathroom.

I just don't see yet the gain in efficiency the format brings being worth the trade-off in maneuverability. I didn't take up wet shaving in a race to get out of the bathroom.

The width wasn't the selling point for me, didn't like it at first, but now I love it, not an issue.

All the hype said the AC blade was the sharpest blade of any blade. I found out real quick that wasn't true at all. Until I met the Proline. The Schick Proline and GEM SS PTFE are my two top blades. I like the weight and handle choice of the SE1 over the Micromatics. I prefer the MMOC as a head shaver, I think the GEM blade is slightly sharper than the Proline, but only noticeable on my head shave. Haven't shaved my head since August.

The only razor that would give my SE1/Proline some competition is when @Stan makes a mini SE1 that takes the Schick Proline B injector blade. I haven't heard of any such plans to make one but it would definitely be a winner. I don't care for the injector choices that use the Proline B blade.

Top Bottom