What's new

DECEMBER 2018 SCORES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, December is here and Winter, and the holidays, are only a few weeks away.......

Yes we are definitely in the downside of the year, Gents, and the air is much sharper than before. So, button up your coat, put on the scarf and gloves and spend an extra hour or two on the hunt, visiting the familiar places and perhaps seeking new ones you could discover in search of that elusive find ... and, you never know, you may stumble on that special something because ...

The Scores do await, whether in the wild and online. And when you find one, oh does it feel so good!

And Gents, when you snag one please let us know.

Because, we all want to see and think ... Lucky Dog! I need one of THOSE....

Today I received the second of two orders I placed with the Holy Black on black friday. I've been wanting to try the Tell-Tale Heart AS and they offer some simply packaged bottles as their "secret stash". I was very pleased with the product and availability, but the packaging overall really left something to be desired. I received the Tangerine Creeper AS yesterday and it was in a flimsy plastic bottle with a label that was too large and bunched up around the contoured edges. It works but looks and feels cheap. I wish they at least used glass. Nevertheless, the Tell-Tale Heart splash actually leaked a bit on the package invoice. Not much, so I am not going to make a claim. Both packages also were shipped in bubble wrap envelopes instead of small boxes. Again just a poor choice. Just because the products were kept simpler and did not include all the theming, they are still quality items that still cost enough to show more care. With that aside, I can't wait to try out my new Tell-Tale Heart AS. I thought it would go good with Flowers in the Dark so I did not order the Holy Black matching soap. The Holy Black claimed the AS was the center piece of the set so this was my focus. BTW, the Tangerine Creeper soap & splash was fantastic this morning. It really worked awesome and will be a great addition to the den.
Steve

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

I've been collecting and keeping my eye out for razors for years now and yesterday I had a once in a lifetime score (and I almost missed it too)

I acquired a legit Gillette Safety TOGGLE in the original box with paperwork and everything. Found it at an antique store

$38.88 later its mine

Today I picked up a small pottery bowl at the High School during my son's parent teacher conferences. I thought it looked cool, was made by the students, and the purchased helped the kids raise funds. It is a little shallow, but the surface is wide and textured enough to lather some soap for a change of pace from my daily scuttle.
Steve

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

Today I received a package with some seasonal fun. Picked up Cane! & Kiritimati soap and AS bundles from PAA with the CK-6 formula. I am pretty psyched to try these guys, but wish they would stick with the 4oz tubs and cut the price by 20%. I'm sure the formula will be very competitive with the best that charge the same, but I do not favor being forced to buy 20% more of something that has a 33% price increase per once. Nevertheless, they should be great. I will be trying Cane! tomorrow morning and it smells nice and fresh out of the tub. I also picked up another empty tub for my shampoos. As such I will break in the High Jump 47 shampoo I bought earlier. The PAA shampoos are really fantastic.
Steve

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

On the way from Maximilian for my early Christmas, Max does such great work. I never liked the original Filarmonica scales so I had the razor completely restored by Max. Its in the mail and on it's way.
Attachment-1 (003).jpg

I was in Sylva North Carolina today and picked up an Old Spice Mug, Old Spice Shave Soap, Colgate Mug Soap, a barber hone and a Gillette Blade Holder.

20181216_195213.jpg

If anyone else is in Sylva, the shop is Dixie & Co on Main Street. They have quite a few other old shaving / barber items. Old boar brushes, single and double edge razors, straights, etc. A Rolls Razor and a DE blade sharpener.

20181216_112703.jpg

20181216_113432.jpg

20181216_114450.jpg

20181216_112707.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is strange that we had a parcel delivery this evening but it's more than likely from the mail service trying to catch from the mail rotating strike recently. Now I have a couple of extra GEM mmoc that I thought were a right off because they where delivered to the wrong address , so I went ahead and ordered two more and they all showed up. This story ended well so I'm leaving it there. These Razors are like new after going through sterilization and cleaning and the Gillette techmatic is not going to be used but it is a neat razor that the astronauts used in the Apollo space program. I got a Gillette old type with the split handle and that razor got some major use because the owner wore most of the nickel off the top cap. I had a spare Tech handle and that one will get used down the road, that razor was used when Gillette had only the 3 holed blades. Enjoy some vintage razor history, I know I sure am.
From the Wild Dec 16-2018 (2).jpg

Today I received the second of two orders I placed with the Holy Black on black friday. I've been wanting to try the Tell-Tale Heart AS and they offer some simply packaged bottles as their "secret stash". I was very pleased with the product and availability, but the packaging overall really left something to be desired. I received the Tangerine Creeper AS yesterday and it was in a flimsy plastic bottle with a label that was too large and bunched up around the contoured edges. It works but looks and feels cheap. I wish they at least used glass. Nevertheless, the Tell-Tale Heart splash actually leaked a bit on the package invoice. Not much, so I am not going to make a claim. Both packages also were shipped in bubble wrap envelopes instead of small boxes. Again just a poor choice. Just because the products were kept simpler and did not include all the theming, they are still quality items that still cost enough to show more care. With that aside, I can't wait to try out my new Tell-Tale Heart AS. I thought it would go good with Flowers in the Dark so I did not order the Holy Black matching soap. The Holy Black claimed the AS was the center piece of the set so this was my focus. BTW, the Tangerine Creeper soap & splash was fantastic this morning. It really worked awesome and will be a great addition to the den.
Steve

View attachment 932058
View attachment 932059
Steve were the prices on these lower than normal retail, with that type of packaging?

Steve were the prices on these lower than normal retail, with that type of packaging?
Yeah, just in simple plastic bottles for the AS and metal tin for the soap. They were reduced in pricing but they did not contain all the elaborate theming. Still quite enjoyable and if this is the only way I could acquire them I think it was a good deal. I just wish they had more of the Lavender Creeper AS.
Steve

This is strange that we had a parcel delivery this evening but it's more than likely from the mail service trying to catch from the mail rotating strike recently. Now I have a couple of extra GEM mmoc that I thought were a right off because they where delivered to the wrong address , so I went ahead and ordered two more and they all showed up. This story ended well so I'm leaving it there. These Razors are like new after going through sterilization and cleaning and the Gillette techmatic is not going to be used but it is a neat razor that the astronauts used in the Apollo space program. I got a Gillette old type with the split handle and that razor got some major use because the owner wore most of the nickel off the top cap. I had a spare Tech handle and that one will get used down the road, that razor was used when Gillette had only the 3 holed blades. Enjoy some vintage razor history, I know I sure am.
View attachment 935888
Great surprise from the mail! I received a Techmatic from a razor lot earlier this month. It cleaned up well and was only on the 4th blade rotation. So with 3 shaves left, I have been tempted to try it. Gotta be brave though, I have heard it can be pretty rough.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great surprise from the mail! I received a Techmatic from a razor lot earlier this month. It cleaned up well and was only on the 4th blade rotation. So with 3 shaves left, I have been tempted to try it. Gotta be brave though, I have heard it can be pretty rough.
Yup brave......., make sure you soak it in alcohol or at least boil it before you use it just in case you nick yourself. Good luck. Let me know what you think of it.

Received a couple of last minute items to enjoy during the holiday season - Keepsake Fruitcake and Magi AS and shave soaps. Both Actually smell great and I will choose Magi tomorrow for my Christmas shave. Merry Christmas everyone.
Steve

IMG_2199.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom